Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield poll

What do you think?

• Total voters

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Here’s a simple poll to express yourself on on what/how is Starfield.
Comments not restricted, nor are the votes.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Apparently shitting on Bethesda is now seen as controversial by some members?

Even while the poll says unanimously that their newest gem is also shit.

Just Locus

Educated
Makes Skyrim look good by comparison.
When your abusive husband is so bad you miss the times you had with your abusive boyfriend.
Standards have dropped so low, Skyrim of all games surpassed it.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I voted it tolerable.

There are moments that the game seems to have some value. One example, and, admittedly, a rather silly one, is that it's the only game I can recall that sort of gives a sense of actually living on a spaceship as your home. It's very shallow and hardly a reason to play the game, but it is what it is.

Some of the vistas and other surface-level elements of the game are also sort of noteworthy.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Been playing for 150+ hours but game is unfinished at this point.

Looter Shooter: There is actually no enemy scaling. The hardest enemies are level 98 “Legends” and that’s it, even if your character is much higher level, as there is no level cap. Itemization is shit, only few affixes that are mostly meh. So a disappointing system that goes nowhere

Quests: Typical Bethesda crap but this time they don’t make you head of a guild or a Dragonborn hero. Completing faction quests or even main quest feels disappointing as there is no real reward. Writing is mediocre at best. The biggest weakpoint is the boring setting. Two factions who have been at war are now at peace, and all the cool tech like xenoweapons and mechs have been outlawed. There’s also a third mystery faction that hardly has any presence. Without DLCs that expand on these the setting is too bland and sterile.

Base building and crafting: Another system that goes nowhere. This can be completely ignored. Most people use it to cheese xp with insane mass crafting. Otherwise useless without mods that allow you to craft ammo etc. which you can’t do without them, nor craft anything else useful except weapon and armor mods but you don’t need an outpost for that as buying materials is cheap and easy.

Spacesim and space combat: Basically just there for the sake of being there. You fast travel everywhere, space battles are boring, and while ship building is kind of cool, it can also be completely ignored, the only thing you need is to upgrade your fuel tank once to reach an area for the main quest, and that’s it.

Overall it’s a game that crammed a bunch of systems in there but left them all unfinished. Current score 4/10 and can only be redeemed as the worst Bethesda game by heavy updates and DLCs.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Commiefornia in space. If the best bugthesda game(morrowind) is 9.5/10 and fl76, their worst is 0.0005/10, starfield is 0.5/10. Close to fl76 but still not as awful.

A good way to cure insomnia. I put a stream playing ir and everything in the game is so boring that I fall sleep. There are nothing good about ir.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Missing a fourth option, it's neither complete shit nor is it tolerable. It's so mediocre in all it's parts that you can waste your time with basically anything else, it's just a pointless experience.

It's not offensively shit or anything though, everything... works, to some extent, it's just not fun to experience.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Overall it’s a game that crammed a bunch of systems in there but left them all unfinished.

I think it's a fair guess to say that they may have wanted to make a different game initially when it comes to space exploration. Why have outposts that do nothing, fuel that means nothing, suits with environmental protection that does nothing, food that means nothing yet you can craft, and quite a few others.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
food that means nothing yet you can craft
FWIW, I'm finding enough of a rarity to the actual trauma/health packs that I often rely on "food" to top off my health. And I've noticed that certain consumable items can offer buffs and semi-long-term benefits, so this isn't completely true.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
you are playing it wrong old man

economy is busted, so you can easily buy out all the ammo and med/emergency/trauma packs you need in exchange for a few weapons that you find off enemies. they also shower you with healing items if you loot the medicine cabinets in dungeons. I think I have over 100 healing items now and playing on Very Hard killing enemies 30 levels above me. I don't think I ever used a food item.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
easily buy out all the ammo and med/emergency/trauma packs you need in exchange for a few weapons that you find off enemies
I don't loot everything, but any weapon worth over 4K credits I generally grab, then lament if the vendor doesn't have a high enough reserve of credits to compensate me for all that junk.

they also shower you with healing items if you loot the medicine cabinets in dungeons
Disagree. I generally find maybe two or three of them per "dungeon".

You're probably a lot more thorough than I am, but this is a p. much braindead game, so I don't think I'm "trying" very hard. I am saving up for a new ship, however, since I hated the first one that I earned "for free" (the Mantis one, whose interior sucks ass and has a set of decals that pop in and out of view depending on your distance from them -- deal killer, sold it, fuck you).

PlayerEmers

Novice
i voted tolerable but the game is barely above mediocre.
played for about 50 hours but at some point i just gave up because i was getting bored and I just rushed the main story (missed lots of side quests but what is the point... the writing is ass for the most part and there and no interesting content).

im currently playing fallout 4 (never played it before and I already clocked 52 hours in the game) and im having more fun and im still not bored compared to starfield

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom