Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Struggling to deal with Sentry Bots

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I recently got into Depot A....didn't find the mutants too troublesome. Blasted them with psi from range and whack them with machete when they close the distance. I am however very annoyed with Sentry Bots. I cannot find an efficient way to kill them. I know EMP grenades will be the go-to but I never seem to have enough of them. What other options are there for bypassing the resists on mechanical enemies?

NotSweeper

Educated
Expose weakness.
Sledgehammers.
Use throwing nets, tasers and door cheese.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
you can get decent shock knife, since you are using matchetes it should be your go to choice. Easiest if you got stealing skill

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Psychokinesis school as a whole and the Temporal Distortion feat are good against robots IIRC. But I'm guessing you don't have them and you're metathermics? Then you're probably stuck with EMP until you can raise enough your crits with metathermics and bypass such resistances.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Psychokinesis school as a whole and the Temporal Distortion feat are good against robots IIRC. But I'm guessing you don't have them and you're metathermics? Then you're probably stuck with EMP until you can raise enough your crits with metathermics and bypass such resistances.
I went back to SGS and purchased Electrokinesis which is perfect against bots. Thanks!

Tygrende

Arbiter
At this stage of the game:
  • psi can deal with bots using either temporal distortion or electrokinesis. It's important to note that temporal distortion requires zero skill to learn, so you can use this even if you don't intend to commit to temporal manipulation, all you need is psi empathy. Electrokinesis requires 30 base skill to learn, so you need to be at least level 4 to learn it and commit to psychokinesis a bit.
  • melee deals with them using shock weapons. They probably have the hardest time overall out of all builds (bar self-restriction builds like metathermics only) because shock weapons are not commonly available at this point in the game, you have to either spend a fortune to buy one, be very lucky to find one, be lucky and have high enough pickpocket to steal a shock knife from one of junkyard's gangsters, or be a bit lucky and have mechanics/electronics to buy an electroshock generator and craft your own shock weapon of choice. Expose Weakness also works, but it only becomes available starting from level 6, and you're most likely not level 6 at GMS. Sledgehammers can manage without shock, so if you couldn't get a shock weapon and you have the STR for it, you can pick one up.
  • guns deal with bots through smart use of W2C ammo and getting a higher caliber weapon. Buy W2C ammo at any opportunity. Typically you can deal somewhat decent damage to them even with regular ammo, so it's best saved for use with Aimed shot if you have it. ARs, LMGs and sniper rifles have enough base damage to manage without W2C. Pistols, you really want to have 9mm/.44 at this point. SMG, 7.62/8.6 would be preferable, but 5mm can manage with a bunch of W2C. Shotguns, use 6p shells, 3p if you have them.
  • crossbows deal with bots using shock bolts. Crafting them with electronics is near mandatory, they can be bought, but in small quantities.
  • energy weapons don't struggle at all, their damage is completly unresisted by bots.
  • chemical weapons are not something you're likely to have at this point, but if you did manage to craft one, acid is mostly unresisted by all bots.
  • If all fails, you're left with the stealth approach - use vents, noise and being spotted by cameras to manipulate sentry bots into moving somewhere else

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom