Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

RTS Starcraft 2 goes free to play

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Venser, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Venser Liturgist

Venser
    Widow mines were nerfed to shit twice already. First time they reduced the damage and then they made them visible after firing, turning them somewhat useless. I don't even bother using them anymore except vs protoss.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    You mean they made them more similar to banelings but still better?
    And you refuse to use them lol

^ Top  
  3. Venser Liturgist

Venser
    You have to choose between widow mine and tank production. I prefer tanks.

^ Top  
  4. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    W/e I guess my point is that when people who aren't international tournament winners complain about balance, their complaints are pushed to the side and ignored because "get gud n0b loll", even though it's entirely understandable that certain units and strats are super OP unless you have grandmaster game sense and mechanical skill to overcome it.

But then some top 20 grandmaster tournament winner complains about some shit that only effects a super tiny portion of the playerbase and Blizz make sweeping game design changes to address it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Venser Liturgist

Venser
    I still wouldn't think widow mine would be a problem in the lower leagues. Instead easy A move units like ultralisk or colossus. Maybe storm, even the pros usually don't deal with that ability well. Only OP terran thing I can think off in lower leagues is mass cyclone allin from 1 base. Even decent diamond zergs have tough time holding it and terran doesn't need to do much micro to win.

Anyway I absolutely hate Blizzards approach to balance. They often completely redesign whole units instead of tweaking their values and the result is every 6 months it seems like a completely different game. Instead of tweaking units stats like HP, cooldown or damage a little to make it more balanced, they change it drastically if not redesign it completely. When mass reaper was getting a little problematic, instead of increasing a cooldown by 1 or 2 sec and make reapers weaker but still usable, they double the cooldown and nerf the grenade damage in half and eliminate this strategy completely. Vikings used to lose to stalkers terribly, maybe make it a bit of a closer fight. Nope, now it's the other way around, vikings rape stalkers. Ideal state would be to come to a point when nothing needs to get tweeked anymore and only maps change while the core of the game stays the same, what happened to Brood War essentially. But Bliizard wants to keep the game fresh and dynamic. Every now and then players figure and get good at some crazy strategy such as mass reaper or mass oracle and instead of celebrating the players creativity they say "we didn't intend this unit to be used in this way, here's a nerf". Imagine you're a guy like Byun who's training all day to get good at this one thing and then they take it away from him, just like that. Even tho nobody else could do the things with reapers that he was doing and even Maru was failing trying to copy it, they redesigned the unit. Same with baneling HP buff after Byun was focus firing Dark's banes in 2016 final. Imagine you put all the hours into arcade training baneling focus fire then somebody just decides to change the way the game is played and fucks up your whole career. It's a player assassination by the developer. Same with Snute who was mainly known as swarmhost player, he was hit hard when they redesigned the unit. Or imagine being guy like Ketroc who exclusively plays mass raven. Blizzard changes the unit and it's suddenly like you're playing a completely new game and the one thing you loved about it is gone.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Venser Liturgist

Venser
    My marine control playthrough. It's great mod for improving your micro, splitting and focus fire.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. pizza_microwave Learned

pizza_microwave
    I got to gold 3 just by spamming the toss cheese rush every game like a year ago, never even bothered to learn a build and stopped playing once it stopped working. Great game!

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Dzupakazul Arbiter

Dzupakazul
    When I last played 2v2s in Gold with a lower-rated buddy (also around a year ago), people were not capable of realizing there's a Reaper in their probeline at the start of the game until after his probe kills were in the double digits. It was perplexing to me.

To be honest, it also happened to me in Diamond.

^ Top  
  9. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    I miss being plat and below.. I was high diamond before taking a break because the game becomes "memorize all the possible build orders for every race and how to react" which gets really tedious compared to lower ranks where you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want and have a chance.

...unless you're dirty protoss of course in which case you just cannon rush to mlg tournament winner

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Dzupakazul Arbiter

Dzupakazul
    Just tank your rank or play fun modes like team games where the emphasis on build orders is more lax, I don't really see a point in trying to maintain a high rank to remain competitive if remaining competitive isn't something you're interested in. :)

^ Top  
  11. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    ^ Yeah I can tank my rank but I absolutely wreck anyone below diamond no matter what at this point so it's not so much fun.. Like I could kill them with spine crawlers or some stupid shit

Just annoyed at hitting this wall because at upper diamond people have their build orders pretty damn tight and you need to know exactly what's happening to prevent getting wiped by one of the 500 3-5 minute timing attacks. It's not a big deal, every game gets like this at some point but that's where the game starts to become more of a grind imo..

..unless you're dirty protoss in which case u just cannon rush

^ Top  
  12. Dzupakazul Arbiter

Dzupakazul
    Yeah, I get you. In this case, maybe you can just move on. I still think 2v2 / 3v3 are less grindy and more lax about build orders, and that's why I enjoy them for some "social" Starcrafting, but they also have their own problems (extreme aggro 2v1 timings or, adversely, massive turtlefests, particularly against mech Terran teams). I still get quite a thrill from improvement, but it's really okay to stop once you figure you've reached what you wanted. It's all just for fun.

^ Top  
  13. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    Blog Entry 3/20/2019:

I've decided to come back after a long break! This time, I will be learning all races and laddering as random. Hopefully this will help me with understanding theory and shit, as I remember my main problem that got me stuck in diamond was scouting as zerg and not knowing wtf any of my opponents were building half the time.

In the past I was using a modified standard hotkey setup but I'm actually switching to grid for all races for consistency. Re-learning muscle memory is gonna be a mega pain in the ass ughhhh

Will update when I hit top 3 grandmaster

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Venser Liturgist

Venser
    Blog entry:

I played terrran for like 3 years and made it to masters. I was practicing builds to execute them perfectly, I was doing mineral stacking to gain the smallest advantage, little things like shift clicking return cargo on the scv that's about to make CC so it saves 1 mineral trip, learned scouting patterns, army positioning... Before every ladder session I was training marine splitting and focus fire in arcade, multitasking trainer, I watched pro player streams every day, asked pros for little tricks that can help you, I have a notebook full of builds...
    Then I decided to try to play Protoss just for fun. I have no idea what I'm doing, I don't know any build orders, didn't try to learn any tricks and don't bother with making stuff efficient, I play toss to relax. In a few weeks I exceeded my terran rank and I have far better winrate with protoss even tho I'm just doing random shit. GG Blizzard, nice balance.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    I think I remember there being a top tournament winning protoss player who literally just cannon rushes every game and wins. I mean I know everybody at the top is very mechanically skilled but compared with the other races protoss just has an insane amount of bullshit that's really easy to play yet terribly hard to counter

^ Top  
  16. Micormic Unwanted

Unwanted
    Havent played this game since like 2011.....Liked it but got bored.

Do people still play sc2 online? or is it a wasteland now

^ Top  
  17. kinzadza Novice

kinzadza
    It's pretty lively for a dead game.

Protoss master race.

^ Top  
  18. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    I like all races now. But Terran was definitely hardest to learn. This game just gets better the more I play it.

^ Top  
  19. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    Wanna party up? I'm playing pretty regularly (and badly). On both EU and US servers.

Yeah well, Zergs seem to be winning most of the tournaments now. And it's still my highest ranked race, not that I'm high ranked with any of them, just a filthy casual.

^ Top  
  20. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    Sorry but, when I made that post I actually ended up playing like 2 games then getting bored and uninstalled. I don't play anymore :/

^ Top  
  21. Venser Liturgist

Venser
    They're abandoning SC2. Only some needed balance patches but no more new content including Warchest. Fuck Activision.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/starcraft2/23544726/starcraft-ii-update-october-15-2020

• It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    Balance patches and season rolls are the only thing that's needed. I wasn't even aware people still expected new content. Warchest? Isn't that some shitty skin packs? Doesn't seem like this will impact my enjoyment of ladder experience at all. There seems to be fuckload of user made content, arcades, custom campaigns and whatnot, for people who care about that sort of thing. I just like doing some occasional ladder.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Oh noes the game's development is finally done, game over no point in playing anymore!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Preben Savant

Preben
    Who the fuck was buying those skinpacks anyway?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    Man, I wish I knew what is it about Terrans in this game that makes them such butthurt bitches. The amount of these fags I've met that end up in completely unwinnable position and yet still have to drag the games out is just amusing. Like this game I just had, Terran loses all bases except main, then turtles up in it with liberators, tanks and mines. I was playing Protoss and I prefer to stick to ground units with this race unless I'm forced to go air so I decided I'll just take every single base on the map instead, with tons of cannons and Skill Batteries everywhere. Dude was still trying to do drops and when I got bored and just brute forced through his base he fucking floats his command center to the corner while trash talking me how I'm playing retard A-move race. Then I decided I'll just go eat and let him wait if he's so inclined. I come back 15 minutes later and the game is still going, finally I sent a void ray across the edges of the map to hunt down his CC and he lands it and actually drops mules to try and repair it, which means he was probably paying attention entire time. This kind of super dedicated butthurt I'm only encountering with Terrans for some reason. :lol:

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.