Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Splinter Cell any good?

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The first one that is and on the PC with a keyboard and mouse. I was thinking of starting the series but was wondering what others thought of the games, especially the first one.

sah

Liturgist
It won't kill you, but forget about Thief-quality stealth gameplay. The game is quite... rigid in terms of exploration and problem-solving.

uhjghvt

Scholar
I'd say it plays sort of like a dumbed-down version of hitman with a bunch of tom clancy nonsense thrown in for flavor

DefJam101

Arcane
Not worth the time, they are all fairly boring.

The last one is pretty much Spiderman 3 in videogame form, lol.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Only played Pandora Tomorrow. Was decent but, had some good levels but wasn't great. Again if you hope to find the level of gameplay Thief has to offer, you'll be disapointed. It's very linear with most of the time one way to solve problems. As for the story, it's the typical Clancy stuff with no real memorable character.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
excellent series of games, and all 4 SC's are much better than the last Thief game. the SC games are the second-best stealth/action games currently being developed after the Hitman franchise. and SC 5 looks fucking cool, basically it's gonna be something like Assassin's Creed but done RIGHT, and with less GTA-ish crap.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Chaos Theory had the best soundtrack to any game I've played. The gameplay was decent to boot. The first one was too frustrating for me, and Double Agent was too simplistic and forgiving. I felt that Chaos Theory was just right.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
aweigh said:
[...] and all 4 SC's are much better than the last Thief game.

Pandora Tomorrow certainly wasn't as good as Thief 3. Despite its flaws and differences from the previous games, it is still a game worthy of the Thief name. I remember Pandora Tomorrow as being very linear, not offering many different ways to complete the levels and ghosting being next to impossible. As you said yourself it's stealth-action, it's closer to the Hitman or Metal Gear Solid series than Thief. And if we compare the implementation of stealth and the level design, not even going into the story or the setting, Thief is the better game. It fails as an action game but then again it wasn't its purpose.

Now maybe the games after PT took a different way but I doubt the devs tried to go the Thief way.

J1M

Arcane
Do you like sneaking around, and using save/load as the only option to learn a level? Well then you are in luck.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
If you can get past Tom Clancy's moronic stories, you'll find a mediocre sneaking gameplay. If you like this kind of gameplay you'll find the game playable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom