Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
A stand-alone exp.pack from Blizzard?
What has this world come to :o

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
They figured everyone who's going to play this already bought SC2. By making it standalone, they can charge extra for it.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
One thing if it was an expansion though...

Would it need to be installed on top of Heart of the Swarm for the multiplayer to work? If not, would it include the new units that were in Heart of the Swarm (thus making the first expansion obsolete), or just the new units from this one?

I'm imagining that as a stand-alone it will include everything from the first two, plus whatever new things it brings. Worse for those who already have Starcraft 2 and Heart of the Swarm, but possibly better for someone just starting, as they'd only need to buy this instead of Starcraft 2 and two expansions. That's my guess anyway.

I want more motherfucking United Earth Directorate! More Arcturus Mengsk! But nope, they had to replace Mengsk with an Arthas clone and fuck every interesting aspect of the lore in the bum just so they could shoe-horn in a silly plot more befitting of a Warcraft game into a previously excellent series. Why? Probably so they can make an mmo out of it at one point or another.

Fuck off, Blizzard. Fuck off.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Here's something for the story people:

Wouldn't it make more sense for Kerrigan to keep Arcturus alive so he can send his fascist military government after the Xel'naga, instead of of wiping them all out and placing more of a burden on herself? It just goes to show you how retarded the writers are that work at Blizzard.

Wouldn't it make more sense for Kerrigan to keep Arcturus alive so he can send his fascist military government after the Xel'naga, instead of of wiping them all out and placing more of a burden on herself? It just goes to show you how retarded the writers are that work at Blizzard.

Yes, and that was literally the whole reason Brood Wars ended as it did rather than "Kerrigan is now Queen Bitch of the Universe and kills everyone, gg no re SC2".

The Terran and Zerg campaigns in Brood Wars mirrors SC2 in a dozen ways except that they were written competently. I'm going to laugh if the Protoss campaign in SC2 revolves around finding Xel-Naga artifacts to activate some secret Xel-Naga super-weapon inside one of their temples.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

Not a lot made sense with HoTS.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
It seems likely Raynor is taking over for the humans (along with Mengsk's son).

The travel time from Earth to the Korpulu (?) sector is something like 30 years, so unless a second wave was sent out before the first even arrived there couldn't be another for decades.

kris

Arcane
While i chuckled at the awfulness of the story, that don't really matter. As long as the missions are good. I felt the Zerg campaign was worse in that aspect, but that can be because of the reason I stated before, that I learnt that the almost only wining tactic was building a blob and sweep away everything.

Kerrigan alone provided 90% of the firepower needed to win the campaign missions, even on the highest difficulty. I basically soloed the entire last level with her while everything else sat around defending the base. It was a joke. At least in the Terran campaign you actually had to build the blob and attack with it.

Deleted member 7219

Kerrigan alone provided 90% of the firepower needed to win the campaign missions, even on the highest difficulty. I basically soloed the entire last level with her while everything else sat around defending the base. It was a joke. At least in the Terran campaign you actually had to build the blob and attack with it.

What difficulty did you play on? If I sent Kerrigan out by herself she usually got killed pretty quickly.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I can't remember if I played on hardest or 2nd hardest, but I do remember kerrigan basically doing all of the work and while my units tanked so she wouldn't die.

Use spawn banelings->50-90% of most dangerous enemies die immediately->clean up with whatever. You could easily harass bases to death with Kerrigan like that. Everything you got past that was just cheese stacked ontop of cheese.

Yes, I played Brutal. Can't imagine how easy it would be on difficulties that were actually designed to be easy. The Terran campaign didn't exactly challenge me outside of the final level but at least you actually had to pay attention to your base and build stuff. I think the only time I failed a mission in the Zerg campaign was the very first one where you can only make zerglings and queens, where I ran out of money.

Last edited:

trym88

Scholar
You guys are so good, you can beat the campaign on brutal ezpz. Every silver league noob can beat the campaign on brutal. If you want challenge then go 1on1 ladder. See you guys.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Starcrafts story was always fucking garbage, it was the world building and the setting that captivated people. And they even took a shit on that in broodwar with the UED somehow being identical to the Korprulans

praetor

Arcane
I have to give the credit where credit is due - each mission in WoL and HotS was excellent, unique bit of entertainment - a real fun arcade, strategy puzzle. Hell, I am hard pressed to admit that the story for those singled out missions was full of suspense and made sense in an 80s action movie kind of way. So I hope that Legacy of the Void will continue the tradition.

can't say about HotS, but in WoL that's a load of bullshit. almost every fucking mission consisted of "see that new unit you just unlocked? build a blob of it and win". it was fucking retarded and way too obvious

MrMarbles

Cipher
Starcrafts story was always fucking garbage, it was the world building and the setting that captivated people. And they even took a shit on that in broodwar with the UED somehow being identical to the Korprulans

SC1 and BW story were not fucking garbage, any way you look at it. That is one of the reasons the story in SC2 was so universally reviled - they couldn't live up to the expectations. Plus SC2 is written by chimps, HotS being marginally better than the cartoonishly bad WoL.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Starcraft 1 story wasn't really smart or mind blowing but Wings of Liberty, in particular, man... The storyline gone from a generic but not offensive to awful and an offense to anyone who has more than two neurons together.

The original didn't have plot holes the size of black holes in it for example, things like: "Hey, dude, the zerg almost wiped out human race last time maybe it isn't a good idea to start a revolution now, you know." or "Ehh, so the bad guy places a bomb on some guy and releases him so he can be friends of the good guy so when the good guy finds Kerrigan, the guy with the bomb will shoot her? So the bad guy is super friend of the writer and knows exactly what will happen?" or "Hey, we could invent a really clever way of finishing the story, nope, we decided to use deus ex machina magical artifacts and prophecies (things that should be purged with fire from science fiction)" or "Let's humanize the other alien races by saying Kerrigan has feelings and make the Protoss, space muricans with butthurt issues and end any of the uniqueness of the races that was really good on Star Craft 1."

They simply commit every crime a bad sci fi writer can commit on a single game. Blizzard is just indulging on their own badness right now, I guess this is the consequence of having a legion of retarded fans willing to masturbate to any shit you produce.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
WoL could've been 'k if they hadn't turned into a retarded Raynor/Kerrigan lovestory that wasn't even there in SC1.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After the revelation that the Overmind has been a good guy all along nothing can faze me.

Kerrigan rising to orbit in the halo of her psychic powah at the end of HotS came close though

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom