Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Star Wars: KotOR Interview at Gamespy

Ibbz

Augur
Tags: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

We have yet another <a href="http://www.gamespydaily.com/news/fullstory.asp?id=4331">interview</a> for KotOR, this time at <a href="http://www.gamespy.com">Gamespy</a>. It covers various things, ranging from to who came up with the concept of KotOR, to whether you can wield double-bladed lightsabers.
<br>
Here's a bit:
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
GameSpy: What impact does a character's Force-alignment have on his capabilities?
<br>
<br>
James: A character's Force-alignment affects his ability to use the Force. A player isn't restricted from choosing lightside or darkside Force powers when he levels up. If he's a lightside Jedi, he can still choose darkside powers. However, darkside and lightside powers work more efficiently if the character is the proper alignment. For example, if a character was at the top of the lightside scale and he chose 'Force choke' as a power, then whenever he used that power it would cost more Force points to power than if a darksider had used the power. Using darkside powers also has the added penalty of sliding a character towards the darkside. If a character uses Force choke to kill a sentient creature, then a small darkside hit is applied to him.
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
Force choke brings back the memories.....<i>"I find your lack of faith disturbing."</i>
<br>
Spotted at <a href="http://www.ve3d.com">VE3D</a>.

Deathy

Liturgist
We have been pushing the Xbox hardware very hard to achieve the stunning visuals required to really portray our exotic environments, while also running all the AI, path finding, and scripting that is required in a massive RPG.
Huh?
You'll definitely be able to wield double-bladed lightsabers, as well as dual lightsabers.
d00d! l33t d00l w3l1ng! l33t d0ubl3 bl4d3z!

Ibbz

Augur
2 sided swords are better than 1! Provided you dont cut yourself in half in the first place. ;)
But seriously, i think they put them in to placate all those Darth Maul wannabe's.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I just wonder how they'll balance it though. You can make the point about shields with AD&D making up for dual wielding, but there really aren't shields in Star Wars and certainly not shields that could stop a light saber.

And even with the two handed bonus of d20, 1.5 times the STR bonus isn't going to make up for using a light saber two handed versus the double saber or dual wielding sabers.

Spazmo

Erudite
The traditional way for AD&D to balance two handed weapons is to make them much more damaging (bigger damage die) but a lot slower (higher speed factor). However, since d20 doesn't have a speed factor statistic (adding it is one thing IWD2 did right), it nullifies this penalty. Nonetheless, if BioWare knows what they're doing, they'll make a double saber slower.

And also, keep in mind that using a double weapon will usually cause pretty big attack penalties.

I don't suppose anyone around here plays the Star Wars d20 game?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, there isn't such a thing as a GREAT LIGHT SABER or a Claymore version, I don't think. I think a light saber is a light saber, at least that's the impression I get from the movies. If that's the case, then the kind you dual wield would by the same kind you use both hands on if you don't dual wield.

Frankly, though, it wouldn't bother me if they left out dual wielding light sabers and the double saber thing that you saw in Episode 1 as well. The first three Star Wars movies just had Jedi fighting with standard light sabers with just two hands on the weapon. That's how Obi Wan and Darth Vader did it and how Luke and Vader did it in two movies. It seems that Lucas likes throwing in new saber fighting with his new movies to make the fighting more interesting or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom