Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Street Fighter IV to hit the streets soon!

Andhaira

Arcane
Am I the only one exicted about this or what? I mean, the true sequel to the grandaddy of all fighters, Street FIghter II is about to come out on 19th. Its already been out in Japan in arcade form (they STILL have arcades??) and now its going to come out for consoles. Windows version will come out by the end of 2009.

The only thing is that I don't have a new gen console nor the money to buy one. But I am hoping fellow codexians will go out and purchase this game and post all about i!

WHat was your fave character btw? Mine were always Ryu and Vega!

HADOKEN!!!!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Alex was awesome. Why isn't he in Street Fighter IV? It needs more Americans. Ken, Guile, Balrog, Crimson Viper and Rufus aren't enough.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Been looking forward to this game. Been a while since I last played a good 2d fighting game, will most likely hook up with a few friends and play the hell out of it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, my problem with it is that it's not built on the superior SF3, but SF2. And that it uses 3D graphics instead of proper 2D.

Andhaira

Arcane
Its 2d. 3d is for background environs. It looks gorgeous (i seen vids)

Dhalsim loks a bit odd though...hopefully it was not the final photo of him.

BloodyPuppy

Scholar
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Well, my problem with it is that it's not built on the superior SF3, but SF2. And that it uses 3D graphics instead of proper 2D.

How is SF3 superior? Because of parries? I like SF3, but they're two totally different games, and to be honest I enjoy SF2 more, HD remix in particular.

Vaarna_Aarne

BloodyPuppy said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

How is SF3 superior? Because of parries? I like SF3, but they're two totally different games, and to be honest I enjoy SF2 more, HD remix in particular.
The parries, better move lists, EX, the super system and better combination improvisation room.

Also, the thing is that SF4 graphics look like cheap dirt next to HD 2D, and SF2 level of gameplay is long obsolete when put next to later 2D games.

BloodyPuppy

Scholar
Vaarna_Aarne said:
BloodyPuppy said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

The parries, better move lists, EX, the super system and better combination improvisation room.

Also, the thing is that SF4 graphics look like cheap dirt next to HD 2D, and SF2 level of gameplay is long obsolete when put next to later 2D games.

I disagree, high level SF2 gameplay is still very interesting to watch even if it's less visually exciting. Not to say I don't enjoy a good SF3 match too, I just don't think that it's better.

Both suck next to Guilty Gear though. That game is like sex in disc form.

On an unrelated note, never try and fuck a CD unless you are absolutely sure you're going to fit.

Vaarna_Aarne

BloodyPuppy said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
BloodyPuppy said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

I disagree, high level SF2 gameplay is still very interesting to watch even if it's less visually exciting. Not to say I don't enjoy a good SF3 match too, I just don't think that it's better.

On an unrelated note, never try and fuck a CD unless you are absolutely sure you're going to fit.
Guilty Gear ain't got shit on KoF.

EDIT: And the whole thing is that SF2 mechanics aren't as deep and evolved as those of SF3. SF2 just doesn't have the amount of finesse as SF3.

BloodyPuppy

Scholar
Vaarna_Aarne said:
BloodyPuppy said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
BloodyPuppy said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

The only thing KoF has that even comes close to the greatness of Guilty Gear is Slayer. Oh wait, that's Guilty Gear too.

Case in point, KoF doesn't have shit on Guilty Gear.

Vaarna_Aarne

BloodyPuppy said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
BloodyPuppy said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
BloodyPuppy said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

The only thing KoF has that even comes close to the greatness of Guilty Gear is Slayer. Oh wait, that's Guilty Gear too.

Case in point, KoF doesn't have shit on Guilty Gear.
Guilty Gear has never developed gameplay quality or sheer size like that of KoF XI or '98. Or the unmatched graphics of KoF XII. Not to mention characters on par with the likes of, in example, Iori, Rugal or Shingo.

All GG ever had going for it was the higher resolution graphics. Gameplay and character-wise it's never been on the level of the old dogs of fighting games.

BloodyPuppy

Scholar
Seriously? So the fact that Guilty Gear has one of the most diverse cast of characters, both in terms of background and movesets, and yet is still amazingly well-balanced means it's on the level of old dogs? The fact that in pretty much all fighting game communities it is very highly respected for the depth of it's gameplay? The fact that they have a character that can turn literally anybody gay? ANYBODY?

Vaarna_Aarne

BloodyPuppy said:
Seriously? So the fact that Guilty Gear has one of the most diverse cast of characters, both in terms of background and movesets, and yet is still amazingly well-balanced means it's on the level of old dogs? The fact that in pretty much all fighting game communities it is very highly respected for the depth of it's gameplay? The fact that they have a character that can turn literally anybody gay? ANYBODY?
I'd argue that the matter is more about pedophile-bait than gay, since Bridget looks like a loli. And getting turned on by loli... And to counter this, I point out that SNK pioneered bouncing boobs :P

And you may wanna reconsider talking about variety in move sets when Clark Steel is involved...

The gameplay itself tends to have the flaw in revolving too much around setting up for button-mashy air combos as the most effective method of victory. And then there's the deal about most move sets being vastly different in only aesthetics and minor differences in application. Which is about the same as 99% of fighting game characters anyway. And you may want to remember that most communities would also say shit like Tekken is deeper than Guilty Gear, which is utter bullshit. It's not like that it doesn't have depth. It's that it doesn't have it like SF, KoF, Garou or MK2 have.

spectre

Arcane
Oh, so after all these 12 years the guys mustered the guts to switch the 3 in the name into 4? Neat.

Vaarna_Aarne

Also, let's get this betting on the way.

How many different re-releases of this one are they going to do?

OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Alex was awesome. Why isn't he in Street Fighter IV? It needs more Americans. Ken, Guile, Balrog, Crimson Viper and Rufus aren't enough.

Did I miss my sarcasm roll? There's a disproportionate number of yanks in the game as is. How about an aussie or two for us down here? Or a british boxer? Or a French savateur, perhaps?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Azrael the cat said:
Did I miss my sarcasm roll? There's a disproportionate number of yanks in the game as is. How about an aussie or two for us down here? Or a british boxer? Or a French savateur, perhaps?

There was a British boxer in SF3 and in this one the new MMA guy is French.

BloodyPuppy

Scholar
Vaarna_Aarne said:
BloodyPuppy said:
I'd argue that the matter is more about pedophile-bait than gay, since Bridget looks like a loli. And getting turned on by loli... And to counter this, I point out that SNK pioneered bouncing boobs :P

And you may wanna reconsider talking about variety in move sets when Clark Steel is involved...

The gameplay itself tends to have the flaw in revolving too much around setting up for button-mashy air combos as the most effective method of victory. And then there's the deal about most move sets being vastly different in only aesthetics and minor differences in application. Which is about the same as 99% of fighting game characters anyway. And you may want to remember that most communities would also say shit like Tekken is deeper than Guilty Gear, which is utter bullshit. It's not like that it doesn't have depth. It's that it doesn't have it like SF, KoF, Garou or MK2 have.

First of all everybody is gay for Bridget. Everybody.

Second of all, Guilty Gear can be played as a button masher at the lowest levels of play. Play against someone even reasonably good and you'll get your ass kicked. This is the case with any decent fighting game. And please, tell me how the majority of GG characters play similarly. Come on now, that's just bullshit. Compare Slayer, Venom, and Potemkin. Tell me that these characters play even close to the same way. They do not.

And any community that unamanimously agrees that Tekken is deeper than Guilty Gear is worthless. Regardless, I still don't understand how GG doesn't have the same level of depth as the games that you mentioned. If anything it has far more considering the large number of unique options open to each individual character, as well as the wide range of universal abilities that each character can use. Street Fighter and King of Fighters are great, but they don't even come close to Guilty Gear.

Andhaira

Arcane
Zangief was the original MMA fighter! I still haven't figured out how to do hiw spinning piledriver in Super Street Fighter II Championship Edition Turbo.

Also, anyone remember Rise of the Robots? What a terribly fucked up game of monolithic proportions! And it came on 15 disks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom