Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stalker SoC $4.99 on STEAM

cutterjohn

Cipher
<TOPIC> for the weekend. Go get it, if you haven't yet. It's a steal, but is v1.0005 and cannot be upgraded to 1.0006 AFAIK which means little chance of multiplayer.

Multi-headed Cow

I'm Skyway Stalker is shit get out of here stalker baked beans vodka bugs fat dogs artifacts AI Strelok mutants.

DraQ

Arcane
Jaime Lannister said:
DraQ said:
Doesn't Steam(ing) version come with limited number of installs?

No.
Ah, my bad, it's the Steam version of Clear Sky that does that. :oops:

Also, if I want to play my games anywhere I take the discs with me.
While Steam sucks much less than most DRM schemes and it sucked relitively little when it still allowed you to play games in offline mode, it sucks nevertheless.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
You know, playing STALKER the third time, I have noticed that it has one of the best designed difficulty curves that I have seen in a game.

See, if you went through this game in its standard linear progression, you'd have a very gradual increase in the equipment you'd find and the enemies you face. A bandit is weak, but the weapons that he drops are also weak, so dropping one down will take a bit more time. However, he'd atleast be carrying the same ammo you are, so killing them would only cause you to gain ammo rather than lose it. It would also free you from any concern for money, because you are getting your equipment from enemies anyway.

However, maybe if you jumped ahead and explored around. Perhaps, in an abandoned barn, you will find a hidden GP-37 inside a furnace. Maybe you did alot of artifact finding early on, so you can use that money to buy a SEVA suit. So having done that, you can breeze through bandits. You can kill them quickly, not give them the chance to use their medkits, and not get hurt so you can save your own. That way, you save enough medkits for the real guns. However, the bandits would not be carrying the same ammo, and the ammo that you used to kill them would be more expensive than what they have with themselves. So, it's actually a monetary loss to use better guns and equipment on weaker enemies, even if it brings you other advantages. Buying more ammo for the GP-37 from the few traders in the game will cause your money to flush down quickly, even though normally you can earn it as quickly.

So it's a very neat system. You can move through the gradual progression of the game, even though it is less efficient. But you can also jump ahead of the difficulty curve, but it will take alot of effort and will cost you alot of consideration. It's a good balanced system.

RPGs should learn from it, because they have taken the quick and easy route of level-scaled enemies and loot, and have had a habit of giving powerful items in abundance.

Annonchinil

Scholar
Too bad about Cleak Sky, nothing kills the mood faster than idiots shouting on the radio to help them. Also for a game in which IMO one of the most unique story aspects is that there are people who for some reason want to be stalkers it sure seems to ignore it and focus on stupid science shit.

DraQ

Arcane
SoC was good.
Flawed, with rather "bwuh?" ending, but good.

I can't comment on CS, because it looks and runs much shittier than SoC on my current rig, my GFX card is dying, and I have to wait till I get the parts I bought as gifts. :P

cutterjohn

Cipher
Yeah, the NA/UK DVD version had no DRM and only used a CD key for MP. Steam is the same.

I installed ZRP (Zone Reclamation Project), slight weight adjust (150kg), and 5 day trader quests this time. (Still playing my Silvern Castle game on a //gs emulator too... some Space Rangers 2 + Reboot and Space Empires V.)

(Should install real weapon names for SoC too...)

Did they tweak NPC AI for 1.0005? They seem to be slightly tactically brighter now, even though I took out 3/4 of the military with one nade while saving mole... :D (they bunched up textbook imperfectly...)

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Holy shit, this game can be scary. Like when it's at night and it's lightning and thunderstorming, and animals screaming all over, then suddenly you turn around and theres a giant mutant pig with glowing eyes goes BAAAAARRRGGG and attacking out of nowhere.

I was underground in an abandoned sewer thing, and this invisible thing screamed at me and ran, all blurry with only glowy white eyes, and I unloaded two AK47 clips at it and my pistol and it ran away. I had to quit because I didn't want to go after it. At some point the AI would change its mind and come back after me, I just knew it would.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
A thing about those invisible things.

They can't see you if you don't move.

Their vision is based on movement.

Oh, and did you see the mutant which appeared from the shadows and started to pull your vision close and away from him?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom