Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Strategy First sale on Steam

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

Multi-headed Cow

http://store.steampowered.com/publisher ... y%20First/
They're pushing everything for 50% off. Figured I'd mention it since I know there are at least a few good games in there, and I figured I'd ask and see what the Codex thinks about Sacred Gold, Disciples 2, and Darkstar One. I'll be looking for old threads to read but what the hell, if I'm mentioning the sale I might as well ask.

And one thing I'll mention, Ghost Master is well worth $2.50. Really enjoyable unique game. Only one of these I have any experience with.

Multi-headed Cow

Welp. Bought Disciples 2 Gold, Sacred Gold, Jagged Alliance 2 Gold, Alien Shooter Vengeance and Ghost Master. Should keep me for quite a while, got some strategy, action RPG, action, and sort of puzzle in there. Figured I might as well go overboard since the only game I'm fully looking forward to this year is Majesty 2, and even that might end up terrible.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Unfortunately people that use Euro have to pay loads more. Thank u Valve.

Seldon

Educated
I would suggest getting Disciples 2: Gold from GOG instead. It is cheaper (at least if you live in Europe), and the service is far superior to Steam.
(In unrelated news: GOG put out Gorky 17 today).

However Space Empires 4 seems interesting.

Longshanks

Augur
^^Thanks for the unrelated news. Gorky 17 looks kinda interesting. At $5.99, I may as well pick it up. Anyone played it?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I've had both Sacred Gold and Disciples 2 Gold for a while now and I can't say I find either very entertaining. I liked the open world of Sacred, but none of the classes grabbed me.
I liked the art of Disciples 2, but I didn't like the gameplay that much. Kinda like HoMM, but with less stuff. All of the races were very samey aswell, with some speciality unit differences.

Edit: Space Empires V looks rather interesting. Any opinions on it? Good/bad? I'll buy the game within a few hours if no one answers and see for myself.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Sacred had me hooked for about 20hrs or so, then like all ARPG's it gets very repetative. I really liked the 2.5D art style. I played a Battlemage which was pretty fun leveling up. Definately worth a shot at $5.

Also, if you're after some really fun arcade racer/smash'em ups, the Flatout games provide some good cheap thrills.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Anyone played it?

Yes, pretty light team-based RPG made 100% of combat, but really entertaining combat I think. Monsters have different resistances/immunities, you can throw inflammable liquids on them and then set them of fire, nice variety of weapons etc. Plus, it's also turn-based.

Disciples II was a fun hotseat game. You don't have a lot of monsters, and I don't think you can maneuver in combat, but they gain level-ups. It's been a while since I played it, so I don't want to recommend it, but I think it was good.

I'm certain you can get JA2 gold for 3€ or something in most stores.

Sacred is kind of an inferior Diablo, with less skills and less everything except more ugly polygons.

Space Empires is rather boring, and having two of them is pointless, because they're mostly the same game with updated graphics. Even against a human it doesn't work as any kind of a mental excercise and it moves at a snail's pace. Though I'm not sure if there are a whole bunch of better 4x games available, most of them I have tried are suprisingly much worse than the SE series. I'd just want some charm, distinct races which would preferably have distinct technologies, ship design which doesn't mostly consist of uprgrading your beam guns from beam gun 5 to beam gun 6 and so on every two or so years, technology which isn't just researching the same tech with small improvements 20 times, and so on. Space Empires was cool when I was a kid, but now it's just stale and not very interesting.

Panthera

Scholar
Space Empires V is worth getting. Disciples II is, too.

Most of the rest is crap.

Multi-headed Cow

Ghost Master's worth it. Can't say anything on the rest of my purchases yet since I'm still goddamn downloading them.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/gho ... ead-review
Still, check out a review for it.

And for my first time playing Jagged Alliance 2 gold, should I play vanilla or with 1.13? 1.13 sounds preferable with higher resolutions, better interface, etc, but I wasn't sure if it made it too hardcore or newbie unfriendly.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Multi-headed Cow said:
And for my first time playing Jagged Alliance 2 gold, should I play vanilla or with 1.13? 1.13 sounds preferable with higher resolutions, better interface, etc, but I wasn't sure if it made it too hardcore or newbie unfriendly.

Play vanilla. It's so fucking good you will want to play it again. Then on your second playthrough use 1.13.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom