Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Synergy - city builder inspired by Moebius' art.

Strig

Learned

Recently announced city builder. It looks like it was mechanically inspired by games from the vast Caesar family tree. To be honest, not much is known about it at this point, it looks rather simple and "streamlined" but I hope that won't be the case. I'm starting the thread mostly because I luv me sum Moebius and luv me sum ligne claire, simple as. The company behind the project, Leikr Studio, already has a pretty impressive — at least visually — project in their portfolio, Metal Slug Tacticts. They had some big shoes to fill on that one and I think they did pretty well.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I don't know about the Dr. Suess-looking art, but I added it to my wishlist. Who knows? Maybe it won't be shit.

Strig

Learned
Damn, this really looks promising (or they pushed just the right buttons for me). They lean into Moebius' aesthetic really hard and the worldbuilding seems familiar enough. I really hope it's going to be as enjoyable and technically sound as it is pretty. Otherwise I'm shilling for naught.

Buildings plans & Environment unfolds

Hello everyone, Leikir Studio on air! Today we wanted to share our recent progress towards Synergy development, with a detailed focus on buildings. Synergy is a city-builder, so it just made sense to talk about this major part of the game. As always, we didn’t miss the opportunity to talk a bit more about the environment as well!

1. It's all about the plan
Forge workshop and Foundry
Here, you can see the forge workshop and the foundry. The forge workshop is used to create tools whereas the foundry can be used to make new construction materials.

6e994e722f16d61b33cc637e98f1c065e76fe572.jpg

We are currently working on a system where buildings can buff each other by strategically placing them close enough.
Both buildings you see here are used to test this specific mechanic.

f3c4053032e0afc80d3e2ab49793fe9de00a8437.jpg

Pontoon
Let us introduce the Pontoon! A very useful structure to pump toxic water from lakes and ponds. For now, it serves two purposes: extracting a large quantity of toxic water that will be stored, or pumping less water while being able to begin its purification at the same time. This process will then offer proper drinkable water for all citizens.

6a6a2505f1e2c56063a34975e0f1f3b017d149c7.jpg

Wise Hall
With the Wise Hall (and also later the Research Lab), we’re settling the upcoming Research and Dogma Trees features. These are key buildings since the player will be able to choose their path and open new possibilities whether it is through the Wise Hall (Dogmas) or the Research Lab (Technologies).

94eda4278bfe04812eb7f3f164537f64c1c0b3fa.jpg

Arranged Cave
Latest building to join the party: The Arranged Cave! In order to create this new member of our collection, we needed a relevant environment prop where the building will specifically land. Once the player has found a cave in the rocky biome, they can begin the construction of the Arranged Cave. Perfect to gather specific resources.

7ae5327c420c8abf9e92a89f39584711e4fdba7c.jpg

Infirmary
Survival is a core feature of Synergy, so we recently developed a health system mechanic: citizens can suffer from many different ailments such as malnutrition, dehydration, injuries…etc. In response, the Infirmary has been created to take care of everyone.

5014d47618448903e1c0a3b30e40ba5c6ca64e69.jpg

2. Environment & biome system
Synergy is filled with many biome types, each with their own characteristics. When we decided to bring more life to the environment with new props, we planned every biomes with the following process:

Each tile on the map has specific soil properties: heat, humidity rate, organic matter rate and finally minerals rate. Depending on the biome, you will find more or less resources of each type.

What we call, for now, the “Rocky biome” is a windy biome covered with immense rock formations. There, the ground offers key minerals for specific plant growth.

7aaeca2c535704e41335084471565578751941f9.png

The Mossy biome is obviously a land where plants and moss reign, but don’t get fooled by its appealing look as the toxicity level will rise! Right under the moss carpet lies precious organic matter for your crops.

3d9036aa4bb5a03a3932ebfcdefdf7d8b09a83e5.png

In the most common biome of the game, the arid one, the heat is almost unbearable. But the sand always hides some secrets yet to be discovered…

f4b3192477e9ac5eae422e56d033dabd60e7e764.png

Lakes’ toxic water doesn't necessarily prevent plants from growing around, some even love the humid atmosphere they offer.

6db7b520007ac72b80ff1baa7530a915b4ae2776.png

And it's a wrap! It was a lot of visuals update for us as well, but we thought it was necessary to clearly show where we are in Synergy's development. It's still very early but we hope we can deliver more about other features before the end of the year.

Thanks a lot, have a good one!
Leikir Studio team

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom