Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stalker: hexcrawling in the Zone

Silva

Arcane
I was replaying the PC game Stalker the other day and it occurred to me that its setting and premise would fit nicely in an old schoolish hexcrawl game: you got this huge surface dungeon that is the Chernobyl exclusion zone, full of supernatural threats, you got the protagonists as scavengers and trespassers looking for loot, all the while upgrading their equipment to survive the harsh environment, and you got the safe haven, the "city beside the dungeon" that is the cordon and the outside region.
Besides it, the Stalker theme have getting adaptations from medium to medium - from the book to the movie to the videogame - so I think it was only fair it got an adaptation to the tabletop environment. Now before you say " but there IS a Stalker RPG already!", yeah I know, but I think it taps on a somewhat different style from what could be called traditional, and while I think its certainly an interesting game by itself, I think the traditional "old school sandbox hexcrawl" approach would be too cool and fitting to let pass.
So what I wanted to see is a kind of system-agnostic game where the players open this big hex map of the Zone and set a route for the day, and then roll on tables full of weird encounters and see if they can survive the Slavic radioactive barrens and come back home for vodka and profit, until the day they find the "wish-granter" and retire in big style. I don't care if I need to roll a d6 or a d100 as long as I need to roll for radiation poisoning, starving, and keeping focused against brain-melting psi-waves from the Duga-3 and Brain Scorcher.
So, does such a game exist ? How would you do it ? Tips, ideas, resources, etc. are welcome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom