Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tabletop Miniature Wargaming

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I'm not impressed with them. From what I remember, their models have better proportions than GW ones, but I don't like the designs.
I actually prefer them to GW stuff most of the time. The steampunk-animeish look is nice, and most of the models have much more action put into the poses. And of course, the Warjacks beat dreadnaughts of all kinds to Sunday and back.

waywardOne

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Has anyone here ever tried to sculpt miniatures?

I used to do cutomizations for special characters like chain mail, mohawks, extra bits on weapons, or a pet. That "green stuff" GW sells is very handy. Full figures exceeded my patience and ambition.

TheWesDude

Arcane
Patron
when i was in WA and i played some wh40k, there was a guy who was getting pretty bored of the game.

so what he did is start charging to paint everyones miniatures.

ended up making decent money at it. like 300-400$ a month but not sure as i havent been there in over a decade.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I wanted to sculpt miniatures since I was a kid. I didn't know how they were made, so I was trying to sculpt them with polymer clay, it didn't give enough details so I would try to create a rough shape and sculpt the hardened material with a knife. I still have some scars on my fingers.

When I got the internets in 2003, I finally was able to learn how to do it. I bough Green Stuff and started sculpting.
I tried following the right proportions and wanted to have a heavily converted Chaos army with many custom characters.
Then I bought a box of Chaos Warriors and saw how crappy they were and started noticing the blockiness and caricatural proportions of the GW miniatures and gave up.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Interestingly enough, it seems like the competitive 40k players rather like Matt Ward's 5th edition army codexes (ignoring fluff, of course).

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Has anyone here ever tried to sculpt miniatures?

Nay, but full sized sculptures, yes (gypsum). Working with anything smaller than my fist is too much, painting by itself is nerve wrecking enough.

Flanged

Scholar
Ed123 said:
I liked the hulking Heroquest ones. There was also some little spin-off involving a Chaos/Orc siege of some tower in the middle of a tablecloth map that had kewl chaos knights.

Ah yeah, that was Battle Masters. It was like a beginner's version of Warhammer, in that it was fast-paced and actually fun, and simple enough for even normal people to get into. Played it once with me Dad, brother, and uncle. By the end of it my Dad and uncle (as the poncy knights and heroes) were taking it totally serious, while we destroyed them with our hordes of goblins, orcs and chaos knights. The figures weren't bad by mass-produced kiddy plastic standards of the time, but as usual the evil side got all the detail and love.

Some images of it:
battlemasters.jpg

battlemasters.jpg

battlemasterstower.jpg

Brings back memories. It had an interesting, if basic, random card deck element, and the system for firing the cannon was cool.

Did anybody else ever see or buy any of the old Asgard lead figures? They were kind of the older, cheaper, more basic (and more varied) version of Games Workshop ones - sometimes they were a bit wonky/bendy, and ingesting the lead as a child has left me stunted and insane, but they had an old-worlde hobbyist charm to them that GW's corporate moneygrabbing could never quite replace.

05.jpg

Their humans were also proportioned like humans. Still got quite a few of 'em.

Actual wargames - miniature semi-accurate recreations of Waterloo and Bull Run, etc. - were always cool to watch, when the mad old eternal bachelors would hold their weirdo meet-ups in the community centre.

Quilty

Magister
Those Infinity miniatures look really good, and I think a lot of them could be converted into something cool (since I dislike the anime feel most of them give off). They also seem to be cheaper than the awful stuff GW churns out. I found their miniatures to be terrible, apart from Orks and Death Korps of Krieg by Forgeworld.

Flanged

Scholar
Ed123 said:
Fuck that cannon, man. Always worked perfectly so long as I wasn't the Empire player. :x

Yeah, why did the Empire have such a hard time with the cannon? The rules were the same for both, if I remember right, but the Empire's shots always fucked up, usually landing on their own troops, to my delight.

Here's a video review of the Special Edition re-release of Space Hulk, by Rab Florence from Consolevania. He had a board game review site for a while called Downtime Town. Not sure if you bros will like it. Not sure if I do either. Like every single internet review, it contains a painful amount of mugging at the camera, as if anybody ever wants to see the reviewer's face instead of the game itself. Especially when it's a game as good-looking as this one. Well, anyway, he really likes Space Hulk:

http://www.downtimetown.com/tag/space-hulk/

Battlefleet Gothic was awesome. Are your starships like in Star Trek, fast, clean and filled with science or are they in fact multiple kilometer long space cathedrals that maneuver like oil tankers and fire massive broadsides, cannons loading with rows of cyborg slaves pulling them back with massive chains?

I like the miniatures a lot,
m1185023_99120807001_BFGImperialCruisersMain_445x319.jpg

but it's the gameplay that makes it pretty close to my favourite, only topped by Blood Bowl.

Destroid

Arcane
Also, for those guys who are interested but don't want to spend the money or time or don't have local players for warhammer, you could try Warhammer Invasion, a so-called living card game (fixed decks) that is pretty cheap and should have plenty of flavour. I've played Chaos in the Old World by the same designer, which is excellent, so this should be good too. I also think the living card game format is vastly superior to the collectible card game.

QFAA9.jpg

warhammer+invasion.jpg

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
So I found the RPGCodex equivalent in the 40k community and it took my attention this whole week: Yesthetruthhurts.com

He even complains about current video games being too dumb and console-y. True bro right there.

Flanged

Scholar
This PC version of Battle Masters isn't bad at all, perfectly playable, though the first scenario seems unwinnable to me. You can skip to the second one easy enough.

Download the campaign demo for some nostalgia and decent "tactical" gameplay (not really tactical 'cos you can't really plan ahead much or devise a strategy, since the game simulates the card deck system of the tabletop game, whereby your men might not get to move at all in some turns. Frustrating but forgiveable).

http://members.westnet.com.au/brick27/compgame.html

I forgot the evil side had an Ogre instead of a cannon. He's much more useful.

Looking at Dave Graffam's card stock models of buildings has been making me erect recently too.

294533_md-Bridge%2C%20Buildings%2C%20Dave%20Graffam%2C%20Daves%20Games%2C%20House%2C%20Inventors%2C%20Papercraft.jpg

Img_3111.jpg

I want these things. I should have these things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom