Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpaceVenture - Space Quest spiritual successor by Two Guys from Andromeda

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
There's a scene in the game where you meet the Two Guys, just chilling on beach long chairs.
They say they are supposed to be working on a game, but they're already late, and it might be the end of their careers. They're aware of bugs, but they'd rather just chill on the beach rather than fixing them.

I am not making this up.
This sounds pretty in-character for those two retards, actually. I haven't played it myself but GeorgGreat's Space Quest 3 review really made it clear to me that the "Two Guys" are giant lazy megafaggots. They pull the same shit in that game. Constantly insulting the player for doing anything, lazy and snide environment descriptions ("This is just something the artist put here because he thought it'd look cool"), unfunny Rick and Morty-tier 4th wall breaking humor, etc. The game literally ends with the shitters making fun of you for paying 60 dollars for their terrible product. So it's no surprise that they'd do the same thing in their nostalgiabait cashgrab. Anyone who gave money to these two shitcunts deserves what they got.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have finally finished this. It was painful.

The narrative spread by the defenders of this game is that underneath the bugs and the unfinishness there is a good game.

Sadly not. The puzzle design contains ideas that are not only executed poorly but are bad or uninspired ideas from the very start. The story ends as soon as it's barely starting to pick up. The writing, which is the hallmark of the Space Quest series, is here lacking both in quality (it doesn't suck, it never gets good enough though) but also in quantity as the game lacks the numerous descriptors and jokes from attempting or looking at different things in Space Quest games.

The game can't be salvaged without being redone entirely and the Two Guys wish they were already done without it.

The game ends with the narrator exclaiming "Okay, who wrote this crap ? I just can't . I just can't anymore."

It was Gary Owen's last performance and he passed shortly after recording this.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
My shitting on Space Quest 3 was enough for taxalot to put me on his ignore list, apparently :lol:
The retards who made this game are lazy scammers and always were.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Saw it. Biased review.
SQH banned me on Twitter because I said liking Deponia doesn't mean you endorse Rufus and that you are a Nazi pedophile. He disagreed. Very cool guy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haha, of course they need Ken Williams' help to finally properly finish this: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/3771311

Exciting news on SpaceVenture​

Hello everyone! We wanted to give you a quick update with some pretty exciting news. First off, we wanted to thank you for all the feedback we got on the backer only release build of SpaceVenture. We learned a whole lot about items that needed some serious work on the game. We were able to resolve the vast majority of the issues that were brought up by you all that reported issues to us.

If for some reason you didn't get the email for that build, please await word from us on a new build. That previous build definitely had some issues and we prefer to send out a new build of the game with fixes. So again, if you didn't get that build, please stay tuned for a new more stable build of the game to be released in the future.

After releasing the build of the game towards the end of 2022, we immediately began working on another build, but wanted to make sure we had gotten the reported issues fixed. As always, things slowed down during the holiday season. In January, we began getting ramped up to finalize the new build to send out to you all here at the beginning of 2023, however, we have something really exciting to let you know.

In February, we were contacted by Ken Williams (Co-founder of Sierra On-line/Cygnus Entertainment) about a partnership that would involve some really great possibilities for the future of SpaceVenture. As you are aware, the majority of the team is only able to work on the game part time at this point. And no one is being paid anything, due to being low on funds. We are in talks with Ken about bringing some fresh funding into the project that would involve the following:

• Some full time paid developers that would help solidify the code and fix remaining bugs that will make the game play better. This would also involve making sure code is updated with the latest and greatest version of the Unity engine.
  • QA folks to assist in making sure the game is at the level of quality that it deserves.
  • Plans to release the game on the promised platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android. Cygnus has just released their Colossal Cave game on Playstation, Xbox, Switch and is working on it for mobile devices. If a deal comes together, all of those will be considered for SpaceVenture.
  • Plans to release the game in even more languages, which we will announce once we have confirmed them.
  • Additional promotion/marketing of the game to the public
In return, we will be splitting any income made on SpaceVenture with Cygnus Entertainment. Our agreement with Ken is that no one makes any money off of SpaceVenture until our backer rewards are shipped. Again, to be clear, our agreement will still include the fact that once the game is available on the various online stores for purchase, we will use the income for reward shipping to backers. We still have plans for making an option available to people who would like to pay their shipping ahead of time, in order to get their rewards quicker. We will provide more information on this later.

As a reminder, please do not email us your address for reward shipping. Once the game is publicly available and we are ready to start shipping items out, we will request your address information.

Please understand that no contracts have been signed yet. We are still in the process of talking and Ken’s developers are looking at the project now and we are all trying to get a feel for what will need to happen and an approximate cost/timeline for everything. Since this negotiation put a few things on hold for us, we felt like it would be good for us to let you all know the situation.

Though this agreement is not solidified yet, we are encouraged by the possibility of working with Ken and Cygnus on making sure that SpaceVenture gets the level of polish that it deserves. As always, thank you all so much for your continued patience and support.

KEN AND ROBERTA WILLIAMS / CYGNUS HAVE RELEASED COLOSSAL CAVE

Just in case you're out of the loop, we wanted to do a shout out to Ken and Roberta Williams along with our friend Marcus Mera. They have remade the game "Colossal Cave" into a new 3D/VR adventure game.

Please go check it out when you have some time!

https://www.colossalcave3d.com/

7c585bb0d19df548f5d4a788fddeaf44_original.jpg

SIERRA COLLECTORS QUEST BOOKS

Stephen Emond from Falcon Designs has created some really great books about collecting Sierra On-line video games and more. Please feel free to check it out here:

https://falcondesigns.ca/product-category/sierra/sierra-books/

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
lol, Ken didn't install that software on anyone's computers when I was on the project. I came on in March/April of 2022... the whole way to the end, no one had that on there and we all did more to finish that game than anyone. Maybe it was something he experimented with early on, and learned was more of a pain in the ass.... I dunno. Ken likes to be transparent about what he tries, which is why he mentioned in in the post-mortem. But from my end, I can tell you it wasn't a thing.

I'm excited, I hope this SpaceVenture thing goes through, cause I will be working on it when it does.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been asked a few times whether Roberta and I, and our company Cygnus Entertainment, would get involved with SpaceVenture.

The quick answer is that I'm not sure.

The game is a lot of fun and has great potential. That said, there's some work to be done to get it "perfect" and to roll it to additional platforms. Roberta and I continue to be on overload working on our Colossal Cave game. We've been working hard on adding features that users demanded, and on rolling to additional platforms. For example, we have IOS coming out in the coming weeks, and PlayStation 2 VR plus a huge graphic upgrade.

I told the SpaceVenture team that I'd help them with some of the coding, and meant it, but since that time (months ago), I've done nothing for them. I keep thinking our Colossal Cave project is done, and then something comes up that sucks me back in.

Meanwhile, I believe that the SpaceVenture team is still working on the game. It would be an honor to publish their game, and to help them with development. But, to do that I need the time to focus on it, and time seems to be the one resource I can't seem to find or buy.

And of course, there is also the discussion of whether or not Roberta and I should return to our lives as retired world cruisers (we have a boat we circumnavigated). For now, its a meaningless discussion between Roberta and I. All we do is work on Colossal Cave and until we get it complete and all players happy, we have no time to do anything except continue to work. There will come a day we can poke our heads out of the sand of game development and ask what comes next, and I keep thinking that day is just around the corner, but ... it never seems to arrive.

You know all I know...

-Ken W
:deadhorse:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unity upgrade :deadhorse: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/3989221

Latest news on the project!​

Hey everyone, we hope you're all having a good holiday season. We wanted to do a quick update on the project. We have been in the process during most of this year, trying to move SpaceVenture onto the newer Unity platform. We had built SpaceVenture on an older platform due to the licenses that we purchased back years ago before Unity changed their licensing model. Of course, this was the newest platform back when we purchased the licenses.

What we did not expect was how extremely different things would be on the Apple/Android operating systems during the time period of finishing the game. We originally had licenses for Windows, Linux, Android, Mac, and iOS, however, at this point, the out of date Unity engine that the game was built on, can only produce SpaceVenture on Windows and Linux.

So in order to fulfill the game being released on the other operating systems, we are in the process of moving into the newer Unity engine. As you can probably guess, this has been quite an undertaking due to there being so many changes to the newest engine and the code it supports. We are going scene by scene and fixing all the issues found after the upgrade. Ken Williams’ Cygnus team started to help earlier in the year with this, but due to their game “Colossal Cave Adventure” experiencing some slow downs on its various platforms, they had to switch gears and focus fully on it instead of SpaceVenture.

The SpaceVenture team is now utilizing the newer Unity engine and tools to get everything straight. We are fixing bugs along the way and addressing many of the complaints that we got from our previously released build. We realize that a lot of you would like us to go ahead and release the game onto Steam. It’s important to understand that we only get one shot at making a positive impression with players on Steam, and hopefully get decent ratings/reviews there. We are counting on income from Steam in order to pay for reward shipping to everyone. That being said, if we release on Steam and players are unhappy with the results, it will be tough to make the money we need for the shipping. We don’t want to release the game there until we’ve got it stabilized on the newer Unity platform and have finished addressing concerns from the earlier build. Also once we've got things stable, we'll release an updated build to all of you as well, not to mention Steam keys when the game goes on there.

As always, thank you all for your patience! This has been the longest haul of our lives, but we’re still hauling and not giving up! We hope all of you have a great rest of 2023 and a happy new year!

Get it now on all the following platforms and locations!

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Unity upgrade :deadhorse: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/3989221

Latest news on the project!​

Hey everyone, we hope you're all having a good holiday season. We wanted to do a quick update on the project. We have been in the process during most of this year, trying to move SpaceVenture onto the newer Unity platform. We had built SpaceVenture on an older platform due to the licenses that we purchased back years ago before Unity changed their licensing model. Of course, this was the newest platform back when we purchased the licenses.

What we did not expect was how extremely different things would be on the Apple/Android operating systems during the time period of finishing the game. We originally had licenses for Windows, Linux, Android, Mac, and iOS, however, at this point, the out of date Unity engine that the game was built on, can only produce SpaceVenture on Windows and Linux.

So in order to fulfill the game being released on the other operating systems, we are in the process of moving into the newer Unity engine. As you can probably guess, this has been quite an undertaking due to there being so many changes to the newest engine and the code it supports. We are going scene by scene and fixing all the issues found after the upgrade. Ken Williams’ Cygnus team started to help earlier in the year with this, but due to their game “Colossal Cave Adventure” experiencing some slow downs on its various platforms, they had to switch gears and focus fully on it instead of SpaceVenture.

The SpaceVenture team is now utilizing the newer Unity engine and tools to get everything straight. We are fixing bugs along the way and addressing many of the complaints that we got from our previously released build. We realize that a lot of you would like us to go ahead and release the game onto Steam. It’s important to understand that we only get one shot at making a positive impression with players on Steam, and hopefully get decent ratings/reviews there. We are counting on income from Steam in order to pay for reward shipping to everyone. That being said, if we release on Steam and players are unhappy with the results, it will be tough to make the money we need for the shipping. We don’t want to release the game there until we’ve got it stabilized on the newer Unity platform and have finished addressing concerns from the earlier build. Also once we've got things stable, we'll release an updated build to all of you as well, not to mention Steam keys when the game goes on there.

As always, thank you all for your patience! This has been the longest haul of our lives, but we’re still hauling and not giving up! We hope all of you have a great rest of 2023 and a happy new year!

Get it now on all the following platforms and locations!
I paid $15 for this over 10 years ago and have gotten way more entertainment from these updates than I ever did the game itself. Money well spent.

:lol:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
They do not need an engine change.

They need, above all, a rewrite and to add more interactable objects (good luck, Gary Owens is dead). They need to rework some of the puzzles. The fact that the game was barely functioning was not my biggest issue. The released game felt like a beta of a bad game. Fix the bad game before fixing the beta.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom