Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spell Force - The Order of Dawn

Ellester

Liturgist
I got this game with my new video card and I guess it's a mix of rts and rpg elements. Sounds familiar... Anyway I checked out the web and what I found is it's good, but it's lacking in parts and could have been very good, but it failed in some areas. But, then again these are just reviews, which I think are all a waste of time as they never are right.

I'm curious if anyone has played it and should I waste my hard drive space and time trying out this game. Is it shit, or is it any good?

drexciya

Augur
I liked Spellforce, allthough I hate finger-twitching RTS games and I'm awful at them. :wink: It's a fairly "light" game when it comes to the RTS part, not too complex, allthough some of the missions are quite hard. But this means you have to build up a bigger army (and tower structures) and go all out against the enemy.

The "RPG" part is mostly concerned with solo'ing your hero and some additional heroes. There it is very important to plan the development of your hero. Otherwise you'll get creamed later on. The game is somewhat unforgiving there.

This is the part where the game shines for me; the many ways you can build up your hero and use your hero in combination with other rune heroes.

Ellester

Liturgist
Hmm… I might have to give it a try. But, I have about 3 games that are waiting in line to be played, so we’ll see. But. I wouldn’t mind trying a half rpg/half rts game before Dragonshard comes out. I’m really more curious than excited. You never know, I might like it? The graphics look cool, at least.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
I actually have all three of the Spellforce games and while I haven't gotten around to trying the third one I found the first two to be very enjoyable ( the sequel is a better game, I think) especially during the glut of complete shit that went on last year for decent computer games

Pro's
Good story and characters, good fantasy setting, good character creation options and development, the "hero" system, You main characters and heros you require all "level" and are carried with you throuhg the whole game it's very long you'll get alot of gameply out of it and best of all it's very difficult.

Con's
The RTS option I could actually live with out it's not bad but I felt it would be better if you earned points and spent them on total unitsl before each mission ( I found myself think this game would be even better if it s was more like say, Myth.)

Overall I give it a solid "B" , Exitium will surely chime in here and call it "Crap", and we generally like the same games, so there is an element some people dislike about it.. If you do load it up give it 3 or 4 hours before making a decision it takes a few missions before it's starts really clicking.

Oh yeah, and Order of the Dawn contains the best intro movie, I've seen to date in a computer game.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Exitium said:
I will surely call it crap.

Of course you will and in a couple of years when you're calling it one of the "overlooked gems" of the genre, no one will be suprised :lol:

Ellester

Liturgist
Exitium said:
I will surely call it crap.
A couple of examples of why you say it sucks, might be helpful? That’s why I posted, to see what people thought about the game. I see a couple of reasons why a couple of people like it, which I’ll admit sounds encouraging. And then you say it sucks. Be descriptive.

Seriously, I have a few games waiting to play so I don’t want to waste my time with a certain game. I want to know why it sucks. For example if the rpg elements are like Warcraft 3 rpg elements, then I’m probably not interested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom