Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Street Fighter 6

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is this game any good? 4 and 5 kind of killed Street Fighter for me. Or maybe I'm just finally aged out of arcade fighters.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Is this game any good? 4 and 5 kind of killed Street Fighter for me. Or maybe I'm just finally aged out of arcade fighters.

5 was trash. Compared to 4, 6 gives a shared toolset for defense and offense and you pick your flavor of fireball, normals and supers. No more 1 frame links in B&B combos. No heavy comeback mechanic.

6 is less hype to watch than 4, it's more balanced on ranked, and the skill floor/ceil are much better.

Last edited:

It’s good. But if you’ve waited this long I’d just wait a little longer and get the updated version that’ll probably be coming around summer time post the Akuma release.

I like what I’ve played of Street Fighter 6 more than 4, especially the original release of 4 which just felt slightly off...like I remember the jumping in the first version of SF4 being kind of wonky feeling in comparison to their previous 2D output.

mediocrepoet

Patron

It’s good. But if you’ve waited this long I’d just wait a little longer and get the updated version that’ll probably be coming around summer time post the Akuma release.

I like what I’ve played of Street Fighter 6 more than 4, especially the original release of 4 which just felt slightly off...like I remember the jumping in the first version of SF4 being kind of wonky feeling in comparison to their previous 2D output.

Yeah, that's true. Might as well wait for the inevitable Champion Edition or Super Turbo Ultimate Edition or whatever the hell with all the characters.

Yeah, SF4 was... ok. SF5 was a dumpster fire. It sucks because I loved SF1-3 and all the spinoffs like SF Alpha 1-3, Marvel vs. Capcom, etc. in all their incarnations but they lost their way.

Second video has the Akuma trailer and some other stuff about Akuma in the game.
I just hope they don't fuck with his gameplay too much like they did with Ed

It definitely looks like they could be doing something pretty different with him this go around. He’s got a whole aura that goes around him in that trailer now.

That could just be an EX version of moves. Or it could be part of some new install move he has. Or, given the way it’s animated, maybe if you hold the button down while doing a Super it goes into that more power state.

I only ever played Street Fighter 5 at the end, when they were doing that free trail version of Street Fighter V: Champion Edition. I liked what I played of it then, but that was also six years into the game.

I found their approach with Street Fighter 5 to be pretty funny. The V System stuff was very clearly designed to be casual freely. You’ve got these moves that run on meter and you use them by just pressing two buttons. They’re meant to be casual freely, and to offer a degree of customizable to the player...like selecting your Special in Street Fighter 3. But the funny thing about them is a casual player isn’t going to know fucking shit about what all these different options are. So despite seemingly being made to be casual friendly, it’s a design choice that’s totally the opposite of being casual friendly. It didn’t help that the game doesn’t show you what the V options you’re picking do with some little video playing either. I don’t know. I thought it was kind of funny. You try making something that’s casual friendly and you accidentally make it needlessly more complicated than it had to be.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
It's not even worth discussing. The game launched with a single V option and there was only one possible way of playing a character regardless of the player. No self-expression. By the end of its lifespan it went from trash to bad.

I don't believe 6 will have a "GOTY" launch in season 3. SF5 had to do it to wipe the poor reviews from the first couple of years, which SF6 doesn't have.

Last edited:

Dr1f7

Scholar
NO SAKURA NO BUY
street_fighter_bishoujo_sakura_by_hes6789_d8y3xel-414w-2x.png

It's not even worth discussing. The game launched with a single V option and all characters played the same regardless of the player. By the end of it it went from trash to bad.

I don't believe 6 will have a "GOTY" launch in season 2. SF5 had to do it to wipe the poor reviews from the first couple of years, which SF6 doesn't have.

The 2020 leak that showed the next few years of Capcom’s schedule showed plans for a Super Street Fighter 6 the year after the initial release, and a Ultra Street Fighter 6 the year after that. The leak would indicate Capcom was going back to the release cycle Street Fighter 4 had.

It’s possible maybe they’ve changed their plans. I wouldn’t be surprised if the DLC characters they’re doing now were originally meant to be part of the retail release, and that Capcom had to release Street Fighter 6 “early” instead of delaying another year. Those DLC characters were leaked right alongside the main roster, and Street Fighter 6 was originally scheduled to release after Dragon’s Dogma 2.

That all said, they were still talking about sticking to updating just once a year...although every already broken with that recently. Still, it sounded like they were still set on their one big update a year plan, which would fall in line with the big leak.

Street Fighter 5 Arcade Edition is essentially the actual release of Street Fighter 5, and lines up exactly with a pre SF5 interview some Street Fighter developers did (I think during Street Fighter X Tekken) about how long it’s take for Street Fighter 5 to come out.

Nathir

Liturgist

It's fast, requires a certain level of skill, and all the characters are well differentiated in the way they play and offer different approaches. I'd say it's one of the better fighting games released in the past 10 years or so. But like all modern FGs it is overloaded with scrub mechanics and the mentality to close the gap as much as possible between newbies and intermediate players. All the system mechanics promote scrub gameplay and are incredibly high reward for little risk. Drive parry being the main offender. In this game you get to parry by just holding down a button. And if you time it perfectly, you get to go on the offense, albeit you do reduced damage in the combo. But if you misstime it you can still normal parry and are safe. So there is no risk involved in trying to go for a parry.

Drive impact is a reversal attack that has armor that absorbs 2 hits... and if you hit the opponent near a wall you can go into a combo as he wall splats. Or if you absorb an attack with it and hit the enemy he crumbles, leading into a full damage combo. One of the most scrubby mechanics I've ever seen. Atleast there is risk involved as DI can be countered with your own DI, and thus giving you the opportunity to go into a combo. However this one move makes it so that normals that can't be special canceled are incredibly risky to use in neutral, as you need to be able to go into DI at any time. Low levels are also full of people spamming this shit. So you will need to be able to adapt fast or ragequit as everything you do gets you crushed and opponent goes into a combo.

Drive rush is another mechanic that lets you cancel moves into other moves and basically extend combos forever or go into a combo from any stray hit (as long as you have meter). It can also be used in neutral for a super fast dash, and it also slows time on activation and sometimes eats the enemys input. Its kinda like the yellow cancel they introduced in Guilty Gear Xrd, which was another unneeded mechanic. Anyway, Drive rush is one of the most used tools in the game and certain characters can punish you from half a screen away with it if you aren't careful. Drive rush into throw is another scary option. Then you have the separate super meter, which makes it so you only use it for supers and thus you are seeing 20 sec animation supers every game. And combined with drive rush it means any stray hit can lead into big damage. It's generally easy to do combos that do 40-60% dmg thanks to drive rush.

And looking at the characters, they are full of scrubby things aswell. Modern controls on its own is horrible enough already. Giving Zangiefs 1 button SPD or Ryu 1 button Shoryuken, doing autocombos for players etc. Then you have many characters with mobility moves that are perfectly safe on block like Honda headbutts, blanka rolls etc. Or Lily EX condor spire, a fast dash attack that goes through projectiles and is +on block leaving you guessing if she will command grab you or not (yes I know Lily is a shit character that's not the point). A lot of characters also seem to have command grabs in this game. JP has a projectile command grab (lol), Manon has a super fast dash command grab, and theres more. But what I wanted to say here is that mobility is very high and a lot of moves are super safe and it is not uncommon to completely destroy one round only to get completely destroyed in the next one. It's a very volatile game with a very high amount of guesswork in my opinion. More so than SFV imo. But it also plays faster and the characters are better designed and more fun imo.

mediocrepoet

Patron

It's fast, requires a certain level of skill, and all the characters are well differentiated in the way they play and offer different approaches.

Thanks for the detailed opinion. It starts out sounding promising and then goes into a bunch of things that sound irritating to me. Anyway, I do really appreciate it, I think I'll be waiting for a deeper sale than I've seen so far and/or the mega ultimate all characters collection that they've always historically released.

Drive Impact is such an easy move to counter on startup I can’t believe there’s still people bitch about it. It’s so easy to just counter with your own Drive Impact, or just throw someone out of Drive Impact.

Some of the Drive abilities they added in this game seem to be taken right out of Devil May Cry 5. Drive Rush is essentially a 2D version of DMC5’s Trickster Style Dodge. And Street Fighter 6’s version of Parry (Drive Parry) is DMC5 Royalguard Style Block and Royal Block.

I never noticed it before, but recently I was looking at the credits for Dragon’s Dogma 2, I was wondering if Kento Kinoshita still worked at Capcom since I hadn’t seen his name on a Capcom game since Dragon’s Dogma Online. Turns out he’s Lead Game Designer on 2. But that got me wondering: Where’s Yoichiro Ikeda? He was Lead Designer on the first Dragon’s Dogma, and he’s been working with Hideaki Itsuno on everything since Devil May Cry 2...before that they had also done Star Gladiator together. Turns out Yoichiro Ikeda is a Planner on Street Fighter 6, which makes the Devil May Cry feeling mechanics make more sense.

The Drive system stuff is so Devil May Cry, I wonder if those systems don’t get split up like they are in Devil May Cry when Super Street Fighter 5 comes around. I wonder if even more now that I know the lead on DMC5 is also a planner on SF5. I wouldn’t be surprised if things get separated like Capcom vs SNK Grooves and Street Fighter Alpha 3 ISMs. I could see not wanting to have that kind of stuff you have to pick between in the game meant to introduce people to everything, but a year in and a big update later I could see them doing that kind of thing.

Nathir

Liturgist
Drive Impact is such an easy move to counter on startup I can’t believe there’s still people bitch about it. It’s so easy to just counter with your own Drive Impact, or just throw someone out of Drive Impact.

It's a retarded ability tailor made for silver scrubs and not enough people bitch about it. If its easy to counter or not doesn't even matter at this point.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
and all the characters are well differentiated in the way they play and offer different approaches.
I disagree and honestly this is one of my biggest drawbacks with the game. I feel like 90% of the cast have the same strategy. DR into plus frames into corner carry into guess right or you eat 40-60% of you hp. You guessed wrong two times or tried checking a Drive Rush and your input got eaten. GGs, shake my hand. Because of DR almost everyone has oki after almost every combo ender and a lot of them have easy safe jump also.
Even characters like Guile that are known for their amazing defense are also offensive powerhouses because of the system mechanics.

Nathir

Liturgist
and all the characters are well differentiated in the way they play and offer different approaches.
I disagree and honestly this is one of my biggest drawbacks with the game. I feel like 90% of the cast have the same strategy. DR into plus frames into corner carry into guess right or you eat 40-60% of you hp. You guessed wrong two times or tried checking a Drive Rush and your input got eaten. GGs, shake my hand. Because of DR almost everyone has oki after almost every combo ender and a lot of them have easy safe jump also.
Even characters like Guile that are known for their amazing defense are also offensive powerhouses because of the system mechanics.

I agree, but that's the problem with the system mechanics not the character design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom