Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Street Fighter 6

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Thanks, I'll get it for $20-25.
I wouldn't be surprised if they're planning to expand the main story at some point with DLCs so maybe that will sweeten the deal later into it's lifespan.

Is this game worth it if you just want to play the story mode? (Yes, I am serious :-D )
I liked it but I'm not sure if I would pay full price just for the story mode. It's a nice Yakuza clone I guess.
I think my only problem with the story mode is the abysmal ending and the fact that none of the important characters ever do anything in the main story. They just stand around waiting for your MC to talk to them. At least have Ken be involved in the last chapter of the story since JP and his tournament is the whole reason why he's a hobo.
Thanks, I'll get it for $20-25.

If you’re not really into fighting games you’ll probably get more out of Story Mode than someone really into them. Personally I think World Tour Mode is too easy, and I’m not crazy about the kind of left handed overly goofy tone of it...which is a general kind of problem I’ve had with the tone of Street Fighter since they brought it back with Street Fighter 4. But, and this is a big but, when I see videos of people playing it on YouTube who are self-professed to have not really played all that many (or really any) fighting games, they seem to love the World Tour story mode.

Falksi

Arcane
Lmao, i thought this was a custom character when i first saw it like what the fuck:

aa2af-16858009502638-1920.jpg
I was on the fence about getting it but, as well as a few other concerns, I just can't get past this abomination.

Nathir

Liturgist
A few thoughts after reaching 21500 LP about the game. I think Drive impact is too easy too throw out in neutral. Sure it's risky if the opponent counters it, but you get a full combo off of it. Some normal moves that could be good in neutral become very risky to throw out because od DI if they are not special cancelable. In my opinion damage you get after DI should be scaled down maybe, or give players a little more time to react. I don't know. It might be scrub talk, but with EVO coming up, I predict the higher the stakes will get, the more Drive impact will be (ab) used.

The whole drive meter system is in general really fun and an interesting design but the super meter seems a little tacked on now. Since EX moves are now locked to the Drive meter you only use super meter to use, well... supers. Which means every single match any player will have resources to use his LVL3. And with drive cancels and LVL3s being really easy to combo into... it means you will see LVL3s almost every match, used in a 50-60% combo. Is this good or not? I don't know, I am just getting tired of seeing the animations already. And I think the high damage due to easy combo extends and the DI minigame can lead to some very volatile rounds. Maybe make super meter useful for something else? Or make it fill up slower. Idk. Maybe it's just fine, the game is fun already afterall.

The ranked system is designed to push people onwards even with sub-50% winrates. You always lose 40 when you lose. But when you win you gain 50 at minimum or even more if your opponent had higher points. So just spamming games gets you promoted. Not sure how good that is for actual improvement though. I had like 70% wr before I reached plat. From plat 1 to diamond 3 my winrate dropped to 50%... Atleast it's not as bad as GGs divine tower... but still.

Rashid... not sure if he's top tier or not, but I already hate playing against him.

I initially didn't care much for classic controls, but after playing against 20k points Lukes and Ryus doing 1 button DP... It's just stupid and needs to be changed.

Anyway, excited for EVO. And maybe a new character trailer. And now after almost 2k JP games, I think I might learn a new charatcer. Chun Li maybe.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
It might be scrub talk, but with EVO coming up, I predict the higher the stakes will get, the more Drive impact will be (ab) used.
Check pro games, DI is less of a factor than Drive Rush, which is endemic. Sure, you'll get the odd DI hit as part of a barrage of mixups, but it's not as bad as in ladder.

As for the super bar, in my scrubby opinion you're given the choice of saving for big damage (lvl 3), saving for 2 combos + instant oki (lvl 2), or having several "get off me" reversals (lvl 1). Ofc there are character-specific ones, like Kim needing lvl 3 or Gief's Super 1 being ass.

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
In my opinion damage you get after DI should be scaled down maybe, or give players a little more time to react.
The visual que should be more pronounced imo, on reddish stages I have to turn the sound up or I'm fucked :negative:

it means you will see LVL3s almost every match, used in a 50-60% combo. Is this good or not? I don't know
Agreed on lvl3, the animations are just a tad too long overall and the other supers generally seem pretty situational. Like you said though the game is fun so they probably shouldn't fuck around with it too much just yet or at all (except for the animations, this might sound dumb but shaving of like 2 seconds could do the trick imo).

Last edited:
A few thoughts after reaching 21500 LP about the game. I think Drive impact is too easy too throw out in neutral. Sure it's risky if the opponent counters it, but you get a full combo off of it. Some normal moves that could be good in neutral become very risky to throw out because od DI if they are not special cancelable. In my opinion damage you get after DI should be scaled down maybe, or give players a little more time to react. I don't know. It might be scrub talk, but with EVO coming up, I predict the higher the stakes will get, the more Drive impact will be (ab) used.

The whole drive meter system is in general really fun and an interesting design but the super meter seems a little tacked on now. Since EX moves are now locked to the Drive meter you only use super meter to use, well... supers. Which means every single match any player will have resources to use his LVL3. And with drive cancels and LVL3s being really easy to combo into... it means you will see LVL3s almost every match, used in a 50-60% combo. Is this good or not? I don't know, I am just getting tired of seeing the animations already. And I think the high damage due to easy combo extends and the DI minigame can lead to some very volatile rounds. Maybe make super meter useful for something else? Or make it fill up slower. Idk. Maybe it's just fine, the game is fun already afterall.

The ranked system is designed to push people onwards even with sub-50% winrates. You always lose 40 when you lose. But when you win you gain 50 at minimum or even more if your opponent had higher points. So just spamming games gets you promoted. Not sure how good that is for actual improvement though. I had like 70% wr before I reached plat. From plat 1 to diamond 3 my winrate dropped to 50%... Atleast it's not as bad as GGs divine tower... but still.

Rashid... not sure if he's top tier or not, but I already hate playing against him.

I initially didn't care much for classic controls, but after playing against 20k points Lukes and Ryus doing 1 button DP... It's just stupid and needs to be changed.

Anyway, excited for EVO. And maybe a new character trailer. And now after almost 2k JP games, I think I might learn a new charatcer. Chun Li maybe.

Drive Impact is so easy to counter with Drive Impact when someone is just throwing it out in neutral. The startup time for Drive Impact is enough to almost always counter with your own Drive Impact once you’re used to it. You play the CPU on level 7 and 8 and I’m not sure you even can just thrown out a neutral Drive Impact without getting fucked for it.

They want players using those EX OD moves and Supers. Having the Super meter just be for Supers is also how the meter traditionally worked in Street Fighter; when it was added to Street Fighter 2, in the Street Fighter Alpha series, and in the Capcom vs SNK games that’s how it worked. Street Fighter 4 essentially did what this game is doing with meter too... EX moves did use SUPER meter in SF4 too, just like SF3, but Street Fighter 4 also had Ultra Combo moves as the big move with its own Ultra meter. Street Fighter 5 also split stuff up into multiple meters, where you had a second “Super meter” in the form of the V meter.

The Drive Parry is so much like the Royal Guard system in Devil May Cry 5 (with the Trickster Dash as the Drive Rush) I wonder if there was a point in development where it was basically the same. Like as is now all your Drive System stuff is folded into one meter, but I could see it being like DMC5 where it’s two. You could have a Guard meter like in Alpha 3 that just governs your Parry, (and puts you in a Guard Crush state if you drain the Guard meter) and the Drive meter acting like DMC5’s Royal Guard meter lets you do (two levels of) a Royal Release Drive Impact, and a Royal Revenge Alpha Counter Drive Reversal.

Personally I’d be interested in seeing them go all in on the Modern Controls and have all your Specials use meter. You eliminate the move inputs (could still keep inputs like Ryu’s new Denjin Charge/Hado Kakusei and Akume’s Tenma Shurettou, Kongou Kokuretsu Zan, Rasen Shuto Uchi, and Shun Goku Satsu) but you replace it with meter management. Move the Burnout mechanic over to this Super Stamina meter, maybe even have the character pause for a bit in exhaustion like Dragon’s Dogma does when you run out of stamina, (shorter than a guard crush or dizzy animation) and add back in the Art of Fighting/KoF Meter Change Capcom used in the Capcom vs SNK so you can manually refill the Super Stamina meter. I’d also just combine Supers and EX moves so the EX version of all your regular moves became more like a Super. It would eliminate some Super Combo moves, but it would also essentially give you Super Combo versions of every Special move you have.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Personally I’d be interested in seeing them go all in on the Modern Controls and have all your Specials use meter. You eliminate the move inputs (could still keep inputs like Ryu’s new Denjin Charge/Hado Kakusei and Akume’s Tenma Shurettou, Kongou Kokuretsu Zan, Rasen Shuto Uchi, and Shun Goku Satsu) but you replace it with meter management. Move the Burnout mechanic over to this Super Stamina meter, maybe even have the character pause for a bit in exhaustion like Dragon’s Dogma does when you run out of stamina, (shorter than a guard crush or dizzy animation) and add back in the Art of Fighting/KoF Meter Change Capcom used in the Capcom vs SNK so you can manually refill the Super Stamina meter. I’d also just combine Supers and EX moves so the EX version of all your regular moves became more like a Super. It would eliminate some Super Combo moves, but it would also essentially give you Super Combo versions of every Special move you have.
Hell fucking no dude.

Nathir

Liturgist
It might be scrub talk, but with EVO coming up, I predict the higher the stakes will get, the more Drive impact will be (ab) used.
Check pro games, DI is less of a factor than Drive Rush, which is endemic. Sure, you'll get the odd DI hit as part of a barrage of mixups, but it's not as bad as in ladder.

As for the super bar, in my scrubby opinion you're given the choice of saving for big damage (lvl 3), saving for 2 combos + instant oki (lvl 2), or having several "get off me" reversals (lvl 1). Ofc there are character-specific ones, like Kim needing lvl 3 or Gief's Super 1 being ass.

Yeah I know DR is used way more, but that will always be the case because it's just how the game is designed. They want you to extend combos, and/or rush in from half a screen. It's how the game is supposed to play out. DI on the other hand should be more of a situational thing imo. I really think they could just up the scaling of a combo if DI hits. Again, maybe I just need to stop spamming cr.medium with JP.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
You play zoner deegen, it's not surprising everyone is DI-ing yo ass. Nobody DIs gief.

grim1234

Novice
Completely agree. Their goal was to make an SF game that could be enjoyed even by people who don't like SF.

Ok. So why haven't they made some moves that are hard to pull off in general still require some kind of motion or combination on Modern? Would this be impossible to implement or a bad idea?

They should’ve built the game around the Modern Control system so they could balance the game around the system. The Modern Control system seems built to go hand and hand with Super moves always using meter like Art of Fighting Super moves and using Skills in Dragon’s Dogma. Or, if they didn’t regulate them with meter, then the timing of animations would probably be different. But you can’t do the animation thing in a game where you’ve doing both control systems. And building them around meter usage would probably need to be a big rethink of both systems since your essentially talking two totally different systems that’d bring things more in line to selecting a different Groove in Capcom vs SNK or a different ISM in Alpha 3.

I wouldn’t be totally surprised if some change comes in Super Street Fighter 6, (or the later Ultra if they’re still saying with their old leak plan) and the two systems become even more distinct from each other. But the initial idea seems to be to keep everything fairly simple while people are just jumping in and not have a bunch of varying system changes the player is making.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
The system is fine how it is. At EVO you saw some people going Modern (with Haitani reaching top 6) but the loss of normals and damage when doing modern inputs balances it. Even in ranked I barely saw people using it and while instant DP was a big advatage, they weren't unbeatable. Not by a long shot.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Explain yourself, Shadowfang
Oh sure, i am dissing the modern 1 button as popamole because we don't have a awesome button emote.

I disagree with Capcom, i think its implementation is bad in a series with input as tight as street fighter. Even if its widely used in tournaments (its already a bad sign, because there are people using) it does not matter since i don't, and never will, play at that level.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
I disagree with Capcom, i think its implementation is bad in a series with input as tight as street fighter. Even if its widely used in tournaments (its already a bad sign, because there are people using) it does not matter since i don't, and never will, play at that level.
I think it's fine for the most part and fighting games have had easy inputs since forever whether they want to call them "modern", GG's "stylish" or Tekken's "Special Style" to name a few.
My problem is when you have interviews saying that the only reason Classic is even an option is because of the oldheads at the company.
You want to draw the twitch streamers and their crowd that will just play the game for the story/arcade and maybe a tournament where they just spam buttheads at eachother? That's fine, take all their money for all I care. But don't completely invalidate the playstyle that made you popular to begin with.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Is Capcom saying that?
I remember seeing a few posts about that but now that I look up the source it seems like it was a mistranslation (wither unintentional or for clickbait)
This was the actual quote
Director Nakayama: To put it bluntly, we could've just made the game without Classic Controls at all if we wanted to. But that would have forced this ideal upon all of the legacy fans and caused a lot of problems that way instead. On the development staff we actually have a lot of 'old players', and a lot of them said 'I don't like you calling it Classic Controls!'. So we figured we'd just have it all in there and let the players settle it in matches which is better.
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2023/jul/27/sf6-director-game-classic-controls/
Take it how you will

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Is Capcom saying that?
I remember seeing a few posts about that but now that I look up the source it seems like it was a mistranslation (wither unintentional or for clickbait)
Director Nakayama: To put it bluntly, we could've just made the game without Classic Controls at all if we wanted to. But that would have forced this ideal upon all of the legacy fans and caused a lot of problems that way instead. On the development staff we actually have a lot of 'old players', and a lot of them said 'I don't like you calling it Classic Controls!'. So we figured we'd just have it all in there and let the players settle it in matches which is better.
Take it how you will
I remember their website having a similar wording aswell. Like the classic mode was something vestigial. They are lying to those unaware, trying to build their audience, while winking at the old base at the same time hoping to satisfy both.

Fuck'em.

Is Capcom saying that?
Take it how you will
I remember their website having a similar wording aswell. Like the classic mode was something vestigial. They are lying to those unaware, trying to build their audience, while winking at the old base at the same time hoping to satisfy both.

Fuck'em.

What makes you think they’re lying? It seems perfectly possible that they were thinking of going all in on Modern Control, but some people on staff wanted to keep the old controls, so they just ended up doing both. The idea they’re just saying that to appease an audience that may never even read that interview seems pretty fucking stupid.

The average player bitching about having moves with simple inputs is fucking stupid anyways. Capcom had been doing easy execution “one button” inputs for moves since Marvel vs Capcom 2 added team attacks that only take two buttons to do instantly, which can be used to do just one instant Hyper move if you have at least 1 level of meter.

Ed in Street Fighter 5 was likely them toying with this easy input idea during the previous game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom