Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SOMA (Frictional Games)

Iucounu

Educated
My impression is that people often believe more in these things when under stress.
Nah. Stress can just as easily cause people to lose heart and all hope in anything better than the current predicament. "Everything right now is so much awful than I had ever expected, I no longer have any faith or hope left" is just as likely of a reaction as "everything right now is awful, I now have high hopes for a bright future in heaven", if not more.
There are some like the former in SOMA as well, but they're obviously not part of the cult.

The funny thing about the SOMA cultists (the group of people who thought that if you kill yourself immediately after digitizing your brain, then your identity will carry over to the digital clone) is that, as deluded as they were, at least they acknowledged the existence of an identity crisis.

Most sci fi stories with a transhumanist bent either ignore it wholesale, or explain it away with vague bullshit that doesn't mean anything.
What identity crisis, the one arising from having a cloned mind?

In other settings I can imagine some practical problems with clones, for example if all of them demand individual voting rights in political elections.

Altered Carbon does deal with this, but not particularly deep, the main character fights an earlier version of himself.
Altered Carbon is what I had in mind for this, and it is one of the WORST offenders. All the rich and powerful people pay big bucks to install satellite uplinks, only to have themselves continuously replaced with digital clones, and nobody ever addresses the fact that this is not extending their lives at all. :lol:

Altered Carbon has this problem and also doesn't.

Billionaires backing themselves up via satellites obviously doesn't really help, they are still dead. But if your consciousness is literally simulated within a stack, then as long as that particular stack survives, you can re-sleeve as many times as you want and it will always be a continuation of the same consciousness.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Are you saying that the elites have their real brains physically located on the satellite, and the one in their body on Earth is just a thin client? But if so, then there would be no need to periodically upload memories to the satellite archive, and the whole plot line of season one could never happen.

Are you saying that the elites have their real brains physically located on the satellite, and the one in their body on Earth is just a thin client? But if so, then there would be no need to periodically upload memories to the satellite archive, and the whole plot line of season one could never happen.

No.

I'm saying that it's heavily implied in the show that your stack is what stores your consciousness, and your sleeve doesn't matter/is disposable. Your consciousness continues when you move between sleeves, and can be "spun up" and resumed independently of a sleeve.

If your stack is destroyed, you're dead.

Elites have the extra ability to "clone" themselves by creating a new stack from their backup, but it's not the same person. It's a copy. They can continue their legacy, but it's not the same consciousness.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I'm saying that it's heavily implied in the show that your stack is what stores your consciousness, and your sleeve doesn't matter/is disposable.
Oh, yes, you're right, I forgot that the brain isn't even preserved between bodies, only the brain implant. Well, that makes it even more retarded, because that means nobody's life is ever extended, digital backup or no backup. People just get replaced by clones with their memories all the time, but the dumb show acts as if it's the same self that just hops from one body to another.

Elites have the extra ability to "clone" themselves by creating a new stack from their backup, but it's not the same person. It's a copy. They can continue their legacy, but it's not the same consciousness.
The characters definitely don't act accordingly. The series thinks they are the same person, because it's retarded. Moot point anyway, given the above.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Yes, if the stack is physically moved between sleeves.
Not even then. Unless we suppose that the "stack" is an artificial brain, and everyone who has had it installed has already died and been replaced with a simulation.

Yes, if the stack is physically moved between sleeves.
Not even then. Unless we suppose that the "stack" is an artificial brain, and everyone who has had it installed has already died and been replaced with a simulation.

This is literally it.

It is an artificial brain. We know this because multiple times during the show stacks are "spun up" independently of a body.

Everyone has them installed at birth, which makes me think we kill everyone at birth, and from them on, they essentially have a single stream of consciousness until their stack is destroyed.

The characters definitely don't act accordingly. The series thinks they are the same person, because it's retarded. Moot point anyway, given the above.

I think the elites are so afraid of death that they will believe anything.

But it could also just be bad writing.

The shows writing was definitely a roller coaster of quality for the first 2 seasons.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Here’s an old post analyzing inconsistencies in the game’s writing: https://web.archive.org/web/2022061...5/10/soma-bit-of-diatribe-just-wee-teeny.html

Why do people go out of their way to not enjoy things?
It does raise a good point that the WAU’s behavior is inconsistent. The writers wrote the story around what would be freaky and scary rather than what would make sense. In one facility it traps everyone in a dream, while in another it kills everyone, then in another it somehow cobbles together the Frontflesh and drags Imogen’s corpse through a vent… yet at other points it’s stated to not understand humans and this is why its attempts to help them always go wrong.

Iucounu

Educated
Here’s an old post analyzing inconsistencies in the game’s writing: https://web.archive.org/web/2022061...5/10/soma-bit-of-diatribe-just-wee-teeny.html
Some nice detective work, but also some silly reasoning. I suspect the writer was young at the time.

I've always been sceptical about the claim Catherine was a lesbian. The blogger writes: "Reed was a woman stationed at Theta, someone Catherine had a thing for but it appears Reed wasn't interested". What is the basis for that? I recall reading (but haven't seen) that in the live action videos, Reed had a picture of Catherine in her locker(?), which rather suggests Reed was interested in Catherine. There's also a comment by Catherine that Reed "was...nice to me", which could mean anything (unless you're brainwashed by the Pride cult to see homosexuality everywhere). There also a log note(?) saying that Reed's scan was "too real" to play well with the other scans, which again could mean anything.

Why do people go out of their way to not enjoy things?
The writer claims to have played the game only twice, doesn't like it, yet spent a lot more time than that dissecting it in every detail. We are also informed that "my friend played it along with me via Skype and was not scared at all."

It does raise a good point that the WAU’s behavior is inconsistent. The writers wrote the story around what would be freaky and scary rather than what would make sense. In one facility it traps everyone in a dream, while in another it kills everyone, then in another it somehow cobbles together the Frontflesh and drags Imogen’s corpse through a vent… yet at other points it’s stated to not understand humans and this is why its attempts to help them always go wrong.
One explanation could be that the WAU is developing and learning by trial and error. I don't remember enough of the chronological order to draw any conclusions about the direction its learning was heading, but I recall Catherine assumed Simon was its latest and best creation (except for Catherine herself)?

I don't understand why Reed's body had to be pulled through a vent. Surely the robot that managed to do that could simply have opened the door to the room from the outside instead? Or was the corridor outside inaccessible, and the vent was the only way into it from where the robot came?

The writer claims to have played the game only twice, doesn't like it, yet spent a lot more time than that dissecting it in every detail. We are also informed that "my friend played it along with me via Skype and was not scared at all."

honestly, I don't understand where this whole "SOMA isn't scary" garbage came from. I blame the main source of this being a particularly garbage youtube "video essayist", but the idea that a game isn't good if it's "not scary enough for you" is insane. SOMA is terrifying in it's thought and philosophy, not necessarily it's moment-to-moment-gameplay (although I highly doubt these peoples claims anyway. I don't know a single person who wasn't scared like a little baby in the server room against the proxies).

It's like gamers will go out of their way to only analyse horror on the most basic, surface level, and will probably then complain about horror being "nothing but jumpscares" now.

Gamers are stupid.

Ehh, not really.

It's clearly stated in-game that the reason the WAU killed everyone in Omicron was because Omicron was a direct threat, and various staff members at Omicron had a plan to destroy it via modified structure gel. In the WAUs view, saving humanity is it's primary goal (in ANY form, including as mostly lifeless zombies), but in order to achieve that goal, it needed to also survive. Thus, the survivors at Omicron had to go. By it's computational logic, the needs of the many always override the needs of the few.

The article does raise some points where there are valid inconsistencies. But it also gets so much wrong. What it does get right is largely not majorly impactful on the story, and I'm sure anyone could nitpick any game story to death, that doesn't make it bad. Half-Life 2 is widely regarded as excellent by the gaming community at large and it's many people's favourite game of all time, but the entire game world in HL2 is an inconsistent mess. Nobody cares because everyone loves the game. When people want to find a reason to hate a game, they will always find something to hate about it.

The tripe in this article can be safely ignored.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
It's clearly stated in-game that the reason the WAU killed everyone in Omicron was because Omicron was a direct threat, and various staff members at Omicron had a plan to destroy it via modified structure gel. In the WAUs view, saving humanity is it's primary goal (in ANY form, including as mostly lifeless zombies), but in order to achieve that goal, it needed to also survive. Thus, the survivors at Omicron had to go. By it's computational logic, the needs of the many always override the needs of the few.
That is never "clearly stated in-game."

You encounter Ross, a deranged cyberzombie trying to kill the WAU for creating and torturing cyberzombies. He says:
"She was going to take care of it – But the WAU shrieked! They all died – But you, you! You took the gel from the cabinet".

Ross has every reason to say the WAU is deliberately attempting to kill humans, that it is trying to kill Simon in order to motivate him. Instead, he just says it "shrieked" without any further elaboration. He doesn't ascribe any desire or motive to it, despite having every reason to lie about how it works or genuinely believe so. He never says the WAU is evil because it is deliberately trying to kill humans and poses an existential threat to any survivors (such as those at the other Carthage facilities across the globe). He says quite specifically that it is torturing the memory of humanity and that's why it must be destroyed.

Undelivered Report #3 – ‘Things are out of hand. The staff looks like they are about to explode. Every other person walks around with nosebleeds, and the rest keep wiping stains of blood from their eyes to keep them from overflowing. It’s to do with the WAU trying to free Ross somehow, for sure. At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if the body just got up and left. Raleigh Herber, our Dispatcher, has been snooping around asking questions she shouldn’t. She says she’s going down the abyss to find Alpha. I can’t bring myself to stop her….aaaaAAARRRGH!
WAU was already messing with the blackboxes for days before the explosion happened. It's entirely reasonable to conclude that the explosion was an accident. No other time in the game or the logs does the WAU engage in radio warfare. Indeed Simon and Catherine never discuss this event, when you would expect them to be very disturbed by it (Catherine especially since they were her co-workers) or to worry that WAU might attack them to. Catherine herself is a skilled programmer who made immense strides in the field of brain emulation in post-apocalyptic conditions, and she has nothing to say about the WAU's behavior? What?

Also, undelivered report #3 had an unvoiced subtitle removed in patches:
"No need for the company to be worried, if she does go into the abyss, she won't make it far, she .... argh!"
The "company" here meaning Carthage; remember, they have other facilities. The fact that her head explodes right after she says this is obviously meant to imply that Carthage is responsible, murdering Raleigh to prevent her from interfering (and killing everyone else in the process, maybe not intentionally). This line was removed in patches, which suggests it was part of a (sub?)plot removed during development in which Carthage played a larger role and was likely antagonistic.

Perhaps the most damning bit is that the WAU makes no attempt to stop Simon from using the reset gel. When he walks right up to it, it lets him plug into it through a convenient plug and reset it to factory default. Why would it blowup Omicron but create a plug to let Simon kill it? The murderbots obviously don't discriminate, since they attack Simon (and presumably each other). The WAU does nothing to stop them from killing each other and human survivors? Why?

For that matter, how could the WAU simultaneously be smart enough to adopt a utilitarian philosophy but be so stupid as to think insane murderbots should replace humans? If it's smart enough to understand utilitarianism, then it should be smart enough to avoid the many problems it causes. If it can create the talking "Frontflesh" in the Transmissions videos based on photographs and voice logs of a personnel's family, then it should be able to hold a basic conversation like a modern LLM given that it is a century more advanced than current LLMs. But there are numerous inconsistencies in the WAU's various experiments that suggest it doesn't really learn from trial and error, or at least not very well. It somehow managed to make wildlife populations rebound after crashing according to one terminal, but all its other experiments are horrific cyberzombies, fusions of humans and sea life, humans minds stuck in robot bodies that quickly go insane, and whatever the hell the Frontflesh is. There's no rhyme or reason to any of it.

Being able to think in utilitarian terms and plot mass murder for the sake of a hypothetical future necessarily requires the WAU to be an AGI (i.e. human-level or higher intellect), but there's no other evidence anywhere that's the case. Quite the opposite, the WAU seems vastly less advanced than current algorithms despite having vastly more responsibilities than we give to whole teams of humans and able to create things like the Frontflesh. You really find it believable that WAU can simultaneously think in utilitarian logic and plot mass murder for the sake of a hypothetical distant future, while simultaneously it is stupid enough to think insane murderbots killing each other are a desirable goal and is too stupid to communicate even by facsimile like our current stochastic parrots can?

I don't believe the WAU deliberately slaughtered Omicron because that requires way too much competence and forethought for an AI that otherwise behaves like it doesn't understand the consequences of its actions. I believe claims that it deliberately slaughtered Omicron according to utilitarian logic are pure projection on the part of commentators.

EDIT: I saw a convincing hypothesis on reddit speculating that the WAU was trying to communicate with Omicron and killed them accidentally when it was trying to explain itself but they didn't understand.

EDIT: I just remembered that one log mentions the blackboxes are installed with "Failsafe CRTH4", another part of the Carthage conspiracy I mentioned. It's mentioned in this timeline.

Last edited:

Iucounu

Educated
Perhaps the most damning bit is that the WAU makes no attempt to stop Simon from using the reset gel. When he walks right up to it, it lets him plug into it through a convenient plug and reset it to factory default. Why would it blowup Omicron but create a plug to let Simon kill it? The murderbots obviously don't discriminate, since they attack Simon (and presumably each other). The WAU does nothing to stop them from killing each other and human survivors? Why?

For that matter, how could the WAU simultaneously be smart enough to adopt a utilitarian philosophy but be so stupid as to think insane murderbots should replace humans? If it's smart enough to understand utilitarianism, then it should be smart enough to avoid the many problems it causes.
My impression is that the WAU "thinks" in ways that are unfathomable by ordinary humans. So it's not acting out of empathy, compassion or similar humans motives; but perhaps more like a scientist performing experiments on lab rats. Indeed Simon himself injects structure gel into a dead rat, making it come back to life, without regard for its future wellbeing.

EDIT: I just remembered that one log mentions the blackboxes are installed with "Failsafe CRTH4", another part of the Carthage conspiracy I mentioned. It's mentioned in this timeline.
Yeah, I guess the only way for heads to explode in the first place is if the company required such implants. That doesn't mean that Carthage set off the explosives though. Since all life on land is assumed to be dead, that would require some other underwater facility (with higher authority than the one SOMA takes place in) to set them off by remote control. But it could also be the WAU deliberately or accidentally setting them off.

JRIz

Augur
I think it's super alien that no one seems to even get the idea that humanity could also actually be saved, being the last survivors and all. I guess that's the greatest horror.

Iucounu

Educated
I think it's super alien that no one seems to even get the idea that humanity could also actually be saved, being the last survivors and all. I guess that's the greatest horror.
You mean, saved by the WAU? That would take a lot of structure gel, unless the remaining people could eventually be released. But it seems to be one of the game's premises that all land life is gone (even though the only source is the crew logs on the sunken ship), and also most of the ocean life (though there's a lot of sea grass still growing in depths where it should be too dark, so the the game's biology is not entirely convincing).

JRIz

Augur
You mean, saved by the WAU?
I mean by resettling the surface/staying underwater as long as it takes. But maybe one premise is also that Earth will never be inhabitable again and that food will run out. Still under these circumstances, it's weird that the only idea they can come up with is uploading themselves to a fucking computer and then committing suicide :hahano: Then again, this is probably what some modern men really would do...

Ripsipaps

Literate
You mean, saved by the WAU? That would take a lot of structure gel, unless the remaining people could eventually be released. But it seems to be one of the game's premises that all land life is gone (even though the only source is the crew logs on the sunken ship), and also most of the ocean life (though there's a lot of sea grass still growing in depths where it should be too dark, so the the game's biology is not entirely convincing).
There were also WAU infected fish swimming around, making it seem like this was the next step in evolution. But then again PATHOS-II was going to run out of power soon so it was all doomed.

Spukrian

Savant
Biology huh? Something that annoyed me quite a bit was that the sea spiders in the game look like regular spiders.

Normie sea spiders already look scary as shit. No need to touch them up with mutations.
Yes, but Frictional literally put land dwelling spiders underwater instead of using real sea spiders.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom