Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones, a Lovecraftian turn-based RPG, now on Kickstarter

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
These kickstarter videos are getting so lame.
Please support our visions give us the money like the 1,000 guys before us that had no idea what they were doing.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Of course it's not for everyone but keep in mind they don't really have to target the average Codexer, who've already been convinced by the mechanics and aesthetic of the game, the video is more to grab attention from a wider audience.

the video is more to grab attention from a wider audience.

a wider audience.

5CvgAbv.jpg

m_s0

Arcane
Ok, since no one else is willing to go this low:

Lh7UIJ1.png

Nice to know, but what about skills more related to crpg design?
Neglecting the morale of your team is a noob mistake. This man clearly knows what he's doing.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It does look interesting. It's also a take on Lovecraft that I've always wanted but never expected to get -- turn-based, party management, isometric-ish (rather *not* over the shoulder). I'm sort of taken aback by the premise of Arkham having been sucked into other worlds (feels too over the top for a proper Mythos story), but the impetus seems to be creating a Sigil-like situation with a bunch of humans stranded at an interdimensional crossroads with a bunch of weird "aliens." The use of lore and sanity checks in dialogues during the gameplay demo sort of affirms this. Using Lovecraft to recreate Planescape isn't the worst idea I've ever heard.

Environmental art is a little polarizing but not entirely inappropriate. I think it will grow on people.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Erich Zaan didn't play a violin, he played a viol, which is more akin to a cello. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.

Seriously...looks good.

ColCol

Arcane
I like the art but not the map design. It looks like a random mishmash of different things. Make me think of some strategy game maps, like Age of Wonders. I also can't shake the feeling that the game will be very Jrpg like (linear, combat focused). I need to see a little but more before backing/

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Regarding the art direction, it's more than a little bit "indie-y" (particularly when coupled with their current animations), and it's fairly obvious why some people might not like it.

Yet the character portraits in the video suggest to me that the artist is highly skilled. People are the hardest subjects to draw, harder even than animals; we ARE people, after all, so we're cued in to the most minute details of a person's posture, facial structure, proportions, et cetera.

The portraits in the video are far above DeviantART-tier (though an elite few DeviantART users are consummate experts), and frankly are a lot better than PoE's portraits, for example.

The art style and direction are appealing to me (perhaps not my ideal choice, but certainly not unappealing). So, in terms of art and atmosphere thereof, I like what I see.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the angst system looks cool.

reminds me in mask of the betrayer if you decide to be gluttony ass and eats everything or other similar mechanics. you got neat, powerful perks or skills on cost of becoming less and less human or sane

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There may be a certain kind of genius at work in deciding that the world has already been destroyed by the Old Ones. Usually one of the flaws in Lovecraft fiction is that the doom of humanity is constantly hovering overhead but never quite arrives, like a fall season that never quite becomes winter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom