Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Story faggotry nuances

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by PorkyThePaladin, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Maxwell's Demon Arcane

Maxwell's Demon
    Maybe we should be telling writers and designers to make the first iteration of games tell a story solely through level and encounter design before letting them write any dialogue or lore.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Sweeper Magister Zionist Agent

Sweeper
    The only thing I'm reading is numbers and feat descriptions, the writers and designers can do whatever the fuck they want, cause I'll skip whatever they come up with.

^ Top  
  3. samuraigaiden Liturgist

samuraigaiden
    RPG Wokedex
    The story of the game should always be the story of your gameplay choices, the lucky or crappy results you got from RNG, the dumb mistakes you made and had to live with, the warrior that died in the first trip to the dungeon and the other one that survived all the way to the end, etc. Good C&C is "do I cast my last spell now or do I save it for later?".

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    I see Fredric Brown's short-short has been revised for a modern audience. Or was it from memory?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    I don't get the "gameplay only" contingent here. I mean I love good gameplay, but good/decent writing adds to that an entire separate element to enjoy, but also, in addition to that, as I already mentioned, it provides the context and meaning for the rest of gameplay. To the people in this thread who say "oh, I just want to kill the next enemy, etc", don't you get bored by that after a while, without any kind of point to it? I always start feeling bored in games like Diablo or ToEE or even Dark Souls (though I like the latter) after a while, just because the ratio of story/writing to combat/gameplay is so low.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • No No x 3
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Citizen Arcane

Citizen
    Unidentified palace somewhere in southern Russia
    Focusing on cutscenes, narration and long expository dialogues in videogames is the same as focusing on narration and expository dialogues in cinema: don't fucking do it, it's not a book

Just how the "show, don't tell" rule applies to movies, "let me fucking play, don't show another cutscene/dialogue" should apply to videogames

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    imagine not being able to recognize how important the writing is in 2021

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Maxwell's Demon Arcane

Maxwell's Demon
    Imagine thinking enormous, overly verbose dumps of exposition can be excused in any medium in 2021.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Sweeper Magister Zionist Agent

Sweeper
    I've played Diablo clones enough to know that the answer to that is a resounding no.
    And it's not just about killing the enemy, it's about theorycrafting and seeing how much you can break the game.

^ Top  
  10. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Storyfaggotry comes with railroading, and railroading should get the fuck out of my games.

• Agree x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Butter Arcane

Butter
    They added more story in Bannerlord and it's dumb.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    So maybe?

Don't care to play? KROAH has the answers.
    Show Spoiler

Colecovision not supported...
    GOD DAMNIT!!!

• incline incline x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Dick Flattener Pro Literate

Dick Flattener Pro
    It was from memory, don't tell me I screwed it up unless you want me to live up to the username.

^ Top  
  14. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Not screwed it up, but in the original it was the last man.

^ Top  
  15. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Narrative writing in CRPGs was a mistake.

[​IMG]

Show Spoiler
    This Yamara comic strip originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #160 (August 1990).

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. deadmeme Learned

deadmeme
    Stories in RPG's are terrible and cannot compare to a decent book. To much chosen one and power fantasy bullshit to take it seriously for me. So I like the ones that are about party compositions. Fallout 2 has a chosen one story, Morrowind, Planescape Torment, BG 1, 2 etc. I am not playing RPG's for stories. But there are games in which I really like stories and exposition. In Age of Decadence, you come into this alien ancient world, where you learn that the age of magic is long past. You arrive in main city, there you see in an area remnants of magic use. In the endgame you use that this magic/tech was use by some aliens/demons than you meet them. And you are weak compared to them. I like story in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines also. You are a vampire, so it might be considered power fantasy, but you are bottom of the barrel, just trying to survive. You have progressively harder tasks that prepare you for the endgame. It would be better if you didn't met Caine in the end, because why is he wasting his time on you?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Thac0 Hopeless Optimist Patron

Thac0
    That is not even wargaming casual, that is a normal boardgame.
    THIS is how a wargame has to look.
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

It is still pretty autistic but a load of fun.
    If you have a big table and a bunch of units at home you can even play it in private with friends, which cuts down on the autism a lot.
    It is expensive tho, most publishers take a lot for those minitiatures and rulebooks.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Thac0 Hopeless Optimist Patron

Thac0
    You lot need to learn to skim read.
    It is never good, but it is not a dealbreaker either if you have a halfway decent reading speed.

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Ol' Willy Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Ol' Willy
    All of this is cool, but I was obviously talking about PC wargames. Like such:

[​IMG]

The only genre yet not touched by decline. Also way harder than any RPG, man.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. deadmeme Learned

deadmeme
    Not hard. There are RPG-s like Realms of Arkania that are hard.

^ Top  
  21. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    There are actually quite a few RPGs that are not about the chosen one (though it is a curse upon the genre). Here's a few good ones off the top of my head:

Gothic games (1-3) - you play some nameless guy who starts out as a convict
    Disco Elysium - alcoholic, depressed detective
    Witcher games (1-3) - a jaded monster hunter shunned by society
    Anachronox - down on his luck private eye
    Arx Fatalis - another convict
    Albion - space pilot
    Expeditions: Vikings - Danish jarl

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    "Story faggotry" ain't a intelligible concept you idiotic fucking piece of shit, clean up your stupid language before I make you with utmost vulgarity

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. deadmeme Learned

deadmeme
    Arx Fatalis is a dungeon crawler, not story based RPG (but I agree it is a solid story), Witcher is power fantasy.

^ Top  
  24. Goldschmidt Learned

Goldschmidt
    The nuance is to always kill the fag in the story.

^ Top  
  25. Harry Easter Savant

Harry Easter
    I always assumed for shits and giggles. The Vampires in this world, especially the very old farts, are like that.

I think the problem with a lot of writing is that story and gameplay are basically two separate things. For example in Final Fantasy XIII you have little Hope, who is a ten-ish years old boy and afraid of everything in the cutscenes, but during he kills everybody with his little boomerang during combat like it is nothing.

On the other hand writing isn't just dialogue, it's also trying to find a way to make exhaustive powers legitimate in the world. That's why I kind of like the way they solved it in D:OS2. You're the Chosen One, yes, but mostly everything you can do in game, is also supported by the plot. I mean, they even found a cheeky story-explanation why so many people look alike in-game :D.

Most writing is still just there to deliver expositions and get you into the gameplay-loop. We may moan about Numeneras walls of text (and for good reason), but most of the time the actual writing still isn't important enough, even in so called storydriven games.

I see this with Dungeon Siege 2. The game has an interesting premise at the beginning: you work for the bad guy, but only in the tutorial. And it isn't even important besides to give you an barebones motivation to wander around and killing everybody. Which is a shame, because the parts of the story I have played so far are descent enough, that I want to find more out about the world and its lore. Because a good story is in the end as rewarding as new Levels or new locations or new weapons.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.