Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

State of Decay 2

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Having co-op is nice but it's not a clear improvement.

Codex Year of the Donut
is there a game like this except it's purely about managing your base/politics with other bases/defense and you send people out on scavenging runs without doing the scavenging yourself?

Codex Year of the Donut
So is it good?
really hate the camera, it's obviously meant to make you feel claustrophobic and have jumpscares, especially when entering doorways -- every single doorway has an empty space to your left and right with something blocking your view typically.

Atchodas

Augur
Yeah but how's the gameplay, what do you do? What's the story, the endgame, the final objective?

You either scavenge resources to build base and do fetch quests to build community for sandbox purposes OR you go straight at attacking plague hearts get everything you need from killing them and dont bother building anything other than Infirmary to heal yourself and just use 3 starting survivors so then its more of fast paced action based gameplay.

There is no story and end game is clearing the map from plague hearts and doing legacy mission which basically ends your community and puts your survivors in legacy pool so you can use them to start new playtrough.

The way i see it this is still the best zombie SURVIVAL game.

JDR13

Arcane
How does it compare to SoD 1? I really wanted to like that game, but the respawn rate of the zombies killed it for me.

Atchodas

Augur
Zombies tend to spawn around the player all the time, you can establish safe zones by clearing buildings but usually its not worth it and its better to just do what you came to do and get away

Codex Year of the Donut
Zombies tend to spawn around the player all the time, you can establish safe zones by clearing buildings but usually its not worth it and its better to just do what you came to do and get away
killed a bunch of zombies around a place, picked up some supplies, left and suddenly zombos are chasing after me despite making sure there were none around and only spending like 15 seconds grabbing supplies

felt really forced and shit

Atchodas

Augur
Yeh this is definitely not the game where you can clear zombies and then hang around in peace, unless you really want to invest into safe zone by clearing buildings and making outposts

Also any kind of player made sound will make them spawn quicker so being stealthy is an option to avoid more zombies spawning

Last edited:

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
is there a game like this except it's purely about managing your base/politics with other bases/defense and you send people out on scavenging runs without doing the scavenging yourself?

I played a flash game called "Rebuild" on Kongregate in ages past that pretty much was what you describe. There's 2 sequels on Steam but I haven't played them so I can't say in which way they evolved / got mechanics added that implement direct action but perhaps you wish to take a closer look:

Terra

Cipher
Playing this since last December and it's been overall disappointing. I liked the original (and one of the dlcs for SoD1 was really good, can't remember which though). I think with the platform exclusivity nonsense antics this game was involved with, being stuck on Windows Store for so long any hype for it had dissipated and it ends up feeling / looking like a slightly more polished SoD1. (Much like how it took Bannerlord so long to release, any graphical leap over its predecessor wasn't so pronounced, here nobody played SoD2 because it was locked in xbox/win store land for years). Just doesn't feel like it built sufficiently on the previous title or advanced it in ways that matter. Done a few runs and seem to be bouncing off the game tbh. Latest patch ramped the difficulty I think but ultimately plague hearts can still be cheesed too easily and once you've fathomed that out the game can't do much to stop you just beelining straight for them.

Maybe a 3rd entry will feel like a bigger leap, at least MS aren't doing win store exclusivity shit atm. It's got a foundation where you can see it could become something really special with a bit more of a push.

Atchodas

Augur
Maybe a 3rd entry will feel like a bigger leap, at least MS aren't doing win store exclusivity shit atm. It's got a foundation where you can see it could become something really special with a bit more of a push.

I can tell you right here right now that SoD 3 will be more like SoD 2.5 just like the second entry was more like SoD 1.5

You cant expect these talentless indie devs from california to spit out GTA5 / RDR2 type of game :lol: and they cant even hire competent people to work on SoD3 because they cant afford shit even with MS money and anybody actually competent already has a job in much better company than these scrubs, they even moved their studio to seattle to have cheaper development expenses but thats not gonna help them much to be honest since in the end they have no talent. After SoD1 was a success all they programers got poached into better studios and when developing SoD2 they didnt even have a single person with a degree in their team lol.

Realistic expecations for SoD3 would be :

a bit better graphics

more depth in already existing game systems (base building, community development,outposts and safezones, upgrading cars and weapons etc.)

below average story with progressive crap all over it

new maps, quite possibly with old maps recycled and updated for new game

They announced SoD3 like a year ago but they are still adding new features into SoD2 that are like basic stuff in any other game (such as being able to equip Primary and Secondary weapons and switch between them lol)

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
I played a flash game called "Rebuild" on Kongregate in ages past that pretty much was what you describe. There's 2 sequels on Steam but I haven't played them so I can't say in which way they evolved / got mechanics added that implement direct action but perhaps you wish to take a closer look:
It's pretty meh, tbh. Been years since I last played it, but from what I remember, you do one map and it's fairly fun, and then may as well stop, because once you've played one, you played them all.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I love the concept of the game and loved the first one..
I've probably downloded and tried to play this game 3 or 4 times and always quit within a few hours.

It's got more features and concepts than the first.. but it's somehow less fun or interesting.

Terra

Cipher

I can tell you right here right now that SoD 3 will be more like SoD 2.5 just like the second entry was more like SoD 1.5

You cant expect these talentless indie devs from california to spit out GTA5 / RDR2 type of game :lol: and they cant even hire competent people to work on SoD3 because they cant afford shit even with MS money and anybody actually competent already has a job in much better company than these scrubs, they even moved their studio to seattle to have cheaper development expenses but thats not gonna help them much to be honest since in the end they have no talent. After SoD1 was a success all they programers got poached into better studios and when developing SoD2 they didnt even have a single person with a degree in their team lol.

Realistic expecations for SoD3 would be :

a bit better graphics

more depth in already existing game systems (base building, community development,outposts and safezones, upgrading cars and weapons etc.)

below average story with progressive crap all over it

new maps, quite possibly with old maps recycled and updated for new game

They announced SoD3 like a year ago but they are still adding new features into SoD2 that are like basic stuff in any other game (such as being able to equip Primary and Secondary weapons and switch between them lol)
You know what, that explains a lot. I do vaguely recall hearing about the coders leaving and some bits of what you mentioned (I must have forgotten about it). And replacing actually talented staff with useless dreck is certainly not surprising in the industry of late.

Thinking back, there's stuff missing from SoD2 that was in the original; boarding up windows is gone, SoD2 "hordes" are what, 4-6 zombies tops... The SoD2 story is borderline non-existant seemingly to support the weird co-op-ish "paired" characters they supply you with to choose from at the start. I definitely recall there actually being some developments and interesting story events over the course of SoD1, everything I've seen of SoD2's campaign feels like generic events that can fit any of the protagonists you chose at the start. Maps seemed more interesting in SoD1 too.

Fucking wrecked vehicles are still bolted to the floor as static entities in SoD2, feels stupid to be belting along at speed in a vehicle and clip and hit a husk of a car and you just stop dead. Really hoped they'd improve that since the first one.

Character selections; yeah, I definitely got a "diverse" vibe from the selection screen. I guess character customisation is improved in SoD2 - you can wear hats and jackets but who gives a shit about that really.

I think that just rounds out my earlier point; after the pointless waiting period induced by MS's previous Windows Store exclusivity policy, we finally got hold of SoD2 and it was just... eh. That sums up the game really. I'd looked forward to and hoped for a game that could deliver epic zombie sieges of your homebase like the original just hinted at and the whole thing just underwhelms. SoD1's the better game.

I guess I'll just hold out hope some other more competent studio will copy the formula in years to come.

Atchodas

Augur
Kinda impressive they keep adding all this new content 3 years after game was initialy released, when originally this game was sold for 30 and they never charged money again and had like 10 major content updates, this game being on gamepass and the studio belonging to MS might be :incline: afterall.

All they have to do now is fire everyone who worked on SoD2 and get some competent people to work on SoD3 :lol:

Due popular request for more faggotry story they added some trashy mini story arcs to the new map.
Includes much strong&smart womans scientists saving the world and fetching toys of dead kids to their grieving mothers (who are very strong and independant of course) i assume all the storyfaggs asking for more story in a survival sandbox game will get storymode pile of progressive crap they deserve with SoD3 :decline:

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Overview

The very nature of a post-apocalyptic world is one which is unpredictable and often chaotic. The mundane day-to-day of a stable society is now a luxury of the past and in this hostile ever-changing landscape the survivors of the zombie outbreak are required to be ever alert to the changing tides of dangers and opportunities that unfold.

Sooner or later the wasteland is going to throw your community a curveball! An emerging incident, phenomenon or happenstance that will be to the benefit of your survivors or their detriment. Sometimes Lady Luck will be on your side and a scenario will arise that creates a timed opportunity for your community to take full advantage of, such as finding a lost supply crate, a mutational defect in a group of zombies or simply the boost of having a well-maintained base. Other times more sinister challenges will emerge like a mutational advantage in a group of zombies, hostile raiders appearing on the map or even the Plague Hearts themselves becoming more deadly.

The world is changing and you’ll need to stay alert. It’s time to seize the boons and tackle (or avoid) the banes! In this dynamic, changing wasteland, the choices made and opportunities you take will determine your community’s survival or demise.

Update Details

Curveballs

Curveballs are new events that contain modifiers which can happen at random, or appear as a response to something you’ve done.

A Combination of Effects

• Curveballs contain up to three different effects, these modifiers will change up aspects of the simulation and come in Major and Minor variations.
    • Major effects will be very impactful, these are the headlines of the event and are denoted by a star symbol in the effects panel.
    • Minor effects are additional modifiers to accompany the Major, they are not as impactful but certainly spice up the experience.
  • Curveballs are not always one-shot events, they have a chance to reappear and when they do so you may receive a different combination of effects for a different experience, a previously seen minor effect may now be elevated to a major and vice versa.
What can be affected by Curveballs

We don’t want to give too much away, but you can read a few hints below for what you can expect!

• Zombies & Plague Hearts
    • Zombies can be effected by numerous Curveballs. Whether it’s through mutation or decay, zombies can now emerge as stronger or weaker by having their damage, speed or resistances altered.
    • Infestations can be a breeding ground for mutations. Zombies may develop weird side effects or behaviors which will require you to switch up your usual strategy.
    • Plague Hearts also have a chance to change over time, for better or worse. Expect the unexpected…
  • Community
    • Sometimes your survivors will have good and bad days. Depending on the Curveball, effects can influence your communities stamina, morale, proficiencies and effectiveness of base facilities.
  • World
    • Curveballs extend out to many other aspects of the wasteland like looting chances, resource availability, radio actions or even new hostile survivors wandering into town.

Location and Global Curveballs

• Location - Some Curveballs will be events that are only occurring at a specific location, this will be highlighted on the map. Whether you want to skirt around the area or drive straight in is up to you!

• Global - Global Curveballs are unescapable, they will be in effect no matter where you are and you’ll just need to take this into account as you traverse the world.

Resolving a Curveball

• Timed Curveballs - Some Curveballs are just destined to fade out over time. These will eventually expire and the effects will come and go.

• Objective Curveballs - Some of the worst Curveballs will need you to take action to rid the world of it’s influence. These actions are small objectives, that when completed, will clear up the effects so you can get back to the “normal life” of surviving the apocalypse.

Curveballs UI

With this new system, a few new UI additions have been made so everything easier to understand when a Curveball starts and when they end.

Curveball Menu

With these seemingly random things happening, you need a way to track what’s happening. This is where the Curveball Menu can help! Every detail you receive will be recorded and visible within this new tab in the menu screen.
  • Curveball Entries - This page in the menu will provide information on all events upcoming, active and expired.
    • Upcoming Entries - Curveballs are a result of new and emerging situations occurring in the wasteland. Before a Curveball and it’s effects become active, a survivor may ask to speak to you about an observation. This intel is your forewarning to an upcoming curveball and will be recorded here.

• Active Entries - When the Curveball appears in the world it will shift up from Upcoming to Active! This is when the situation and effects are live. All active curveballs will be recorded here in the menu for reference at anytime.

• Expired Entries - Curveballs will eventually come to an end, either from time or the completion of it’s associated objective. Once it has ended it the effects will be removed and the event entry will shift down into the expired section in the menu.
  • Details - The central component of the Curveball Menu is where all the details are shown.
    • Event panel - The event itself, it’s description and all it’s active effects can be easily viewed in the central component of the page.
    • Zombie Type - Some Curveballs will only affect a particular zombie type, this will be displayed here.
  • Effects Overview - Multiple Curveballs can be active at once and it may be tricky to remember all the active effects live and influence the simulation. The details panel is your overview to see them all in one place.
    • Positive modifiers - Effects which benefit your survivors will be marked with a green up arrow.
    • Negative modifiers - Effects which are dangerous to your survivors will be marked with a red down arrow.
    • Star symbols next to effects denote that they are Major effects.
  • Notes - Life in the wasteland moves quickly and you may not catch everything which gets mentioned on the radio. Your conversations and the observations you make will be recorded in the Notes section of the Curveball Menu, allowing you to easily read through the events that led to the appearance of this Curveball.
    • Open the Notes menu at the bottom of the page to receive the timeline popup revealing who said what on which day.

Curveballs and the map

With some Curveballs being location based and some having objectives tied to them. The map has been updated to help visualize where a Curveball is affecting or where it’s relevant objectives are.

Curveball Notifications

Surviving the apocalypse means a lot can be going on, so when the latest Curveball comes around, new notifications will appear to give you the info you need at a glance.

Notifications will appear whenever a Curveball is
  • Starting soon
  • Becomes active
  • Has ended
  • An objective has completed / updated

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom