Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat trip report

Gnidrologist said:
Wtf? Skyshit is still here, BEING UPSET about every game in existence and has managed to accumulate whopping 10k posts recycling exactly one single phrase in every possible outline imaginable - this game is shit.
You have to give the hohol a credit. With that kind of retard-endurance radiation in the zone would probably get skywayiated and die from intoxication.

at least he is consistent.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So, the question is, does this game scare you in bits and places like SoC did with the underground lairs and bloodsuckers and controllers here and there?

Raapys

Arcane
Not compared to SoC. I think part of the problem is that they send too many enemies at you, or that the enemies make alot of noise and reveal their presence. When they do turn up, it's hardly unexpected.

DraQ

Arcane
So, is CoP any good?

Secretninja said:
Tails said:
It seems CoP is full of frustrating choices.
I lol'd, then quit reading because I realized he was serious :?
Well, I would make the upgrade system in CS more flexible rather than basically enforcing following one of two paths. I would probably make most weapon upgrades all involve trade offs rather than pure upgrades (because the original weapon is arguably optimized for it's role) and not conform to the simple two trees model. The rest of the weapon upgrades would involve attachables.
I would make rechambering alter the ballistic performance of a gun.
Finally, I'd tweak suit upgrades to be more flexible as well, and introduce another trade-off - upgrades VS artifact slots. This too would make for better flexibility, fit the Duty-Freedom philosophical dichotomy better and wouldn't shoehorn player into one of the two upgrade paths.

As for Duty and Freedom, the guy is right. The difference should be providers of their gear, and artifact-friendliness of their armours, not the role the gear is best suited for.

As for NV, it was horribly broken in CS, and for some reason looked infinitely worse than in SoC. Not surprising given that the devs somehow managed to completely botch the aiming with all pistols, SPAS and underbarrel GLs in the sequel.

Tails

Arbiter
DraQ said:
So, is CoP any good?
I'm still waiting for Euro release but mostly game gets good opinion, simply: Much better then CS, and much more polished then SoC. Current biggest let-down for me is that anomalies are placed in specific areas mostly, so player can in safe way travel most of time, also economy seems still to be broken.
DraQ said:
Finally, I'd tweak suit upgrades to be more flexible as well, and introduce another trade-off - upgrades VS artifact slots.
Some armours have such trade-off.

DraQ said:
As for NV, it was horribly broken in CS, and for some reason looked infinitely worse than in SoC. Not surprising given that the devs somehow managed to completely botch the aiming with all pistols, SPAS and underbarrel GLs in the sequel.
It could be worse then in SoC? later I ask mate for some screen shots of night-vision, overall he finds those in CoP most well done.

DraQ

Arcane
Tails said:
DraQ said:
So, is CoP any good?
I'm still waiting for Euro release but mostly game gets good opinion, simply: Much better then CS, and much more polished then SoC.
Sounds like something I may buy, as long as there is no any extremely retarded DRM in Polish version.
DraQ said:
Finally, I'd tweak suit upgrades to be more flexible as well, and introduce another trade-off - upgrades VS artifact slots.
Some armours have such trade-off.
Not in CS. Artifact slots have their separate upgrade tree there.

It could be worse then in SoC?
Bwuh? Basic NV in SoC was far from convenient, but at least it looked like NV. In CS it looked as if taken from Half-Life: Opposing Force, which is 10 fucking years old, except it barely gave any advantage in darkness, and was only necessary in it's marginal usefulness because nights were pitch-black.

Tails

Arbiter
DraQ said:
Sounds like something I may buy, as long as there is no any extremely retarded DRM in Polish version.
Yeah, lets hope Cenega drops this crap. Currently Russian version has very nice crack that removes DRM without performance penalties.
DraQ said:
Not in CS. Artifact slots have their separate upgrade tree there.
I meant CoP. You have to chose between containers or other stuff, but some armors have extra container(s) as third upgrade.

Bwuh? Basic NV in SoC was far from convenient, but at least it looked like NV. In CS it looked as if taken from Half-Life: Opposing Force, which is 10 fucking years old, except it barely gave any advantage in darkness, and was only necessary in it's marginal usefulness because nights were pitch-black.
Heh I didn't play CS and I don't even recall NV in Opposing Force. For me vanilla SoC NV was barely usable in some armors, SEVA-suits like had probably the best ones.

Anyway, the first patch is out. Changelog looks nice, at last more SP fixes then MP.

DraQ

Arcane
Tails said:
For me vanilla SoC NV was barely usable in some armors, SEVA-suits like had probably the best ones.
I liked this barely usable NV. It helped immensely with finding your way in darkness, but had the feeling of old, beaten up NV device. It also had disadvantages compared to flashlight, and made accurate aiming difficult.

bhlaab

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
Many areas are just empty deserts with stuff thrown in here and there at random.
This isn't surprising though from a piece of poo that was only 8 months in development.

That's sort of the point of STALKER level design

MetalCraze said:
Many areas are just empty deserts with stuff thrown in here and there at random.
This isn't surprising though from a piece of poo that was only 8 months in development.

Skyway fails to understand what Stalker is all about once again. Surprise, surprise.

DraQ

Arcane
I don't really take skyway seriously when talking about stalker and such. I might if he suddenly started to bitch about mirrored guns, questionable differences in characteristics between similar firearms, stupid inability to mount PSO on Groza or Kostyer on Abakan or DE firing .45 round, instead of his usual tripe, but he doesn't.

DraQ said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Oh hi

I finished the game, I'll be buying it
So I take it as recommendation?

No, I am really a zionist agent sent by Triumvirate of Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. My mission is to praise shitty PC games on the Internet so people buy them and decline the platform further.

DraQ

Arcane
Emotional Vampire said:
DraQ said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Oh hi

I finished the game, I'll be buying it
So I take it as recommendation?

No, I am really a zionist agent sent by Triumvirate of Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. My mission is to praise shitty PC games on the Internet so people buy them and decline the platform further.
I didn't add "[intelligence]", my bad.

Found a nice quote about CoP on GSC Forums.

maaaaaan.

GSC really outdid themselves, i gotta say. for a game that bears almost no similarity to the original series, CoP was a much better Fallout than Fallout 3 was. taking into account not only what the player did but what they DIDN'T DO for the ending summary was incredible; most ACTUAL RPGs don't even bother doing that, and here we have an FPS pulling it off perfectly. seeing how Beard managed to bring Skadovsk to the level of the 100 Rads only to have it all torn down by the bloodsuckers i had never dealt with made me feel terrible.

i've been playing videogames since before i could walk and CoP's finale is easily one of the best i've ever seen.

does CoP have the same ridiculous mechanism for compensating for lacking AI by causing all player's bullets from anything that isn't a sniper rifle to magically disappear after traveling 400 feet?

i hated that about the first two games. why bother with a generally realistic-feeling ballistics system and then pull shit like that :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom