Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - dark fantasy reimagining of FF1 from Team Ninja

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Picked this back up today. Largely forgot how everything works, what words mean, and the timing and tells of basically every enemy in the game. Wee!

Fumbled around a bit, decided to go ahead and start Bahamuty difficulty since it seems to just skip the grind of the previous difficult entirely, and struggled like hell trying out new builds. I figure if I'm this rusty anyways, perfect time to learn a new class!

Well, I did find some of them interesting/useful. Sword fighter seemed promising but that interception shit pulls you right into getting hit sometimes, so that's a no-go from me. Knight was a lot more impressive once I got the hang of parrying instead of soul guarding. I pretty much killed Marileth by blocking her to death, was very entertaining. Of course, it's basicaly shit vs a lot of other stuff, like grapples or long ranged attacks... Seems cool, but sitational. Tried to get Assassin going again, but honestly, even with 20 stacks, that finisher move just doesn't hit hard enough to justify the buildup. And again, situational. Lots of enemy are too big to swing around behind them. It's a shame you can't use a normal sword as an assassin, that swift strike move that moves you behind enemies would be a godsend. I found a Cactuar trinket while playing and it's 1000 needles skill actually might be amazing for an assassin though- get behind the enemy and instantly get massive stacks for 1 mana. Will have to test it later. Also, it's utter shit at recovery mana, which makes trying to use it's main ability even harder. Fiddled a bit with Breaker and Berserker too. Zantetsuken is stronger than I'd realized, but I just don't see it being practical charging that long in a big crowd or vs a boss. Maybe it'd be better with a party, but fuck that shit. Berserker's special offers a times two multiplier on damage, which is insane. It also just dies when it gets hit anyways, so meh. Maybe with a properly specced set of armour you could tank hits and vampire the health back or something. I'm not a big fan of big slow weapons to begin with though. But that one axe skill that leaves a pillar of purple fire behind is insane for killing immobile bosses, holy shit.

Anyways, I eventually decided that I needed to make some proper gear, and it'd be a waste to make proper gear out of my shitty level 100-200 stuff, or the few level 300 pieces I have with bad affinities. So I cranked a side mission to max level, threw on some modifiers and dove in. Got absolutely spanked until I went back to ol' reliable: Sage conquers all. Seriously, being able to drop Aeroga faster than most weapon arts is beyond broken. I had to tickle everything to death, but when executed properly, I could juggle anything I encountered pretty much indefinitely. Still died a crapton, because everything kills me in one hit. But it made for a fun way to grind gear.

The mission I did was one of those ones with the unkillable monster spawner making you fight a gauntlet. The first one was bad enough, ending with a pair of nightmares I just barely managed to kill with a sigil'd ultima followed up by some aerogas, which was not easy to execute before the fuckers ran at me. Second gauntlet was where I got the most farming done; started with a pack of wolves, easy enough to handle, then a giant and some sirens that were tricky but doable, and then a fucking pair of Ahrimans- the magic immune insane beholder things that spam all sorts of crazy shit at you. Honestly didn't think it was even going to be possible, but I eventually won using the same tactic as the nightmares- except instead of a couple Aerogas, I needed like, 7. And I had to refill my mana in between castings by hitting both of them at once with my club because the mana regen was so piddly against an enemy that tough. I was about ready to give up and take my pile of loot home, but I actually killed them... only to be greeted by the true final boss of the mission:
5qtkD8a.png

Are you fucking kidding me? This is your ultimate challenge? I eat these guys for breakfast. To be fair, it took about 20 wall bounces to break his gauge with my stats (Did I mention my equipment is entirely shit I found during this mission, unsmithed, and I have no mastery points in my main class?), so...

Fucking stomped.
3IX4Bhj.png

I don't know what any of this shit is, but hundreds of anything made out of adamantite can't be that bad. Also that's like 3 times more crystals than I've gotten in my entire playthrough combined so far.
hyWjzFH.png

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

I'm into the next difficulty now, with the procedurally generated tower. I like it! The levels themselves are just the old levels with enemies shuffled, but there was already a big variety of levels and layouts in those levels so that's fine. The missions that you do to climb the tower have some variance: You can get a boss fight, survival arena, level exploration, monster gauntlet, or even a normal level structure with a boss at the end. Dying during a mission kicks you out, which I like, because it makes glass cannon cheese less viable. I might actually need to get gear with some sort of defenses on it for once. The extra character building stuff unlocked so far is great: Side quests for bonus stats while your run persists, fusing items together and keeping whichever aspects you like the most (I could stick the good sword skills on the cool looking sword!) which makes loot way more worth paying attention to. There's also some kind of unidentified weapons thing I just unlocked, which seems like busywork but maybe it's actually cool.

The new format is once again making me question my class choice; Sage is great for steam rolling a long level with momentum or killing shit way more powerful than you given perfect execution for a couple minutes; but it's fairly crap at staying alive when you drop the ball, and it's a slow start for each of these mini missions before you build up the buffs that let you cast shit at 8x speed. Gear might be able to solve some of these issues, but it could also turn some other classes into absolute powerhouses by say, reducing charge time on something by insane amounts, depending on what the caps on that sort of thing are. And I would dearly love to play without having to use the stupid glory kill mechanic, which can basically be ignored with a melee class. For some reason spells don't get to use the dragoon's ability to auto-explode broken enemies.

Damned Registrations

I grinded to 32 right now.
How in the fuck did you kill the stupid mecha dinosaur boss? This thing is such bullshit. I can maybe beat the first phase half the time by cheesing the ever loving shit out of it: double summon Bang (they don't react to this for some reason) prebuff, summon a third time and start dropping thundaga, can get about 6 casts in before the AI stops shitting the bed and I have to play the fucking Touhou game for him.

Phase 2 doesn't seem as oppressive, but it's still just constant OHKO shit everywhere, and this fucker has way too much health and no weaknesses.

My next best ideas are some sort of infinite paralysis cheese (I've never tried but it might be possible to refresh the status effect faster than it wears off with the rights buffs, and it actually works on him in phase 1 at least...) or abusing the immunity to damage thing knight has, assuming that's not in the 'too good to be true' category. Either way would require me crafting a whole set of gear from scratch though, so I'd rather not.

Is there even anything worthwhile after this boss, or is it just going to be the same content afterwards, looping endlessly? I'm fine with walking away if I've already unlocked all the mechanics.

Edit: I finally killed the fucker. Ramped the cheese up to the point phase one didn't let him get an attack, and after being able to practice phase 2 reliably he was manageable. For an absolute cunt of a boss that shouldn't be in the game. And the reward was.... nothing. Well, there's the next story beat or whatever but I don't really give a fuck. I guess I'll check it out but honestly I was only coming back because the game kept ramping up the ways I could build my character. If all that's left is to grind to make number go up I don't think I care.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
How in the fuck did you kill the stupid mecha dinosaur boss? This thing is such bullshit. I can maybe beat the first phase half the time by cheesing the ever loving shit out of it: double summon Bang (they don't react to this for some reason) prebuff, summon a third time and start dropping thundaga, can get about 6 casts in before the AI stops shitting the bed and I have to play the fucking Touhou game for him.

Phase 2 doesn't seem as oppressive, but it's still just constant OHKO shit everywhere, and this fucker has way too much health and no weaknesses.

My next best ideas are some sort of infinite paralysis cheese (I've never tried but it might be possible to refresh the status effect faster than it wears off with the rights buffs, and it actually works on him in phase 1 at least...) or abusing the immunity to damage thing knight has, assuming that's not in the 'too good to be true' category. Either way would require me crafting a whole set of gear from scratch though, so I'd rather not.

Is there even anything worthwhile after this boss, or is it just going to be the same content afterwards, looping endlessly? I'm fine with walking away if I've already unlocked all the mechanics.

Edit: I finally killed the fucker. Ramped the cheese up to the point phase one didn't let him get an attack, and after being able to practice phase 2 reliably he was manageable. For an absolute cunt of a boss that shouldn't be in the game. And the reward was.... nothing. Well, there's the next story beat or whatever but I don't really give a fuck. I guess I'll check it out but honestly I was only coming back because the game kept ramping up the ways I could build my character. If all that's left is to grind to make number go up I don't think I care.
I killed him using the class (forgot the name) that has the ability to absorb magic. A lot of that boss's attacks (every ranged projectile and those black holes he shits out) can get absorbed and give you a lot of charge that you can then fire back at him for a lot of damage.

Last edited:

Spike

Educated

Good question, I mostly forgot. I used Paladin and Assassin and I had Phoenix to revive my downed homies without using charges or whatever.

EDIT: After that boss there is an one more entire DLC to beat, although it is much shorter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom