Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Summoner

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
Anyone ever played this game? What is general opinion on it? I remember back when it came out I actually liked the combat in it which is basically the same as what is in NWN, yet it seemed more fun. I dont remember much of the story but it seemed good at thae time. NWN definetelly wasnt able to pull me in like Summoner did.
What about summoner 2, is it consolo popamole or worth a torrent?

flabbyjack

Arcane
Fantastic. Play it. Wish they had Summoner 2 on the PC but they don't. :love:

Multiple endings, plenty of summonable creatures that you can choose from to cater to your playstyle. Haven't replayed it so I can't say how it has aged...

PS - got lost in the city on my first play-through. Very minor spoiler ->
make sure you talk to everyone at the entrance to the city

Andhaira

Arcane
Its a good game. Summoner 2 was also good, but 1 was better. play it, its aged well and is worth it.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played it for a few hours. Finished starting area on the way to the first city, and was attacked and raped to the death by some frogs. Reached it on the second try and got lost in a fuckload of streets and alleys. It was realy nice, gotta go back at some time.

ecliptic

Liturgist
It had a unique feeling to it and some very interesting architecture (I liked the humongous skeleton dungeon inside of the bigger cave) but what ultimately made me not beat it was the enemies respawning whenver you left a region and returned.

I came much closer to beating Summoner 2.

The thing I remember most clearly from Summoner is this.

It was an interesting game, but when I started playing it, I was already spoiled by good automaps. So when I got to that huge city, I was quickly and frequently lost. In addition to that, game had quite challenging combat, so it soon gotten too frustrating to continue. Never finished it, but game wasn't bad.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Summoner 1 is decent and I think ther's a pretty good fanpatch for it, don't remember what happened to it though. Both summoner games were buggy as fuck though but at least the first one got a PC release.

Summoner 2 I think feels much more superior and they definitely stepped the art up, ive remembered the levels all my life now. However it suffers from even worse bugs than Summoner 1 console release, and I got stuck fighting clay nero for awhile. Which sucks because he was my best character. Oh if you go into shapeshift mode in summoner 2 while you have skillpoints you can put points into your summon's shit, i have no idea if that was intentional or not. kind of useless honestly.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
It's good for what it is. I certainly had a lot of fun with it when I was 14 years old. I haven't played it since, but I remember the combat scheme immediately putting off my friend. I also seem to remember it not being entirely linear. It was certainly a bit of a challenge, but I felt that it was in a mostly good way. Certainly not a lot of window dressing, but it's enough for a good time.

desocupado

Magister
I remember having a good time with Summoner 2. Tried the first one, and was put off by inferior combat, and uglier graphics.

ortucis

Prophet
mugarod said:
Anyone ever played this game? What is general opinion on it? I remember back when it came out I actually liked the combat in it which is basically the same as what is in NWN, yet it seemed more fun. I dont remember much of the story but it seemed good at thae time. NWN definetelly wasnt able to pull me in like Summoner did.
What about summoner 2, is it consolo popamole or worth a torrent?

I haven't finished it yet (was busy playing Arcanum and NWN2: MOTB) but I intend to go back to Summoner one day or another. It is pretty good. Story is interesting and so are the NPC's you encounter . The side quests you get feel like they are tied to the main quest.. or at least contain lore related to main quest.

What I didn't like was the actual summoning part. Feels pretty lame considering you are supposed to be someone who summoned a creature that wiped out a village. But then again, I didn't play (lvl-up) that far so I am sure the future summons get interesting.

As far as world is concerned, the levels are surprisingly huge and if you explore every corner/valley you might just end up finding some character with small side-quest (like solving thefts and all).

But with huge world, be prepared to roam around and get lost constantly thanks to almost every location in every map looking the same or weird level design. For example, in the first village map you start in, you run into obstacles whenever you try to explore using the paths which look explorable, giving you the impression that the map is linear and you just have to follow the road from A-B, but it isn't true. You move around and find odd paths (through areas which don't even look properly designed) here and there which lead you to more areas of the map (crap game camera btw) with more loot and NPC's to talk to.

Anyways, still a good game from what I have played so far. Must play.

Lightknight

Liturgist
What i remember from Summoner the most, was its undisputed uglyness. My GOD that character portrait in the status screen was nightmare inducing ! I KNOW PS2 could do better than that, and i KNOW Volition could do better than that, so why the hell didnt they ?

epikitscheesy

Liturgist
This one will always have a place in my heart!

Story is interesting and so are the NPC's you encounter . The side quests you get feel like they are tied to the main quest.. or at least contain lore related to main quest.
Exactly. It's the same with your party members. Each one of them is encountered along the main string of the story and feels important to the development of the lead protagonist and the story. They really grew on me.
You don't randomly pick them up in any tavern! So that might be the reason why it is one of the rare, rare party-based rpgs I enjoyed. I also quite liked the semi-tactical combat system and unique skill ranges of each charakter.
The whole thing has great, consistent yet diverse style, the soundtrack drugged me with its vibes,...gotta play this again.

Tel Prydain

Augur
I liked it... if anyone cares what the newfag thinks.

Kinda odd game, though. Like a jRPG and wRPG had a baby. Which was kinda cute but threw up every now and then. And didn't really have jRPG's eyes, and so jRPG asked wRPG if she'd been fucking the milkman, but wRPG wouldn't answer. But in her heart she loved aRPG who brought the milk each day, and knew that one day he'd leave his wife and take her away to live in a castle...
This analogy has gone off track.

getter77

Augur
I need to try the original one of these days...only spent a bit of time with the semi-sequel one that I think only came out on the Gamecube. That one screams for some local co-op if you've a local chum to take all the way as the AI was ok but lacked finesse.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Yes..i want to meet this..Summoner..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom