Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Something useful if you use dosbox on linux

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
https://gist.github.com/i30817/12a91a7e79a94ebadc3da1839bfc0e6d

This script:
  1. creates a overlay filesystem that joins a dosbox games 'read only directory' (which can totally be read+write, the point is that the writes will be redirected elsewhere) with a write dir on $USER/.cache/dosbox and mount the thing.
  2. Then it searches there for *.conf files (the files dosbox ... and gog... uses to launch games and configure the machine) and shows a list of them for you to select to start the game/configure program/whatever the person that packaged the game thought important. This is using dosbox support to merge config files so you're still using your default configs except if overridden (though you need the game conf file ofc).
I will use this with another compressed filesystem mount beforehand just because i can, but it can be used on a normal dir. The intent is to make possible to play from a read only system in particular, but also to 'preserve' a dosbox game install to a pristine state that allows no chance of you or the game fucking it up permanently (just delete the appropriate cache dir).

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
updated this, same link. Now it won't ask for game dir every time (even if it wasn't 'really' asking every time, just a bit of code flow lazyness).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom