Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Technically, that's not correct...a GamesRader article link

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
cloud--article_image.jpg

FINAL FANTASY VII
Cloud's Sword

Man, that’s a big-ass sword! How big would you say it is? Our conservative estimate is that Cloud's blade is about 4ft long, 1ft wide on average, and 5in thick on average. That seems fair, doesn’t it? Now, if we assume that his sword is made of steel, or an alloy roughly similar to steel, how much would it weigh? About 650lbs. So Cloud is capable, with his scrawny-ass biceps, to lift and swing the weight of about three people with ease? I think not. The world record for a bench press is 1075lbs, only 425lbs heavier than our estimated weight of Cloud’s sword – and these athletes aren’t swinging their weights around like feather dusters, they’re literally spilling their guts. Technically, that's just not correct.

More at:http://www.gamesradar.com/f/technically-thats-not-correct/a-2009082584647868075

"Nerd rage activate! It’s time to pointlessly nitpick games that don’t deserve it!"

gamesradar.com said:
Hey Mr. WWII Game, how about being right about something? Fat chance! While supposedly in 1945, World at War makes reference to the United States "Air Force." Guess what? It wasn't called the Air Force until 1947 - before then it was known as the Army Air Corps., so, yep, you guessed it you history raping bastards: technically, that's not correct.
Technically, that's not correct:
Wikipedia said:
Lineage of the United States Air Force

* Aeronautical Division, U.S. Signal Corps 1 August 1907–July 18 1914
* Aviation Section, U.S. Signal Corps 18 July 1914–May 20, 1918
* Division of Military Aeronautics 20 May 1918–May 24, 1918
* United States Army Air Service 24 May 1918–July 2, 1926
* United States Army Air Corps 2 July 1926–June 20, 1941*
* United States Army Air Forces 20 June 1941–September 18, 1947*
* United States Air Force 18 September 1947–Present

* The Air Corps became a subordinate element of the Army Air Forces, and no longer an organization, on 20 June 1941. It continued to exist as a combat arm of the Army (similar to Infantry) until disestablished by Congress with the creation of the U.S. Air Force in 1947.
Ye Olde Source.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious. I guess the reason for pointing it out is that the giant sword has become so common in jrpgs and mmorpgs, with very little satirising of it within those genres, or even related genres. You'd think there'd be more wrpgs where you find a sword that looks suspiciously like Cloud's, but is unusable with a message saying 'well, it's shaped like a sword, but no-one in their right mind would consider this 200kg monstrosity to be a useable weapon'.

Though note, if it was about 100kg (I'm uncertain of the pounds to kilos conversion), there have been Kwon's Knives, used in medieval China, found that weighed 115kg: 90 to 100kg aren't uncommon, though the standard ones were considerably lighter than that. They were basically giant motherfucking swords, but they were wielded only my the physically strongest of officers, and were there more to garner respect for the officer (often high-ranking, sometimes generals) by showing that this commander could hold his own in a fight. Pikes and ordrinary swords were far better weaponsl - but those giant fuckers did exist and were used in battle.

Odd that the Chinese would have used them, given that they weren't a society that used heavy armour. Much of their differentiation in weapons (not including the various peasant weapons) arose from the fact that they were fielding, and usually facing, lightly armoured troops. Even swords, whilst being a very common weapon in China, just like Europe, were used very differently in military engagements - sword teams were used as fast-moving guerilla units. Once the bulk of the army was engaged, using pikes and similar formation-friendly weapons, the swordsmen would sweep down the flanks, often using poisoned blades so they could just cut and keep on running, without directly engaging the opponents - possible because they weren't wearing heavy armour. Which frankly would have made a great big 100kg kwons' knife fucking retarded, except as a 'look-at-me-I-can-wield-a-huge-sword' weapon.

Mackerel

Augur
Let me nitpick your historical examination of guan dao polearms.

Wikipedia said:
The modern guan dao as adopted by martial artists today usually weighs between 2 kg and 10 kg (5 and 20 pounds), while it is said that Guan Yu's original guan dao weighed between 50 and 100 kg (100 and 200 lb). During the Qing dynasty some extraordinarily heavy versions of guan dao were made for use in military examinations: a candidate had to be able to wield a weapon weighing 80, 100, or 120 jin (48, 60, or 72 kg) in order to pass. The weight of Guan Yu's weapon was probably mis-estimated based on some of these examples.
So, in reality, participants were required to display a form while using a heavy version of the weapon in order to pass an exam.

Zeus

Cipher
I like how people are still bitching about Cloud's sword, yet no one has a problem with him calling down lightning from the heavens or summoning huge monsters to fight on his behalf.

The Materia System = realistic, yo!

Well, it can be handwaved as "magic", which no one expects to be real

As for the sword, maybe it's made of some super strong, yet super light material, or maybe mako energy made Cloud stronger than an average guy... I don't know/care.

Deleted member 7219

Sometimes I wish god existed, just so he could make Square stop making Final Fantasy games.

Zeus

Cipher
If you look at a game called Final Fantasy 7 and expect realism, you're in for the disappointment of a lifetime.

"Why does staying at an inn heal my wounds and cure my diseases?!"

And so on.

Re: Technically, that's not correct...a GamesRader article l

Mighty Mouse said:
"Nerd rage activate! It’s time to pointlessly nitpick games that don’t deserve it!"

That's our resident waptard!

DraQ

Arcane
Also, I loved how the gal in Drakan was swinging a huge ass warhammer. Granted, it seemed somewhat heavy judging from the way she swung it, but judging from the size of it's metal head it seemed to weight about as much as the gal herself, yet she was able to perform the double flip overhead attack with it.

Then again, she was casually wearing chainmail over her naked chest, so maybe she was just that hardcore.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
4ft long, 1ft wide on average, and 5in thick on average

Well going by this basis, it makes perfect sense, as Cloud there is clearly 6 feet tall, 2 feet wide, and 3 feet thick on average, and weighs approx 1500lbs.

Yeah, the sword is stupidly large and would likely weigh a fuckton (Probably around 100-125lbs) compared to the weight of a normal sword. 5 in thick on average though? That's not even a blade. He also only holds it in one hand while posing, so really, I don't see why the magical supersoldier should have much trouble swinging it like a sledgehammer with both hands.

Yeah, it's a stupid weapon. But we're talking about a world where bursts from fully automatic weapons barely scratch people. Maybe all the weapons are made of aluminum instead of lead or steel.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
In before "it's only fantasy" argum..., shit, too late.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom