Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Swen Vincke's Epic Uncensored Interview

DraQ

Arcane
Even if didn't like Div2 for a h&s it was, I would still salute Swen for being sober, having balls and generally being a bro.
:salute:
2EeCv.gif

Saxon1974

Prophet
So, another european developer who thinks Americans are retards. :incline:

That's not exactly what I read in that. What I think he means is the American developers have a target audience in mind; take that how you will, but to me it means the console market. As an American I dont like the direction of our RPG's either but I can see how it got there. Companies like Bethesda used to make games for the PC until they realized they could sell 10 million plus copies making action RPG's for consoles. From a business perspective I get it but I dont like it. In the 80's and even into the 90's you still had developers here making games out of a labor of love because its what they wanted to make but the console money just got too big and all the AAA dev's have now gone that way. Thank god for Indy's. I dont really dissagree with his comment about American developers having more resources, thats probably true.

America is in a bit of a sad state though, we have a generation that has been raised being told they are "special" and deserve good things without working for it. This generation is now the group I think the games are targeted at now and they want things to always be easy and simple but look pretty to feed their ADD. I worry about the future to be honest, I sure hope something changes.

Divinity 2 felt very consolish to me though, so much so I didnt like it much. Loved Divine Divinity 1 though.

Sven's comments about making a game his girlfriend likes in regards to Original Sin gives me a little concern though. That has to be :decline:

mondblut

Arcane
CDPR does have polish indeed :D

I used to pitch at Sony at Liverpool, and there they told me that if it wasn’t modern day reality or imaginable reality, I shouldn’t even come.

:lol: The formula of decline once again proves to be "take the opinions of Fallout fangirls, process through a big corporation".

Indranys

Savant
America is in a bit of a sad state though, we have a generation that has been raised being told they are "special" and deserve good things without working for it. This generation is now the group I think the games are targeted at now and they want things to always be easy and simple but look pretty to feed their ADD. I worry about the future to be honest, I sure hope something changes.

Your insight is interesting Sir.
I think the whole world is infected by the Bieber generation/whatever they're called, not just in USA.
I can reassure you 8 of 10 young people (20+ years old) in my country are enjoying Bieber, Limb Bizkit, and dress like Jersey Shore casts in their spare times.
To be fair I live in tourism/tropical coast area, but it's pretty much similar in another cities I've visited.

Still it looks grim indeed. Last time my mates bought PS Vita just to play Monster Hunter or another shitty games.
I don't even :retarded:.
They're nice folks but unfortunately can't grasp the beauty of Fallout 1, Arcanum, and others.
I still remember how they mocked me just because I played DOS games (RoA, Dark Sun, etc.) while they played japanese visual novels full of loser kids with mental problems, ridiculous sex scenes, and shits.
And of course they LOVE Bioware games and Skyrim.
This world is sick indeed.
All I need is Darklands 2 or Dark Sun 3 and I won't give a shit about their :decline: anymore.

Long story short, I hate my generation and their crappy taste about everything. :oops:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Swen is such a bro. :salute:
I'm very excited about Original Sin - haven't followed Dragon Commander much, but I'm going to look into it a bit more now.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Sven's comments about making a game his girlfriend likes in regards to Original Sin gives me a little concern though. That has to be :decline:

It can be worse. Tim Schaefer's daughter (<7 years) has chosen the look of the main characters for the next DoubleFine vaporware adventure game.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The guy has always been pretty frank in interviews. Since he got rid of outside interference he simply notched it up a bit. Always was great to read his ramblings in Dutch language mags and websites, good to see he's doing so good that the anglos are starting to pay attention as well.

Me: Do you think more developers should leave their publishers?

Swen: I think they all should do it.

:salute:

pistletoe

Educated
I like Sven, the man has balls. Disagree about his stance on Witcher though.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Kickstart Original Sins already !

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom