Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sony is on butthurt rage

Suchy

Arcane
Sony is threatening to sue anybody posting or “distributing” the first full-fledged jailbreak code for the 4-year-old PlayStation 3 gaming console.

What’s more, the company is demanding that a federal judge order Google to surrender the IP addresses and other identifying information (PDF) of those who have viewed or commented about the jailbreak video on a private YouTube page. The game maker is also demanding that Twitter provide the identities of a host of hackers who first unveiled a limited version of the hack in December.

Sony’s aggressive pretrial discovery demands come in its lawsuit against George Hotz. The 21-year-old New Jersey hacker, who is well known in the jailbreaking community, published the finished PlayStation 3 code and a how-to YouTube video last month. The code allows the Playstation 3 to play pirated and homebrewed games.

Sony wants the information “to determine the identities of third parties hosting and distributing the circumvention devices” so Sony can send them a DMCA notice to remove the material “and, if necessary, seek appropriate relief from this court.” (PDF)

“The discovery they call for in my opinion is overbroad,” Hotz’ attorney, Stewart Kellar, said in a telephone interview.

Sony declined comment.

Moar: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... 3-hack.ars

:smug:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Haha!

I doubt Sony will be able to get companies to give personal information as it likely would cause more issues with customers of those companies holding the private information.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
This will backfire horribly.

You'd think Sony would have learned from the last several times they've tried shit like this.

DragoFireheart

Xor said:
This will backfire horribly.

You'd think Sony would have learned from the last several times they've tried shit like this.

I predict that this may be a straw that breaks the camels back per say.

TripJack

Hedonist
Pathetic.

C5 B2 BF A1 A4 13 DD 16 F2 6D 31 C0 F2 ED 47 20 DC FB 06 70
Maybe they will sue the codex now too.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If I had PS3 and didn't jailbreak it yet then I'd definitely would do it now :smug:

Rogue

Educated
Wait ... so it's someone else's fault that the are incompetent dumbfucks that made a product that's easily hacked? Sheesh, talk about butthurt. I think their money would be better spend developing a more secure system if they are so paranoid about hacks.

Raging butthurt japanese CEO: What? They they hacked our PS3???? SUE EVERYONE THAT MADE THE HACK, DISTRIBUED THE HACK OR EVEN READ ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!! SUE THEM ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!11111111111111

Take a chill pill and eat your rice, lol. :thumbsup:

DragoFireheart

DraQ said:
Really I thought it was obvious that $ony wasn't particularly interested in even pretending to not be evil back during their first rootkit fiasco. Why is everyone suddenly acting surprised?

It's not so much surprise of shock as it's more like a pleasant surprise to see karma fucking Sony over.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
DraQ said:
Really I thought it was obvious that $ony wasn't particularly interested in even pretending to not be evil back during their first rootkit fiasco. Why is everyone suddenly acting surprised?

Poor memory.

Suchy

Arcane
Moar lulz
http://www.gamersmint.com/kevin-butler- ... urity-key/
The VP of Awesomeness just turned into the VP of Ignorance, apparently.

Kevin Butler, the PS3′s brand ambassador, who holds many fictional positions for promoting the brand, recently tweeted the METLDR root key aka the PS3′s security key after being tricked into doing so by a dude who’s obviously much smarter than him.

The guy sent him the following tweet: http://twitter.com/exiva/status/35172035655106560

To which Kevin replied, hoping to make fun of him: http://twitter.com/wiregr/status/35235034025824256

It wasn’t long before he realized what he has done as the internet erupted and informed him about his folly. The tweet has been deleted since then but noone can delete the innumerous RTs and reports which were made as a result of it.

We would just advise Kevin to be more careful in future and not to make a complete joke of himself and the company he’s endorsing. The PS3 security key release, caused ripples worldwide and it’s quiet appalling that Sony’s favorite VP was oblivious to it all along.
kevin-butler-ps3-code-rmeng.jpg

:yeah:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wonder if this counts as Sony officially publishing the key?

MapMan

Arcane
This is retarded, just like with PSP. A non 'hacked' PSP is useless. With homebrew a whole new spectrum of possibilities opens.

Coyote

Arcane
Rogue said:
Raging butthurt japanese CEO: What? They they hacked our PS3???? SUE EVERYONE THAT MADE THE HACK, DISTRIBUED THE HACK OR EVEN READ ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!! SUE THEM ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!11111111111111

"Who is this George Hotz guy? I want him dead! I want his family dead! I want his dog dead!"

Arem

Scholar
Butthurt or not, few of the hackers have been already scared.

Suchy said:
Moar lulz
http://www.gamersmint.com/kevin-butler- ... urity-key/
The VP of Awesomeness just turned into the VP of Ignorance, apparently.

Kevin Butler, the PS3′s brand ambassador, who holds many fictional positions for promoting the brand, recently tweeted the METLDR root key aka the PS3′s security key after being tricked into doing so by a dude who’s obviously much smarter than him.

The guy sent him the following tweet: http://twitter.com/exiva/status/35172035655106560

To which Kevin replied, hoping to make fun of him: http://twitter.com/wiregr/status/35235034025824256

It wasn’t long before he realized what he has done as the internet erupted and informed him about his folly. The tweet has been deleted since then but noone can delete the innumerous RTs and reports which were made as a result of it.

We would just advise Kevin to be more careful in future and not to make a complete joke of himself and the company he’s endorsing. The PS3 security key release, caused ripples worldwide and it’s quiet appalling that Sony’s favorite VP was oblivious to it all along.
kevin-butler-ps3-code-rmeng.jpg
Contrary to what the article states, that isn't the METLDR key, but some obsolete USB dongle key. Now if he retweeted the root key THAT would be a disaster :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom