Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Street Fighter 6

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I want to main Cammy, but she hasn't felt good to me since SFIV and she feels even worse than she did in V now. I don't want to be a Chun Li main again, but I feel like I'm stuck with her.

just

Liturgist
you have to work like crazy to get anywhere with chun
she doesnt have anything to rob people

My biggest problem with the game so far is that I really hate the new characters. I hate fighting against them too. Doesn't hate that Manon is completely busted and you fight a lot of them at Diamond +.

Who are you playing?

For me Marisa and Ken are by far the most popular opponents. Followed by Juri/Cammy. Manon and Marisa don't seem too busted to me, more like midtier. I think Ken, Juri, Luke are a cut above the rest atm.
Manon is super busted IMO. At least in high plat/low diamond she's just braindead. If it were up to me I'd have medals reset between rounds, or have her lose a medal when she gets thrown, or decrease damage on her command throw. As it is, if you guess wrong on 2nd round Manon you're basically losing 35% hp on one 5f input, no meter or drive gauge required.

Plus, she has great buttons, one of the best uppercuts in the game (2+HP), good range on normals (her 5 MP is one of the most obnoxious normals in the entire game plus it leads to a braindead 50% mixup), a decent sweep, good corner combos, etc. Her only weaknesses are lack of corner carry and an invincible reversal. Any player who picks Manon and isn't instantly Diamond in their placement matches is utter trash.

I play as Ryu and it's a world of difference. He's not bad but not great either. I'd put him at low B or high C tier depending on your reactions (I'm old so my reactions are shit). Ken is pretty much 100% better in all respects. But I like the way Ryu looks and I really like this game's version of Shin Shoryuken, so I'm sticking with him.

Sunri

Liturgist
my first rage quit :positive:

GmSxL3v.png

Reever

Scholar
Patron
For me Marisa and Ken are by far the most popular opponents. Followed by Juri/Cammy. Manon and Marisa don't seem too busted to me, more like midtier. I think Ken, Juri, Luke are a cut above the rest atm.
For me I always get paired with Ken, Manon or Cammy. They are by far the most popular (in my bracket at least). Quite a few JPs as well but I don't mind them since ,surprisingly, I have the highest win % against them. I think it's somewhere around 85%.
Also I've yet to fight a Lily. What a waste of a character slot.

Arthandas

Prophet
I've played around 50+ matches and I'm yet to see a single JP, Dhalsim or Jamie. I think Luke, Manon and Ken are the most common.

Nathir

Liturgist
My biggest problem with the game so far is that I really hate the new characters. I hate fighting against them too. Doesn't hate that Manon is completely busted and you fight a lot of them at Diamond +.

Who are you playing?

Manon is super busted IMO. At least in high plat/low diamond she's just braindead. If it were up to me I'd have medals reset between rounds, or have her lose a medal when she gets thrown, or decrease damage on her command throw. As it is, if you guess wrong on 2nd round Manon you're basically losing 35% hp on one 5f input, no meter or drive gauge required.

Plus, she has great buttons, one of the best uppercuts in the game (2+HP), good range on normals (her 5 MP is one of the most obnoxious normals in the entire game plus it leads to a braindead 50% mixup), a decent sweep, good corner combos, etc. Her only weaknesses are lack of corner carry and an invincible reversal. Any player who picks Manon and isn't instantly Diamond in their placement matches is utter trash.

I play as Ryu and it's a world of difference. He's not bad but not great either. I'd put him at low B or high C tier depending on your reactions (I'm old so my reactions are shit). Ken is pretty much 100% better in all respects. But I like the way Ryu looks and I really like this game's version of Shin Shoryuken, so I'm sticking with him.

Hmmm... maybe. I don't play against that many Manons tbh, but I have a great winrate against her with JP. I struggle the most against Juri and Ken.

Ryu seems average, yeah. But cisually he looks better than ever. I actually think I might pick him up as a secondary, even though I was never a fan of him. But first I still need to practice my JP combos more, if I want to ever get into diamond.

All in all, despite some freak designs (Kimberly is actually the worst character imo, not Marisa or Lily), this game is surprisingly fun. Way better than SFV already.

Kimberly is actually the worst character imo, not Marisa or Lily
For me it's a tie between Kimbery and Lily. Lily is just lazy as fuck, while Kimberly is design-by-committee repulsive. Her animations are great and it's obvious a lot of care went into them.

For me it's a tie between Kimbery and Lily. Lily is just lazy as fuck, while Kimberly is design-by-committee repulsive. Her animations are great and it's obvious a lot of care went into them.
For anyone even remotely interested in how animations work, watch this video, even if you're not you should.

Arthandas

Prophet
Yeah, I'd rather have Guy and T. Hawk than Kim and Lily. Funny how both were turned into black girls....

For anyone even remotely interested in how animations work, watch this video, even if you're not you should.

This faggot is trying way too hard.

She would work fine as a man, her design probably started as a man. But committee took over and we got the abomination. I hate all the new characters with a burning passion, except maybe for Jamie.

Oddly Snu-Snu woman doesn't bother me. At least she doesn't have pink hair and I'm pretty sure is intended to be an actual strong wombyn. Kimberly and not-T.Hawk are a different story.

The consensus seems to be that the game does have some merit as an actual game. I'll probably end up consooming it at some point, hopefully they add Rose one day and not some BIPOC imitation clone of her.

edit: Sheva Alomar shows that Capcom is perfectly capable of making a good-looking black woman. SF6's black woman is painful to look at. This is for societal reasons.

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
Boring to watch, and drive impact/drive rush are horrible neutral skip mechanics you will see multiple times a round, I’m drive skippingbthis

It does get a bit samey after awhile but for a first iteration of the game I'd say it's excellent. Drive Impact is a great mechanic that's useful across all skill ranges, that's a very difficult feat to pull off. I initially thought that perhaps at high levels DI might be an unusable gimmick but that's not the case at all. There's so much you have to think about in the game.

Drive rush is very abuseable though, and I feel the game could do with less low MK -> drive rush on 90% of the cast. Maybe make it cost one pip more, I dunno. And fix the microwalk in the middle of combos allowing you to recharge a bit of bar giving you extra DRs.

Also, although I like the Drive mechanics overall, I think it shouldn't be possible to "owe" meter - if you don't have three full pips, you shouldn't be able to DR, for example. These are all simple fixes.

I've seen people - mostly scrubs like LTG - complaining about "neutral skip" but that's not really fair. There's a lot of decent footsies in SF6, a lot of stuff is reactable and whatever is in the game is miles beyond the fucking disgusting crap that was V-skills in sf5.

Oddly Snu-Snu woman doesn't bother me. At least she doesn't have pink hair
She does though

costume2-sf6-marisa05.jpg

outfit01_c05.jpg

It's hard to explain. She's the least offensive newcomer outside of Manon in my eyes.

I completely understand an apprehension towards her but I'd also play her without shame. She's essentially just a genderswapped Smash Ganondorf, or less-sexy MVC She-Hulk or Capcom's version of Shiva from Mortal Kombat as an archetype. If she had an actual roman helmet instead of her stupid helmet hair, and Kimberly and Lily didn't replace the far more desirable versions of their own archetypes I don't think her inclusion would even raise an eyebrow.

It's only because the woke shit has reached a fever pitch and in some respects this game has obviously catered to this that her inclusion becomes offensive. I find her inclusion less bothersome and pandering than this, for instance:

Zarya-portrait.webp

but at the end of the day these characters are just functions so who cares if the X-Men or Magneto are missing?

I can't tell if you're being ironic with that last statement, but that was Combofiend's line to justify MvC Inifinite's lack of stuff and it was absolutely ridiculous.

Anyway at least for me, I can only play FG characters that I think look cool. I don't really care about function or whatever.

Back on topic - another reason that I'm liking SF6 is that there are no comeback mechanics (except a little bit of super bar filling up but it's very small. It also fills up on block but you're fucked if you block too much because of the Drive gauge). This can't be stressed enough. It makes such a difference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom