Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Storytelling techniques in RPGs and MMORPGS

bylam

Funcom
Developer
I'm doing an analysis of storytelling techniques in games with a specific focus on RPGs and MMORPGs.
Essentially I'll be analysing my favourite RPGs of the past three decades and looking at how their narrative techniques compare to those used by hollywood and popular fiction.

The major focus of the analysis is: Does the 3 act structure work when storytelling is non-linear and, if not, what kinds of narrative types are the most successful in gaming?

I'm compiling a list of games for analysis - looking for feedback on anything that folks consider a story heavy game that I might have missed. Generally I've picked one game that is representative of its own niche (i.e. one gold box game, one "wizardry type") e.t.c

Darksun: Shattered Lands
Pool of Radiance
Wizardry 8
Knights of the Old Republic
Planescape: Torment
Fallout/Arcanum
Anarchy Online
World of Warcraft
Daggerfall
Betrayal at Krondor

That's what I have so far. Anything else?

LarsTheSurly

Scholar
Games that I consider to have incredibly well done stories, despite translation errors that range from irritating to immersion-breaking:

Final Fantasy Tactics (Tactics style RPG. duh)
- Most people know this game, but for those who don't, the story revolves around a power struggle between two Princes and a mysterious third party. The most accurate description I've heard of the plot is "An orgy of backstabbing and betrayal."

Breath of Fire II and III (Old JRPGs, before the genre was overrun with half-naked teenagers)
- These games were on the SNES and PS1 respectively, so there's not as much character interaction as in modern games (especially with BoF 2) but the stories are noteworthy. Both have plots that are based on similar ideas. The main character sets out on a quest to help his childhood friend(s), and eventually gets tangled up in a huge conspiracy that has influenced much of world history.

Both of these games have memorable stories and characters that are easy to relate to.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I would skip the whole "stories in MMO's" part if I were you. Lack of material.

Also, why combining Fallout and Arcanum?

Lastly, consider Betrayal at Krondor.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Fallout/Arcanum is the isometric choice and consequence "Troika" style RPG. That's why I combined them.

Betrayal at Krondor, good call. Goes on the list.

Sorry I neglected to mention it is specifically western storytelling focused (i.e. JRPG's are out)

As for stories in MMO's - I find the subject quite fascinating. It can be argued that MMO's provide the framework and let the playerbase paint the picture or, as in WoW, a story arc develops over time and every new piece of content added has some meaning in the larger scale. I guess it really depends on how you define story. I tend to think that MMO's have more of a world events than a single player focused story, but is that actually a story or simply an arbitrary timeline?

Planescape...it's a definite winner but it also suffers from disadvatages that other games mentioned do not. i.e. Predefined character and character history.

Khor1255

Arcane
I have found Jagged Alliance 2 to be the best synthesis between a story heavy game and one that is actually enjoyable to play (and especially replay) mainly due to the many 'easter egg' type sub plots and side quests that are contained within.

It is one thing to have a great story for your game. Even better when the game is actually playable but best yet is when you can make a game that you still find enjoyable after years of replay (let alone the moddability aspects of such a multi faceted storyline approach).

If you are skipping this one I think you have missed quite a lot.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You might also take in Morrowind for storytelling on a more free-roaming basis, where much of the world history is found by exploration and where there is a rather obscure alternate way to finish the mainquest if you accidentally killed an important character.

Consider selecting titles that are representative of narrative techniques. In gaming the narrative content is either fixed or emergent. "Fixed" is simply all narrative content created directly by the developers. In contrast "emergent" is a rather fuzzy category, most games have an emergent story to one degree or another - it's largely dependant on the player's imagination. Emergent narrative occurs as a result of the player's interaction with the basic gameplay elements and is not an explicit creation of the game's designers. For example journeying across the wilderness in a free-roaming CRPG like Gothic II or engaging in a Mount & Blade battle are little tales within themselves and a form of emergent narrative.

The presentation of the content itself is either linear, branching or diffuse. "Linear" needs no explanation, it is the traditional non-interactive narrative form. "Branching", or C&C in Codex meme speak, is interactive and mutually exclusive fixed content. Gamebooks are the most representative form of branching narrative. "Diffuse" is an interactive form of narrative where the player stitches together the story from unconnected (in gameplay terms) atomic elements, exploring the lore of Morrowind for example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom