Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Syndicate" FPS footage - Shit even for a shooter!

sah

Liturgist
Looks so meh. If you really want to turn Syndicate into an FPS there's loads of cool stuff you could tinker with. This doesn't look half as good as it could be.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
malko_sundervere said:
baronjohn said:
I don't know what you people are whining about. Neither console nor PC shitters were ever a great genre
Doom_map_e1m6.png
b4vyn6.png
39356-strife-dos-screenshot-the-map-screen-some-of-these-levels-are.gif

Of course not. They've always been linear corridor shooters with health regen and two weapons.

Well essentially it was 'linear' in that you'd come to a door, then had to get the red key to open it, before reaching another door and needing the yellow key to open it, etc. You'd have to do things in a certain order to be able to progress so the games were linear. Being able to explore a few secrets and clear out a few rooms in a different order in between doors does not change the inherent linearity of a game. After all, by this reasoning you could say that COD:MW is non-linear as you can go through open areas in slightly different ways or look in different rooms in buildings.

MetalCraze

Arcane
commie said:
After all, by this reasoning you could say that COD:MW is non-linear as you can go through open areas in slightly different ways or look in different rooms in buildings.

Like Crysis 2 you mean?

I.C. Wiener

Educated
commie said:
Well essentially it was 'linear' in that you'd come to a door, then had to get the red key to open it, before reaching another door and needing the yellow key to open it, etc. You'd have to do things in a certain order to be able to progress so the games were linear. Being able to explore a few secrets and clear out a few rooms in a different order in between doors does not change the inherent linearity of a game. After all, by this reasoning you could say that COD:MW is non-linear as you can go through open areas in slightly different ways or look in different rooms in buildings.
Every game is essentially linear, that's how causation works. There is a big difference between a labyrinthine map like classic doom where full of hidden nooks where you have to find a key, and literally a fucking corridor sprinkled with setpieces and dudes crouching behind waist high concrete barriers and potted plants - i.e. geographical, not sequential linearity. In the former you actually have to hunt for the key, and possibly get lost in the process. Try to have that happen in HL2/CoD/whatever shiny new novelty shooter of the day.

This is just another form of 'dumbing down' (that is a quick patch for a perceived problem that isn't really a problem, in this case players getting lost/bored with hunting for the exit) where the solution has bigger holes than the initial problem itself.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Yet another half baked FPS.

It doesn't move. It's very slow until you get the power up.

It has crap all over the screen, yes, we know enemies drop ammo and weapons, are those readable on a TV screen? Would you read it more than once? Do you need an arrow there?

The level designer learned how to make cubes, because the programmers told him to make it look like an office building and we don't want to slow down the frame rate, do we?

You can watch cutscenes while looking around. Where does playing the game begin and where does it end? Oh, I just dragged a man out of the next cubicle while making him kill someone, did I press a button for that or was I forced to go through that tedious piece of exposition?

What else? I don't know, everything is highlighted. I can see enemies through walls. Just like a wall hack but this is a feature in a single player game. How challenging.

Is there regenerating health? I could watch it again but I doubt you're ever worried about dieing.

I'm not sure why gamers these days think that slowly meandering through a game with horrible CG and barely any interaction, acting or story is somehow better than watching a movie like Commando from the eighties. There are a tonne of movies better than shit like this and more entertaining.

I won't bother with mentioning the Title of this, this, insult to FPS's.

I also don't understand why it's so difficult to make a straight-up, solid, fun, tense shooter anymore. Kill the RPG elements if you don't know how to make an RPG. Just make a fucking shooter that makes you sweat. They don't do that anymore. They should call them PFS's for pussy faggot shooters.

DraQ

Arcane
A bit of an incline of YT - notice how the video got about 50% of dislikes and the comments consist mostly of bitching.

I.C. Wiener said:
Every game is essentially linear, that's how causation works.
Lolno. If two people can play through a game experiencing completely different sequence of events, then it's obvious that the game isn't linear, because it cannot be described adequately as a single linear sequence.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ah, now Syndicate can be the First Person Shitter that Bullfrog always wanted it to be. The old one was only forced to be a squad-based tactics game with an entirely different setting because of the limited graphics hardware of the time. I can't wait for the new Theme Park FPS set in the Wild West. I hope civilian casualties on your rides are a non-issue.

BTW, anyone else notice the producer is Jeff GAYman?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom