Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Trek games you recommend

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are there any Star Trek ship combat games worth recommending? I'm no Trekkie but I like capital ship combat. Tactical with strategic gameplay will be nice, if they don't mean the same thing to you.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
bridge commander 1

External view
screen01.jpg

Bridge View
ScreenShot000.jpg

You can rotate your view around to access the ship menus by speaking to individual crew member. You may also issue orders for the AI to handle the ship to ship combat, but they're generally incompetent at higher difficulty and you have to take control of the ship by yourself.

Deleted member 7219

For ship combat:

Armada
Armada 2
Bridge Commander

For FPS combat:

Elite Force
Elite Force 2

NiM82

Prophet
Fleet Ops, it's a hefty total conversion/re tooling of Armada II, using new code, enhanced engine, different/better gameplay. For all intents and purposes it's a new game. Hugely better than the vanilla game, which was pretty crappy (Armada 1 was ok though).

You can play as Fed/Rom/Borg/Klingon/Dominion, standard RTS affair with some nice features like gas clouds you can hide ships in, use to restore shields etc. Makes a nice time waster for skirmishes vs the AI and is quite good MP.

08-16-05-feredo2.jpg

FOScreenShot_090419_205022.png

FOScreenShot_071115_103756.png

Otherwise Starfleet Command II.

Kortalh

Liturgist
I remember having a fun time as the Borg in the Armada games. I'd play defensively and build up a few of those mega-cubes (if you build 8 regular cubes, you can combine them) and just go around assimilating everyone.

I don't think I ever played it the way it was meant to be played though. I mostly just screwed around with it.

It always annoyed me how there were just planets floating around in space, never near a sun.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Most of the adventures.

The old Enterprise crew one, with Kirk and McCoy, and the one with Picard, called, I think, Judgment Day. Or the other way around. Point and click. Real nifty.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just noticed you asked for combat/strategy games. Sorry bro.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
EGA Trek.

To this day, I have not seen nor played a Star Trek game that captured the look and feel of the original series better than this one.

Atomic

Augur
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Jasede said:
Most of the adventures.

The old Enterprise crew one, with Kirk and McCoy, and the one with Picard, called, I think, Judgment Day. Or the other way around. Point and click. Real nifty.

I think you are talking about Judgement Rites which was with the old crew.
The adventure game with the new generation crew is called A Final Unity.

Panthera

Scholar
I highly recommend A Final Unity as a really solid adventure game with some pretty hefty choices and well-recorded and written dialog.

L'ennui

Magister
Starfleet command II: Orion pirates with this mod:

http://www.dynaverse.net/downloads.php? ... P#download

is the best you can currently get as far as star trek ship to ship combat gaming goes.

Either that or Netrek, if you like fast-paced temwork games (think CTF unreal tournament but in space with ships and there are lots of flags/enemy planets)

The rest is shit, shit, shit.

Bridge Commander, for ship to ship combat, is total utter fucking shit. It is pretty, though.

Armada is an RTS, so you essentially build tank rushes except the tanks are starships. Still, it's the same formula with a few small differences. For ship to ship combat: SHIT.

The other games mentionned are adventure games, some of which are decent, a few of which are pretty good, but none of which relate to your inquiry.

So yeah, SFC 2: OP with that mod is your best bet. Very good game (I should do an LP of it) and whatever you do, don't even think of playing SFC 3. Dumbed down. Castrated. Shit.

EDIT: Yes, EGA Trek was pretty cool.

2nd EDIT FFS: Try http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/909/B ... ation.html

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No love for Star Trek Legacy? I searched around in shops and it is the only strategic Star Trek game left. Been awhile since I 'sampled' a game off the net...

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
The Starfleet Commands (1, 2, 2:OPs)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom