Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Storm of Zehir. B+, lacklustre story, would play again!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"the least amount of combat of any NWN game to date btw, but it was not combat driven."

Not true. That's SOU. And, I say that despite believing that MOTB is way way better. And, before SOZ, I thoguht SOU was the weakest NWN series campaign. *shrug*

"you can't rest wherever you want in the middle of monster infested areas"

I've never made that complaint. Dumbass. Hell, I only rested 4-6 times max throughout my playtime. In fact, I leveled as much as rested, and had even rested when i didn't really need to but I did so i can memorize new spells after level up. I have NEVER had to adjust my spells depending on where I'm headed. hell, i've barely used any spells IN combat (mostly just cure spells after fights to get rid of the gnat bites). Heck, my mage even has stoneskin (and other top spells) unused when I go to rest sicne I simply don't bother with such buffs in SOZ.

"I'm saying that your taste in games is so weird that nobody who has any kind of "normal" taste, be it mainstream or hivemind, should ask your opinion in anything."

You are retarded.

You telling me that nobody shares my love for the FO series, BG series, MOTB, ARC, or BL? Nor nobody else dislikes the ES series or DS series? Yeah, I'm an anomaly.

Don't be fuckin' lame with your bullshit lies.

I may be 'different'; but my tastes in games are not unique. Idiot.

"Go to the ruined yuan-ti temple, the ogre cave, the banite enclave (probably many more) as soon as possible and then tell me that all you need is "some tactics". Not to mention that many encounters consist of mixed spellcasters + melee. Volly, are you denying the FACT that SoZ provides many locations that you are quite probable to encounter before they become a piece of cake? I had 2 or 3 locations that I left alone after reloading for the 3rd time to come back later with some more levels under the belt. Sadly, the game seems to go to shit after you hit around level 12. Haven't had any challenge in ages... "

L0L Ogres. L0L I met a few ogres on the road. Killed them with taking 1 hit. HAHAHA! Sorry, this game is easy. I like the coincidence where all the so called 'hard' battles happen to be ones you know I haven't faced yet (probably by reading dead end SG thread). I guess SOZ is one of those mystical games that magically gets better just after the spot I quit.

btw, I reached level 9, and encounters are still shit, and they were shit from the start. None were hard. One was challenging. 2-3 others were 'interesting' or 'amusing'. That's out of 100+ encounters. LMAO

BNut, hey, if you find fights with 3 shitty wraiths, or 2 pussy wyverns hard, be my fuckin' guest.

btw, I won't be metting any of these so called 'hard' encounters, as I've stopped playing the game. The game is shit. It's so bad, that to me The Witcher is much better and any Codexer knows how much I loathe TW. Hell, I almost feeling like buying FO3 just to get the bad taste out of my mouth. ALMOST.

Fuck the SOZ. Give me POR2. Or at least POR1 which is an awesome example of a dungeon/map exploration/old school game.

Abd, remember, this is coming from someone who loves the NWN1/NWN2/Aurora combat style.

MOTB had MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better combat and exploration than SOZ does. No contest.

People who claim that SOZ reminds them of their pnp campaigns are either shitfaced liars or had very shitty campaigns. Any DM - including me - who tried make a SOZ like campaign would simply have no players left.

ushdugery

Scholar
with such elegant writing and flair I'm sure you could pull off any campaign you wanted.

Rhalle

Magister
What SoZ does well, it does in little bits of old school.

Consistency (or scope) of experience isn't its strong point.

That said, I'm surprised to see a B+.

I expect other reviews will be in the 7 range, and 6s won't surprise me, since the 'It's NWN so we should be kind' reservoir of good will has run dry.

I like what the game does well enough, and concede that it succeeds where it wants to (and often where it seems like it has no idea), but B+ is awful generous from a major reviewer.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
...It gives you the means -- the freedom -- to make your own story...

Sounds like the sort of excuse used in justifying Fallout 3's high marks. Although I don't doubt that SoZ is infinitely more involved than FO3's pitiful attempt at anything story/interaction-wise, it's still frustrating to see reviewers using this sort of logic when it is obvious that there is no way in modern gaming, with it's limitations as they are, for a player to absolutely "make their own [fucking] story." There is either a good, linear story (PS:T); a shitty, linear story (Oblivion); or no fucking story at all (MMORPGs, and don't go denying it).

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Oh shit... challenger goes to hell
challenger-shuttle-disaster.jpg

I've never played Guild Wars but when I do think about the MMORPGs I've played, I always think about the fact that, and as Yahtzee mentioned in his video review [rape] of Age of Conan, every OTHER PERSON is also the HERO WHO'LL SAVE THE WORLD. There can be only one hero DAMNIT!

Such things make me feel less special :cry:

I'm waiting for the prophetic time when some prodigy designs a system for MMORPGs where convincing personal PC involvement in the world can be attained.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom