Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starcom: Unknown Space

Lemming42

Arcane
Stumbled across this on GoG, doesn't seem to be a thread for it. It's great fun, a sort of Star Control kind of game. Build your ship, fly around, investigate planets and get into diplomatic or military escapades with aliens. It's got a basic gameplay loop (arrive in new system, deal with other ships if present, scan each planet, carry out plane event if you find any, leave for next system) but the research and shipbuilding progression is very satisfying, allowing you to constantly feel one step ahead of your countless attackers.

You get a crew who each have stats which contribute to away missions, you can choose which to focus on. There's skill rolls to see if you fuck up or succeed at a mission.

Played it for about eight hours straight last night.

Lemming42

Arcane
8kw0hkF.png

Let down by the space subforum's motto yet again :negative:

Might as well ask here: is the predecessor worth playing after this? It looks to be very similar so I'm wondering if it's just a case of it being essentially this with a few missing features, or a totally worthwhile game in its own right.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Might as well ask here: is the predecessor worth playing after this? It looks to be very similar so I'm wondering if it's just a case of it being essentially this with a few missing features, or a totally worthwhile game in its own right.
Both games are very similar to each other.
Both games also have hand-made content, with a little bit of proc gen for generic planets, but plenty of puzzles and quests that rely on exploring the map and figuring out specific coordinates to discover cool secrets.
Therefore, both are worth playing. If you like one, you will like the other, as it's just more of the same kind of content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom