Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Stoic thanks you for the Banner Saga, says work on sequel will commence soon

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Stoic Studio; The Banner Saga

The guys at Stoic recently posted this on their Facebook page:

The three of us at Stoic want to give a heart-felt thank you to all the fans who have supported us by playing The Banner Saga. We've gotten so many messages about personal experiences with the game that we've been quite honestly blown away. We didn't set out to make a game for everybody, but the people who like it have been incredibly, overwhelmingly supportive, far beyond what we had expected.

Aside from the relief that comes with knowing that we'll be able to keep working at Stoic for a long time to come, what has been really rewarding is the individuals who write to us saying things like "No game has ever been more worthy of the title 'Saga'. A saga is something epic, something that will linger in the minds and memories of people for years to come. For that is what The Banner Saga is, a little slice of perfection that nobody else can spoil." I can't tell you how validating and important that has been to us. To each of you who have supported us to make this journey become a reality: thank you.

The feedback we've gotten from players and reviewers have really been taken to heart. We've already put out the first patch fixing issues reported by players about bugs and balance and after a short hiatus we'll be coming back to work on the next game in the trilogy. If there's one complaint we've heard over and over, it's that the story isn't done.

In short, we couldn't ask for more, thanks to you.

-Alex, John and Arnie​

We always knew the game was going to be a trilogy, but I suppose it's nice to hear their intentions to move forward now after the first game has become a reality. Here's a snippet from the update back in April explaining their plan:

We consider the first part of The Banner Saga to be a complete game in its own right. We also plan to make The Banner Saga a trilogy. Once all three parts are finished they will tie together to form the entire trilogy and one big story arc. Your progress from Chapter 1 will carry over into Chapter 2 and 3. We will be releasing Chapter 1 first, then 2 and then 3 as soon as each part is complete.​

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Your progress from Chapter 1 will carry over into Chapter 2 and 3. We will be releasing Chapter 1 first, then 2 and then 3 as soon as each part is complete.

Where have we heard that before? :M

Repressed Homosexual
Horrible game that does little right and isn't deep or satisfying, just comfort food and easy gratification for Bioware fans. It only makes me wish for a new Shining Force SRPG. Basically they just spent all their money on detailed Flash animations, art and voice acting that add nothing to the gameplay and that ultimately no one cares about, with ultimately the end product being 7-8 hours long and much, much poorer than 20+ years-old console games.

Wait for the Codexer who is making a proper SRPG and whose Kickstarter was approved instead.

Steam says 40 hours. I did start over a bit into the game, once i had gotten a grip on the combat system.

EDIT: If you're looking for a long game where you can grind levels and items forever, this is not for you. It's a short condensed experience, but personally i had much more fun than, for example MMX.
It didn't outstay its welcome, but i think the price tag should have reflected that a bit better. ~$15 seems fair.

Last edited:
if they want to thank me they can put in some proper c&c instead of the fake bioware shit and also more enemy variety in the next chapter...
but personally i had much more fun than, for example MMX.

Feeling tempted to write a mini-review explaining why i liked the game so much.
But then again..this is the internet, even the codex, so what's the point :)

m_s0

Arcane
if they want to thank me they can put in some proper c&c instead of the fake bioware shit and also more enemy variety in the next chapter...
Don't forget decent writing. It's easily the cheapest element, the easiest one to get right (I'm talking decent here, not great) and something they've fucked up most.

set

Cipher
I tried playing the Banner Saga F2P title over a year ago. Left me very unimpressed. I was pretty sure the SP game, if it ever saw the light of day, would just be a flashy flash game with little substance. Some codexers claimed I was totally out of line suggesting it though... I was foolish to doubt my instincts here? Or is this game a lot better than I'm hearing?

Heresiarch

Prophet
I tried playing the Banner Saga F2P title over a year ago. Left me very unimpressed. I was pretty sure the SP game, if it ever saw the light of day, would just be a flashy flash game with little substance. Some codexers claimed I was totally out of line suggesting it though... I was foolish to doubt my instincts here? Or is this game a lot better than I'm hearing?

The SP game is a very pretty game with nice KODPish choice and consequences and with Game of Thrones level cruelty when it comes to killing main characters off. Combat system is good at first but seriously flawed in several aspects, with the biggest problem being characters all move in alternate turns, so if you have 6 friendlies and 2 bad guys left, those bad guys get to move 3 times per turn while each of your friendlies only once per turn.

The game is flawed here and there, such as having no proper s/l system. The cruelty of plot sounds awesome and daring on paper but would lead to frustrating moments, because you can't foresee a lot of consequences with logic and some choices which sound like to be the proper one is actually the worst one. Combined with the fact the game autosaves everytime after major choices this leads to a lot of frustration.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom