Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Leaked door found its way online

e0x8q1sjrw091.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamesradar.com/todd-how...s-putting-the-finishing-touches-on-starfield/

Todd Howard says that Bethesda is "putting the finishing touches on Starfield"
Xbox CEO Phil Spencer believes Starfield will be a "hallmark for us" following the Bethesda acquisition

Starfield, Bethesda's first new IP in 25 years was recently delayed from November 11, 2022, and given a TBC 2023 release window. Naturally, this made some players worry about how production was progressing on what is arguably the most anticipated upcoming Xbox Series X games. Thankfully, Bethesda Game Studios' game director and executive producer confirmed that the studio has almost completed its work on the game, during a media briefing ahead of E3 2022: "We're putting the finishing touches on Starfield, which is an incredible opportunity for us," says Howard.

Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer also says that he believes Starfield will be seen as a "hallmark" of the ZeniMax Media acquisition, which was completed in March 2021 and brought teams like Arkane, Bethesda, MachineGames, and id Software into Xbox Game Studios.

"Starfield for me is a unique opportunity. Todd Howard has been a friend for an awful long time, and the fact that Bethesda Game Studios is working on a new IP, which has been a long time [coming]... This will be a hallmark for us – in terms of the acquisition of ZeniMax, getting to work with Todd, and bringing this game to market."

"I've seen a lot of this game, people are going to see more of it, and I love setting the goal of: Let's get more players for this game than in any other game."

Spencer has spoken in the past about his ambition for Starfield to be the most played game out of Bethesda – a tall order, considering the ongoing, decade-long success of Skyrim – and he spoke briefly here on how he believes Xbox can achieve that.

"When I think about the platform that we're building, we're building a platform that can reach billions of players. Whether it's on console, whether it's on PC, whether it's through Xbox Cloud streaming – where players on any device that they want to play on should be able to find the content that they want to play, whether it's in a web browser, whether it's in an app, or whether it's on a device that's dedicated to playing games. That's just fundamental to where Xbox is going."

Howard also spoke to the "incredible opportunity" that Starfield presents to Bethesda. "Players out there can experience what we're creating," he continues, "and get it to more people around the world, and in so many different ways than really we ever have before." Howards adds that the studio is excited about "being able to do something that really takes advantage of Xbox – on the machines themselves, with Series S and X, as well as knowing that anyone who is going to play the game can play it on PC, or xCloud, or whatever screens they're on."

"Our ability to transport people, to put them in new worlds where they can have experiences that – for the moment that you're in them – they feel real for what they are, and the emotions you have. We've seen that with our other franchises like the Elder Scrolls, with Skyrim, and the Fallout Series. We're working really closely with Xbox now to make that [Starfield] the best experience it can be. Not just on the hardware, but how people access it, and being able to bring a game like this to more people than any of our games – it really is an incredible opportunity," says Howard.

Starfield is yet to receive a new release date following its delay, although a recent Game Pass advertisement signals that an "early 2023" window may be in sight. Either way, we'll be hoping to see the first Starfield gameplay reveal during the Xbox and Bethesda Games Showcase that's on the E3 2022 schedule for this weekend.

Caim

Arcane
Starfield might come out Q1 2023, so they're taking NINE MONTHS to put the "finishing touches" on Starfield.

What was that other recent game that was delayed for like half a year to receive "polish" and still turned out to be spectacularly shitty?

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Starfield might come out Q1 2023, so they're taking NINE MONTHS to put the "finishing touches" on Starfield.

What was that other recent game that was delayed for like half a year to receive "polish" and still turned out to be spectacularly shitty?

Presses buzzer. What is Elden Ring?

Caim

Arcane

Presses buzzer. What is Elden Ring?
Nah, I remember it now: it was Saints Row. The new one, mind you. They're gonna make all sorts of changes to the game, except they won't touch the part of the game that peopleh ate the most.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

all of them

Just Locus

Educated
Given how Todd Howard stated that Starfield would be "Skyrim in Space" [Source] and that Skyrim was had watered-down and near-nonexistent RPG mechanics at best, I wouldn't set my sights too high in regards to this game's RPG mechanics, especially since Bethesda has a problem with decisions not mattering in the grand scheme of the story.

I think the best decision regarding this game's marketing would be to NOT advertise as a "story-rich RPG" if they know that they won't put in the full effort to make their stories as detailed and fleshed-out as possible since Emil(lead writer at bethesda) doesn't seem to care enough about the story-writing process and that's fine, i just wish they wouldn't constantly advertise it as IF he cares, since that's obviously dishonest, and sets an unreasonable expectation on the game that bethesda cannot fulfill.

Overall, my expectations are medium. I really enjoy exploration games, and space exploration specifically allows for much more freedom in terms of world design and grants higher chances to find something unexpected(Of course it's not limited to space but y'know what i mean.) and i'd most likely get this game for the exploration since that seems to be the biggest appeal for bethesda's games, since the stories tend to fall flat.

Just Locus

Educated

I assume they are adding the finishing touches as to not anger the execs at microsoft, they didn't purchase bethesda to get another fallout 76.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
They were always going to advertise it as "Skyrim in space". Skyrim was their best-selling product and they want to assuage concerns after the goatfuck that was Fallout 76.

Caim

Arcane

I assume they are adding the finishing touches as to not anger the execs at microsoft, they didn't purchase bethesda to get another fallout 76.
Correct, they bought it to get another Skyrim.

Not Skyrim II mind you, just a re-release of Skyrim.

wololo88

Novice
Todd Howard stated that Starfield would be "Skyrim in Space"

Imagine the Sexlab mods that will be developed for this thing. Or won't, if le "greatest space scifi RPG" turns out to be a piece of No Man's Sky/Cyberpunk2077-esque shit that will be sold at 90% off the main price less than a week after the release. :P

Just Locus

Educated
Todd Howard stated that Starfield would be "Skyrim in Space"

Imagine the Sexlab mods that will be developed for this thing. Or won't, if le "greatest space scifi RPG" turns out to be a piece of No Man's Sky/Cyberpunk2077-esque shit that will be sold at 90% off the main price less than a week after the release. :P
The mods will be made regardless, and will be sold at a price at the Creation Club, with 30GB updates every week.
as God Howard once stated in the bible "It just works".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom