Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Telepath RPG: Servants of God Interview at Rampant Coyote

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Telepath RPG: Servants of God

<p>Craig Stern stopped by the <a href="http://rampantgames.com/blog/?p=2175" target="_blank">Rampant Coyote den to discuss</a> his Shining Force meets Fallout meets overambitious Flash game, <a href="http://sinisterdesign.net/?page_id=267" target="_blank"><strong>Telepath RPG: Servants of God</strong></a>.</p>
<blockquote>Rampant Coyote: Your website suggests that the NPCs in the player&rsquo;s party have dynamic relationships with the player character. When I hear that, the first thing I think of is the Baldur&rsquo;s Gate series. How does TSoG compare? Are the dynamics more story-based, or based more on your general actions &ndash; sort of a continuous scoring of faction or karma?<br /><br />Craig Stern: There are some similarities with Baldur&rsquo;s Gate, in that your choices will impact which characters join your party, stay with you, help you, or&mdash;in some cases&mdash;even hurt you. People will remember certain things you say or do, but I very specifically chose not to include &ldquo;cosmic scorecard&rdquo; elements in the game like alignment or karma. It&rsquo;s always struck me as a clumsy mechanic to tell the player &ldquo;that was a Good thing you did, and now all Good people in the game will like you more,&rdquo; or &ldquo;that was Evil, so now you are more Evil.&rdquo; That&rsquo;s not how people actually behave, and it doesn&rsquo;t fit with the message I&rsquo;m trying to send with TSoG.</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://rampantgames.com/blog/">Rampant Coyote</a></p>

desocupado

Magister
Although I dislike flash graphics, the battle system seems interesting.

Maybe it's a bit of incline?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Hey, we did try out the demo! At least I did. The problem was that Flash isn't really suitable to the game he wants - the initial city, for example, lagged horribly and it was a pain to march the party around. I know that I suggested him to go with Darklands route and make the cities only background pictures with options to do various stuff on the screen and only use detailed maps for dungeons and battles.

The battles were lacking in options, though that might have been purely because the demo was literally the first hour of the game.

Rest of the negativity was the usual animu-weeaboo stuff.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
No karma system? I like the concept and agree that it's more realistic.

Repressed Homosexual
I've always been interested in a mix of free-form western RPG, combined with the set pieces, and the tighter storytelling and character interaction of eastern ones (without all the emo crap, slapstick humor, infantile characters and other cringe worthy moments of JRPGs, of course).

Does any such game already exist?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Humanity has risen! said:
I've always been interested in a mix of free-form western RPG, combined with the set pieces, and the tighter storytelling and character interaction of eastern ones (without all the emo crap, slapstick humor, infantile characters and other cringe worthy moments of JRPGs, of course).

Does any such game already exist?

Baldur's Gate 2. :smug:

denizsi

Arcane
Lost me at:

1oom4h.jpg

LOL

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I dunno... I wouldn't dismiss them, as they seem pretty well funded for an Indie group.

Lightknight

Liturgist
a clumsy mechanic to tell the player “that was a Good thing you did, and now all Good people in the game will like you more,” That’s not how people actually behave
Yes they do, do you WANT to have a cup of earl grey with Osama ? Do you ? Why not, because he is "evil" ? And technically, you dont need yourself to be of evil alignment to have a reputation of an evil person.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Radisshu said:
Well funded enough to get an AWESOME logotype at least

Have a look at his Youtube channel and see what else they've got. The logo looks weird but the rest would cost many potato, if he had to pay others to do it.

So it makes him look like more than a lone Indie to me. If he is just an lone wolf, then hats off to him for making himself look bigger than what he is.

I would be surprised if this game didn't sell very well. He knows how to market.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom