Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Supreme Commander is a good game?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I bought SupCom and have it somewhere, but since I won't play online I'll just remove FA and try that out against those custom AIs. I got bored with vanilla because it seemed mostly to be a Sim City game.

Cybranator

Novice
I prefer the vanilla version to FA because it doesn't force you into one strategy: Expand out as quickly as possible or get your butt kicked. A good RTS allows for various strategies, whether it's turtling, rushing, developing resources, expanding territories, etc., it should encorporate all. FA introduced a totally new game play and should have just been released as a different game, not an expansion. FA games typically last 10-15 minutes, just too short for a real experience. I like 1-2 hour games.

Yes, there is a vast difference in unit strengths, which is a good thing. I was always turned off by the RTS that allowed silly things like some guy on a horse destroying a tank. Though there is much difference in the power of units, SupCom allows a hoard of smaller units to take down a single larger one, often at a much lower resource cost. I have taken out Commanders with light assault bots, you just need a bunch of them.

I think SupCom is far different (and better) than most RTS games, and I have played nearly all of them, even since Herzog Zwei on the Sega Genesis or the original Empire (turn-based).

Cybranator

Novice
Not sure why people have a problem with a game having an economic side; This is how RTS has always been. I find the one's that try to eliminate this aspect get boring really quickly. Face it, it's a strategy and tactics game. As with commanding a real military, economics are a large part of it. After all, the term often used is "Armchair General", not "Armchair Sergeant".

Dmitron

Arbiter
All I can recall of Supcom is endlessly building power generators.

Cybranator

Novice
Stereotypical Villain said:
Yeah, cause building mass extractors and power generators (that never run out of juice ever) = advanced economy. :?

Yes, but isn't as simple as just building a lot of Mex and Gens. It has to be balanced with unit production so as not to stall. I find it more difficult keeping mass up. In most RTS, economy is simply a matter of citizens gathering wood, gold, food, etc. which is usually spent just one time for new units with no worry about their upkeep.

Cybranator said:
I prefer the vanilla version to FA because it doesn't force you into one strategy: Expand out as quickly as possible or get your butt kicked. A good RTS allows for various strategies, whether it's turtling, rushing, developing resources, expanding territories, etc., it should encorporate all. FA introduced a totally new game play and should have just been released as a different game, not an expansion. FA games typically last 10-15 minutes, just too short for a real experience. I like 1-2 hour games.

Really? I won't buy FA then, why would I want SupCom to be like every other RTS game?

Ryuken

Liturgist
The map control focus of FA is much easier to bear on bigger maps and with more players, once you get to T3 you can start farming those bigger mass fabricators+bigger power gens.

Game still needs a patch to remove T3 air dominance though.

Problem with SupCom was that once you advanced a tier, everything on the previous tier was fucking useless. Tier 1 anti-air cannons couldn't even SCRATCH tier 2 aircraft.

In TA lower tirer units were weaker sure, but they never were outright useless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom