Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review TechTV review of Harbinger

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Harbinger

<a href="http://www.techtv.com/">TechTV has posted their <a href="http://www.techtv.com/extendedplay/reviews/story/0,24330,3416956,00.html">review</a> of <a href="http://www.harbingergame.com">Harbinger</a>, giving it a <b>3/5</b>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The other problem in "Harbinger" stems from the setting itself. Many of the items found in the game are simply boring. They look boring, they sound boring, and they are not always immediately identifiable. Finding an ES-4 Combatant MK2 isn't nearly is exciting as finding an Ultimate Staff of Doom. Say what you will about the fantasy setting, but it's often a much more exciting and easier to understand environment for the average gamer.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Well, off the top of my head, I'd say an <b>ES-4 Combatant MK2</b> is better than the Mk1. Meanwhile, <b>Ultimate Staff of Doom</b> doesn't really say what it does <i>either</i>. To a fly, it could be a flyswatter, which wouldn't help against a 20' tall demon, would it?
<br>
<br>
However, this argument is absurd since regardless of the setting, you still have some way of looking at the statistics of the weapon to know what it does exactly.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</a>.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Saint_Proverbius said:
One of the few games that bills itself as a CRPG that's actually a Sci-Fi setting, and it's so bad that there's no way it'll sell that well. So, you'll have sme markettimng people out tjhere nodding their head and saying, "Hey, it's sci-fi, that's why it didn't sell."

Say what you will about the fantasy setting, but it's often a much more exciting and easier to understand environment for the average gamer.

So it has began.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I honestly don't see the appeal in finding a "Great sword of mass destruction" in comparison to something ubercool like a really ancient technological artifact/weapon like (for example) a "Xantharian Gun Artifact" or a "Prototype Echelon-MK5 DIspersion Cannon". Having those tech upgrades in Syndicate and old Shadowrun campaigns really kicked ass.

I'd prefer to get something like a "Dermal Hardening Enhancement" or a "Ranger Mechanoid Suit" over a "Plate of Valor +2".

I know it's not that big a difference, since it's mostly aesthetic, but let's face it - Magic is old. There needs to be a change of scenery.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the JA2 combat engine (not the graphics engine, mind you) be used in a fantasy setting, with a few enhancements - nets (either magical webs from Abjurer spellcasters, or regular nets used by bounty hunters and rangers) among other things. Granted, such a settign would allow for night combat to work as well as it did in JA2. Of course, alchemists would be able to brew up flares and suipherous canisters, while mages could summon orbs of light. Thieves would have a helluva good time sniping with arbalests and long range crossbows.

The thing about the setting and the engine is that medieval warfare would have to be portrayed in a realistic fashion. i.e. most people wouldn't be running around killing each other with swords - they'd be using bows, crossbows, slings, javelins, arbalests, and that French weapon that could be used as a bladestaff, or thrown.

Rogues and alchemists could opt to poison their enemies with sulphur and mercury and assassins would work with stealth, the same way they worked in JA2.

Pretty neat, eh?

Personally, though, I'd still prefer a high-tech futuristic or dark future setting in JA2 over any fantasy setting.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
Any reviewer who thinks it exciting to find an Ultimate Staff of Doom instantly discredits him/herself with me. I can think of nothing duller than such an event. Moreover of all the complaints I have read about Harbringer (and they are legion) this has got to be the stupidest.

Storn

Novice
Actually, I wouldn't mind a game like that even with JA2's graphics if they made it just as fun.

S.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, that's one thing Fallout actually did pretty well by using generic names. At a glance, you should know that a Sniper Rifle is going to be better than a Hunting Rifle. A 14MM Pistol is going to be more damaging than a 10MM Pistol. Most of the weapons in that game you can just look at and know which is better or not.

Spazmo

Erudite
Yeah, and then look at Fallout 2: there were miniguns, and then Avenger Miniguns, and Vindicator Miniguns, too. Which is best? I dunno.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Spazmo said:
Yeah, and then look at Fallout 2: there were miniguns, and then Avenger Miniguns, and Vindicator Miniguns, too. Which is best? I dunno.

I think the worst thing about Fallout 2 was that the 1990 era prototype weapons were better than the pre-Great War ones. That never made any sense to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom