Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Technomage Rogue Build

Julian_McQueen

Barely Literate
I have the Multiverse mod installed and am trying to start a Technomage Assassin build for my 2nd playthrough (Ran a Mage/Melee build last time and had a blast blazing through everytning), but I'm having issues getting it started. Mainly Magnus won't join my party, even with 0 Alignment, and my lockpicks keep jamming everything.

Does anyone have suggestions for a better technomage with rogue elements, or perhaps tips for how I could better utilize this build?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
did rogue magic gunslinger recently so I got you covered.

Reason you are going for magic is temporal school. That one does not care about magic aptitude. In general no self buffs do.
You got only 2 active slots. Tempus faggit+haste. Hence no reason to even pick another school.
As such you will basically go full tech aptitude, although it will take a while to get there due to spell investment.

This was for gunslinger, but same would work for melee tech weapon. Female half orc with only child background is the way to go. You cover int requirements with elixir of intelect(one of few magical potions that do not care about aptitude)

Magic weapons and equipment would be different. You need to hit certain magic aptitude thresholds and I dont know those. Once you do - you have problems with rogue actions that rely on tech aptitude. BTW lockpicks will jam everything until you are expert. Starting as rogue is tough

Julian_McQueen

Barely Literate
did rogue magic gunslinger recently so I got you covered.

Reason you are going for magic is temporal school. That one does not care about magic aptitude. In general no self buffs do.
You got only 2 active slots. Tempus faggit+haste. Hence no reason to even pick another school.
As such you will basically go full tech aptitude, although it will take a while to get there due to spell investment.

This was for gunslinger, but same would work for melee tech weapon. Female half orc with only child background is the way to go. You cover int requirements with elixir of intelect(one of few magical potions that do not care about aptitude)

Magic weapons and equipment would be different. You need to hit certain magic aptitude thresholds and I dont know those. Once you do - you have problems with rogue actions that rely on tech aptitude. BTW lockpicks will jam everything until you are expert. Starting as rogue is tough
Hmm, perhaps then a tech build would be more viable. I was thinking of trying a build that uses magic for combat and persuasion, and tech is for everything else, like lockpicking and stuff.

I'll have to play with it some more, my issue with the assassin playthrough was my TA got too high and for some reason potions didn't boost my int. With the extra levels AME provides, it probably doesn't matter, but I was concerned.

Also, in your opinion, should I try a harder difficulty than easy/normal, I'm trying to follow the guidance for the Technomage Assassin guide and I seem to keep leveling too fast. I'll check the config to see if I'm gaining extra XP, but I wanted your perspective as a more experienced player of this game.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Hmm, perhaps then a tech build would be more viable. I was thinking of trying a build that uses magic for combat and persuasion, and tech is for everything else, like lockpicking and stuff.
im afraid you need to be more precise what exactly you will be doing

Julian_McQueen

Barely Literate
im afraid you need to be more precise what exactly you will be doing
Sorry, I have a habit on poorly wording things. I was thinking of a technomage build that uses magic primarily for combat and persuasion (Harm, Stun, Charm, etc) and then tech would be used for everything else (Auto lockpick, mechanical dagger, flow disruptor, etc). Equipment would be half magic, half tech, so I would stay right smack dab in the middle.

Hopefully this clarifies things, I'm not really good at making builds in anything but the Soulsborne series, so forgive me if I seem inexperienced...

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
magic primarily for combat
meaning you need high magic aptitude or dmg will be too low.
mechanical dagger
any aptitude weapon will be less effective if you dont meet the quota and if you go negative even result in critical failures. If you want magic, use dagger of speed instead.
Auto lockpick, mechanical dagger, flow disruptor, etc
I think that those 2 would work.

Bear in mind that tech equipment like electrical rings will give you 0 bonus without tech aptitude.

'but what if i stay neutral' you might ask? You would need to drop the idea of dealing dmg through spells. Tech melee weapons should work I think but stay away from firearms. Neutral weapons will be fine, magical will be underpowered.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom