Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space sims like Freespace

abstract

Scholar
Data4 said:
Recommend me a FS2 mod. I'mma go dig up the disks in the meantime. I'm thinking the Babylon Project might be among the most recommended.

SCP + user campaigns like Sync & Transcend (I never thought space sims could be creepy), Derelict or Blue Planet.

DraQ

Arcane
I haven't played the I-War series, but I've heard only good things about it. The series seems pretty hardcore, with Newtonian flight model, complex spacecraft and such.

I repeat my recommendation for Frontier and FFE - open, sandbox (do what you want as long as it pays the fuel and service bills) spacesims featuring uprecedented scale (whole fucking galaxy, with about a billion stars, most having their planetary systems pictured in an astronomically correct way, complete with orbital motion, and in 1:1 scale), realistic physics (it's Newtonian all the way, gravity included) and surprisingly good accessibility (with autopilot installed the ship can fly almost on it's own).

You are not a fucking man if you haven't played them.

Vival

Augur
Since nobody has mentioned it yet, i will throw in the much overlooked "Tachyon: The Fringe". It's similar to Privateer but without trading and aliens if I remember correctly. During its storyline you've to choose between two conflicting factions which will influence the story progression and which ships/guns are available to you. Also, Bruce Campbell's voice acting of the main character was rather memorable.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
DraQ said:
You are not a fucking man if you haven't played them, bought the biggest transporter, and shot yourself down with your own turret.
fix'd

Data4

Arcane
Freespace 2 original campaign with SCP enhancements: OH GOD ITS HEAVAN!

I imagine the majority of people reading this thread have already played Freespace 2, and if you haven't, it's probably because you have no interest in the genre and are reading this thread out of curiosity. This post isn't necessarily for you.

Now, those of you who DO have an interest in the genre, but haven't played FS2 before, DO NOT HESITATE TO GET IT! Good Old Games is selling it on the cheap. I don't know if they're selling it for $6 or $10, but either way, it's worth it. It's simply one of the finest space combat games ever made.

The reasons are subjective. Everyone has his favorite aspects, differing opinions, etc. As for me, I'm liking it so much because of the presentation. It does what it does very well, in such a way to (holding my breath as I type this) immerse you in the role of a space combat pilot. Yet, it's not an RPG. It works its magic in the form of well-done training modules, for starters. I've done many, many real world computer based training modules, and Freespace 2 manages to make them realistic (given the context of their presentation), yet enjoyable and helpful. You learn your controls, energy, communications, and weapons systems easily, and the feeling after the training is that you've accomplished something and now you're ready to take on whatever is out there.

The missions are a mixed bag. Some are short and simple, while others are long and multitiered. There have been a few hiccups where I've been te lone fighter in my wing chasing down the last bad guy whose shields will not go down no matter how much I unleash on him. Meanwhile, my wingmen are just happily flying along, and since I'm not in a command role, I can't order them to attack my target.

That's only happened once, and I was able to eventually defeat the enemy fighter after having unloaded a combined total of over a thousand missiles at him and god-knows-how-many laser blasts. Ridiculous, yes, but in the end, not a game breaker since the mission was able to be completed.

I'm still very much in the middle of the game, but I wanted to write a bit about it to explain just why the game is so good.

And the SCP improvements? Gorgeous! The game was ahead of its time anyway, but with the SCP, the idea that it's over 8 years old never occurs to me.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Now, those of you who DO have an interest in the genre, but haven't played FS2 before, DO NOT HESITATE TO GET IT! Good Old Games is selling it on the cheap. I don't know if they're selling it for $6 or $10, but either way, it's worth it. It's simply one of the finest space combat games ever made.
Ok, what happened to Skyway, normaly he would come running, shouting about Freespace being an open-source and all that.

NiM82

Prophet
Yet another vote for I-WAR2, especially if you couple it with the Torn Stars mod which allows for more free-form play and has better trading etc.

almantas

Novice
I really wanted to play freespace 2, but it would freeze at the exact same location every freaking time. It really pissed me off. Think i'll try again.

Severian Silk

You can also try Star Wolves. It's not really like Freespace, but rather an RPG in Space with Homeworld-esque ship controls (i.e., third-person, not first-person). I recently got it for $9.99 off of GamersGate, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

I can also vouch for Tachyon: The Fringe, having personally played it and enjoyed it.

Aquanox is a futuristic sub sim that is in many ways much like a space sim. I own it, but wasn't able to set up the controls properly, so I can only repeat what others have said about it being a good game.

I-WAR 2 is excellent as well. I just wish I hadn't got stuck on one of the last missions so that I could see how it ended.

There's quite a lengthy list at Wikipedia as well.

Data4

Arcane
skyway said:
don't try freespace 2 by itself. Download FS2Open.

Yep. Makes a world of difference. I'm still playing the FS2 OC, but I checked out the Babylon Project. Very, very well done, though for some reason, it doesn't recognize the twist function of my joystick, while FS2 does. I use it for rolling the ship, and is so much a part of my playing style, I'm really missing it when I can't do it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Data4 said:
skyway said:
don't try freespace 2 by itself. Download FS2Open.

Yep. Makes a world of difference. I'm still playing the FS2 OC, but I checked out the Babylon Project. Very, very well done, though for some reason, it doesn't recognize the twist function of my joystick, while FS2 does. I use it for rolling the ship, and is so much a part of my playing style, I'm really missing it when I can't do it.

TBP uses much older version of FS2Open engine. They used 1 year old version in the latest release, while FS2Open made many leaps ahead. Though mostly graphically (but FS2 with shiny bumpmapping and hi-res textures looks nice).
I also like the editor and optimisation of the game - you can make real mass battles there - I was using like ~70 ships fighting in a tight area simultaneously and my old amd xp 2500+ was holding it really well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom