Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Staples of design (in actual games) that need to die in a fire ASAP

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The one you linked has different points entirely
Because it's a different user's opinion
The subject of the thread however, is the same
Which is why I suggested merging them, as it would be more pratical for everyone

Prestige/Ascension: so you played this indie game that was fun and interesting. How about replaying it but now everything has a "minus X because fuck you" attached to it? The gradually increasing difficulty for "extra challenge" is cancer that incentivizes meta obsession, reloads, rerolls and what have you. Since the game was originally designed around its default difficulty, it's unsurprising that adding a bunch of penalties to the player results in forcing him to play certain strategies, abuse certain exploits and turn what was once a relaxing experience into an overthinking sweat fest. I believe "hardcore modes" should be left to the deranged minds of masochistic modders.
Those types of difficulty modes have always existed, are almost always optional and are clearly designed for a specific segment of the player base
If you don't like them, then don't play it
But saying they shouldn't be designed in the first place is stupid and decline enabling

Mandatory Ironman: such hardcore, much wow. "Roguelikes" and their obsession with limiting save files can crawl into a hole and die.
That's inherently part of their appeal
Why even play a Roguelike if you hate Ironman?

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Dice rolls for skill checks such as opening chests or successful conversation choices, especially if you can just reload.
Rather, dice rolls for skill checks etc. should only be used in a game with restricted saving. I think it would be fine in a roguelike format, but otherwise the game is just screaming, "SAVESCUM HERE! SAVESCUM HERE!"
Or simply have the game pre-calculate the RNG results in large batches; where the next value would be unaffected by a reload. Alternatively, time-stamp the roll results, such that reloading would use the already existing result.
shrug.gif

orcinator

Liturgist
Scaling loot.

Dice rolls for skill checks such as opening chests or successful conversation choices, especially if you can just reload.
Fuck that qualifier shit.
Skill Checks
Few games have used them in an interesting way and none made the process of dealing with them engaging from a gameplay perspective.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Sound-based riddles.
Gods only know how I hated those, back in the 90-s. When you have to repeat some melody you heared or like in Cyberia repeat a code by hearing some guy typing it, with each number having own tone. I have zero abilities to define such sounds and always had to rely on my friends to solve such riddles(because we had no internet back then).
And especially this:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
This ties into meta progression, but RPGs with Deck Building mechanics. I'm sure there's a game out there that makes the combination work, but by and by large the combination only succeeds in extending a game's runtime for longer than it should have been. Both getting cards and levelling up in this case force you to grind pointless fights just to advance in the story, often for far longer than you would in the same game just as a RPG or a CCG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom