Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tablet gaming RPGs and Strategy

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
I love my tablet but have never really used it for gaming (mainly Comic books, reading ebooks and web browsing) and all the tablet games I have ever tried have been pretty gay.

Recently I got a new Tablet with some actual processing power and competent GPU and I installed the PSP emulator and... Its pretty awesome. The only drawback is that it really wasnt designed for a tablet and thus the controls are shit without a controller. Even with my preferred genre of turn based RPGs it felt like I should be clicking the screen to move rather than using a the "controller".

-The problem is..Most of the games actually made for the tablet (and not emulated) seem like shit. The processing power is more than adequate for complex turn based and strategy games, the graphics are more than adequate (I also tried 'A wolf among us' and it played and looked as good as the PC) the Ram is sufficient with 2 GB being about standard now and playing in bed using the touch screen on a cold winters night is perfect for a good , deep, RPG... Way better than hunching over a laptop or sitting at a desk.

So imho this is the future of the gaming (I hate to admit this since I resisted ...) with RPGs, 4x and Strategy games. The Tablet is just...Better to play these games on. But I cannot really find anything decent to play.

Anyone have any suggestions? The only things ive found that are decent are the telltale games which ive played everything but the Wolf among us, Hearthstone (which isnt really decent but is a good time waster) Monopoly (...I know.) and emulated games. As you can see, I am lacking any worthwhile RPGs which is kind of what I am wanting to play.

Hopefully there are some-

EDIT- Ive looked at the RPgs in the Play Store and the problem is that a bunch of garbage, "free" to play games, and anime bullshit keeps clogging my screen and having to wade through all of that is insane. Also the Android game review websites ive found are worse than modern PC game review sites. Everything is "Awesome" and the "review" is usually a few paragraphs at best of shit I already can see from the screnshot.

I need a Codex Approved list.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's not the future of gaming because most games made for mobile are casual shit. Or well, if the future is casual shit then you are right.

No RPG recommendation from me.

However there are some good/decent board games which have versions for mobiles and I prefer to play those when I have time to kill rather than another retarded physics or match-3 puzzle game.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Tales of Illyria, Knights of Pen & Paper and anything made with the Iceblink Engine (Lanterna, Raventhal, etc). Also, they just released Knights of the Old Republic. Everything else is shit.

Buy a DOSBox emulator with good mouse controls and play the Gold Box games with the default party.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Sweet-Thanks for the recommendations.

Knights of the old republic, huh? That gives me some hope they will start re-releasing some great RPGs with tablet controls. Man, what I would give to play fallout using the touchscreen. =D

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Some of the Infinity Engine games have been rereleased (Balder's Gate) for tablets. You might look into that. There's also Shadowrun Returns.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
It's not the future of gaming because most games made for mobile are casual shit. Or well, if the future is casual shit then you are right.

No RPG recommendation from me.

However there are some good/decent board games which have versions for mobiles and I prefer to play those when I have time to kill rather than another retarded physics or match-3 puzzle game.
I think your mistaken. Right now its mostly casual shit but I dont think that will hold true for long. The reason has been that these were basiclly made for phones and the processing power was horrid. Now Tablets with quad cores and 2 GB of ram are mid ranged and they are selling like mad. The games are going to grow and turn based RPGs are going to be one of the staples(similar to the Nintedo DS in that regard) because the touchscreen controls and portability are perfect for that genre.

I think in the next few years we're going to see a massive resurgence in hardcore dungeon crawlers and complex RPGs on the tablet.

Time will tell but I think this is the future...

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
LOL-But i'm not trolling.

When my $200 Tablet is more powerful than my 4 year old laptop (and far more comfortable to use in bed or on the couch...) and has features like wireless HDMI to my television why would I not recognize the potential here for some great gaming.

And the touchscreen allows for as complex of controls as needed for turn based games(not necessarily action games) - I would lovetoplay Civ 4 on my Tablet and see no reason why I wont be able to one day. With the easy distribution and cheaper production I see this being used for top quality turn based RPGs...

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
get emulators like ppssspp and play growlanser IV, gungnir, jeanne d'arc, disgaea, phantom brave, valkyria chronicles 3, devil survivor etc.

Generally speaking emulating handhelds is good for TB games because of the reasons you mention, their format and flimsiness discourages click twitch games, not that that stopped the studios trying.

:terrorist:

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
all the tablet games I have ever tried have been pretty gay.

But I cannot really find anything decent to play.

Ive looked at the RPgs in the Play Store and the problem is that a bunch of garbage, "free" to play games, and anime bullshit

So imho this is the future of the gaming (I hate to admit this since I resisted ...) with RPGs, 4x and Strategy games.

There's your "future of the gaming" on tablets. There isn't a single new ip on tablets worth a damn, just remakes and ports that are simple enough to run on one.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
There's your "future of the gaming" on tablets. There isn't a single new ip on tablets worth a damn, just remakes and ports that are simple enough to run on one.
...Well I suppose since whats here now is the representation of whats going to be forever, you must be correct.

All I know is that my Tablet can run every new Indie game released last year (has the specs anyhow) with the exception of hard drive space and controls HAD they been made for a tablet. Nothing simplistic about the controls in a turn based game on a tablet as it can easily be just as complex if its made to utilize the touch screen. I can think of easy ways to have put Might and magic 10 , Dead State, AOD or really, any indie RPG (turn based) and have it be as good or superior in controls to a PC.

Thing is, Tablets are outselling computers and getting quite powerful. the reason there are not many complex games is that Tablets were expensive as hell last year for anything with decent specs. Now (as in today) a developer is looking at specs akin to a 4 year old computer on a medium that is out selling PCs like crazy . Right now there is a large enough user base to start making more high end games but by next year Tablets (or high powered phones) will be literally everywhere.

Why would the games not be able to have complexity ? I understand with action games and twitch games but turn based is essentiually done via the mouse anyhow for the most part and any movement of pieces or selecting of choices would be done with the touch screen just as easy .

Developers would be stupid not to start making games for the tablets and to make a good game it almost has to be turn based- Thus , this could be the platform where most of the more hardcore turn based games end up at. Not NOW but in the future. You keep talking about whats available today as opposed to what will be available tomorrow now that the power and userbase has grown enough to start supporting more high end agmes and less junk.

If not its a missed opportunity imho.

I have a gaming computer for anything graphic intensive and I find most of what I play isnt graphically intensive at all and could be played on the tablet easily (if it were made that way) and I would enjoy playing those types of games more while relaxing in front of the fireplace or chilling on the couch- Just makes sense to me...

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
...Well I suppose since whats here now is the representation of whats going to be forever, you must be correct.

All I know is that my Tablet can run every new Indie game released last year (has the specs anyhow) with the exception of hard drive space and controls HAD they been made for a tablet. Nothing simplistic about the controls in a turn based game on a tablet as it can easily be just as complex if its made to utilize the touch screen. I can think of easy ways to have put Might and magic 10 , Dead State, AOD or really, any indie RPG (turn based) and have it be as good or superior in controls to a PC.

The thing is, I can already do all this with my tablet; because I'm using a Windows 8.1 tablet. I can run a ton of games off Steam without issues, including things like Banner Saga and Shadowrun Returns, with just the touchscreen. I can load up DOSBox and play the Gold-Box games just by using my fingers as the mouse (though I prefer to use my attachable keyboard). The future might be tablets, but I don't think it will necessarily be Android.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Conquest of Elysium 3 and King of the Dragon Pass are there too.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
The thing is, I can already do all this with my tablet; because I'm using a Windows 8.1 tablet. I can run a ton of games off Steam without issues, including things like Banner Saga and Shadowrun Returns, with just the touchscreen. I can load up DOSBox and play the Gold-Box games just by using my fingers as the mouse (though I prefer to use my attachable keyboard). The future might be tablets, but I don't think it will necessarily be Android.
..Thats interesting.

I know very little about Tablets but does that mean you pretty much can run anything Win 8 runs as long as you have the specs? If so, thats awesome and I will probably look into Windows Tablets. I didnt really buy mine to game on but to replace a an older tablet I have mostly for comic/ebook reading and occasionally watching movies on. If gaming would have been something I even considered I probably would have ended up getting something like that and something with the best specs as I could get.

I can still use all the emulators but I end up getting lost in the games and trying to touch the damn screen to do things anyhow.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
..Thats interesting.

I know very little about Tablets but does that mean you pretty much can run anything Win 8 runs as long as you have the specs? If so, thats awesome and I will probably look into Windows Tablets. I didnt really buy mine to game on but to replace a an older tablet I have mostly for comic/ebook reading and occasionally watching movies on. If gaming would have been something I even considered I probably would have ended up getting something like that and something with the best specs as I could get.

I can still use all the emulators but I end up getting lost in the games and trying to touch the damn screen to do things anyhow.

I have the ASUS T100, which is a hybrid 10.1" tablet/laptop (it has a keyboard with a touchpad the can be removed with a click of a button). It runs a full version of Windows 8.1, so yes, it will run most anything, so long as the required specs aren't more than what the game requires. To be honest, if I'm going to play a game with heavy specs, I'll be on my desktop anyway.

You want to make sure you get one that runs a full version of Windows 8.1, not one that is running Windows RT (which does not run standard Windows programs).

You can even use a program called DuOS (which costs $9.99) that will give you the ability to run Android programs in a virtual machine and essentially turn your Windows tablet into an Android tablet when you need it to be. If you want to talk more about it, feel free to drop me a private message.

Siveon

Bot
The Shadow Sun? It's pretty much just a shorter, simpler, version of Dragon Age: Origins. It's only a buck on the play store. Not saying it's good, mind, only tried it for like an hour and got bored.

Bah

Arcane
Civlization 5 works very well on tablets with a touch interface. A few issues with some of the UI elements being hard to select accurately with a touch interface, but overall its a decent experience. I actually would like to see more turn-based games keep touch interfaces in mind (without sacrificing any PC mouse/keyboard usability of course).

grudgebringer

If you're looking for strategy try to find Z from Bitmap Bros. Plays good on a touch screen.

Mustawd

Here some strategy/tactics/RPG tablet games I'm aware of:

Alien v Humans (XCOM clone)

http://www.pockettactics.com/features/previews/aliens-vs-humans-x-com-reborn-on-your-ipad/

Star Traders RPG Elite (Deep 4X with great manual)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star-traders-rpg/id528949262?mt=8

Heroes of Steel (Turn Based RPG with top view perspective )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX8q2Tzr-dg

Tactics Maiden

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/TacticsMaiden/review.asp?c=61654

Oubllete - Old School blobber

http://www.zimlab.com/oubliette/ipad/files.htm

Undercroft - another Blobber

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/undercroft/id388644935?mt=8

Plus, this website at least has a decent listing although a lot of it is crap:

http://www.rpg-site.com

eremita

Savant
Some of the Infinity Engine games have been rereleased (Balder's Gate) for tablets. You might look into that. There's also Shadowrun Returns.
There's also Dragonfall already. Although I read it's quite buggy. BTW, can anyone confirm that?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Speaking of, I'd like to have some good games for when I'm stuck on the train/plane and my laptop is in tablet mode. (Got me one of them fancy ones where the screen flips 360 degrees to turn it into a tablet). It's a regular laptop. I'm looking for some games that can be played entirely with the LMB, since that's what a stylus tap counts as. Bonus points if they can be played in short (30-60 min) bursts. ATM I'm playing puzzle quest 1/2/Galactrix which works decently. I wanted to play Invisible Inc, but you need RMB to give move orders. :<

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I have to recomend agaisnt buying KotOR 1 on Android, i bought it to play on my Nexus 7 and despite looking and runnig quite good on the system, the controls are horrible and make the experience unbarable.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of, I'd like to have some good games for when I'm stuck on the train/plane and my laptop is in tablet mode. (Got me one of them fancy ones where the screen flips 360 degrees to turn it into a tablet). It's a regular laptop. I'm looking for some games that can be played entirely with the LMB, since that's what a stylus tap counts as. Bonus points if they can be played in short (30-60 min) bursts. ATM I'm playing puzzle quest 1/2/Galactrix which works decently. I wanted to play Invisible Inc, but you need RMB to give move orders. :<
I have one of these of my own. And although I personally don't like the game too much, Hearthstone works wonderful on win 8 tablets. Anyways, so far its the only one i've played on this machine that worked really well with touch input. I also can play Civ 4 to some extend, but I still prefer genociding around with keyboard and mouse if enough space is available. Actually, many games that originally were designed for tablets seem to actually work shitty on win 8. FTL, for example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom