Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Telltale 2011 - KQ reboot - Fables and Walking dead oh my!

Eyeball

Arcane
large.jpg

Matter of time.

Zeus

Cipher
Ironically, one Nintendolife image seems to be totally unprotected from hotlinking:

denied.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,1279

New Jurassic Park preview (with a small video).

Not all misses are fatal. Sometimes the character will stumble or take a blow as a result of your blunder. But as you would expect if you were actually running away from a dinosaur, the danger is real and death can (and will) occur. When it does, the game takes you back to just before that point to try again. And some of the death scenes are pretty awesome to behold. It’s the kind of action you’d expect to see in a Jurassic Park movie, and that makes even dying a satisfying part of the experience. (The first few times, at least.)

Nice...

Redlands

Arcane
Jaesun said:
New Jurassic Park review (with a small video).

It's a preview, not a review.

Considering Telltale are "still working out" the PC controls, I'm still worried about whether that's indicative of a "console-first" attitude. Granted there's more buttons on a keyboard, but still...

The graphics for Jurassic Park aren't as terrible as they could have been. At least it shows they can improve in at least one area, I guess. But what the hell is a "dialogue wheel"?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
DOh! My bad Redlands. Thanks.

To be honest I fucking give up on Telltale games for the PC. It is clear they don't seem to give a shit about us PC gamers. Granted I'd be willing to bet over 60% (or more) of their revenue comes from the console market.

Since I own both a PS3 and an XBox360 I'll from now on be getting these on my console.

Zeus

Cipher
Jaesun said:
To be honest I fucking give up on Telltale games for the PC. It is clear they don't seem to give a shit about us PC gamers

Okay Kanye, settle down. A publisher can still care about the PC even if one of their titles are getting preferential treatment on console.

Where's the Xbox 360 version of Back to the Future? Oh yeah, there is none. Sam & Max games used to get Xbox Live and Wii releases, but both were dropped by season three. Puzzle Agent was ported to Wii, but the sequel isn't being released on consoles. Poker Night at the Inventory? PC and Mac only.

Something tells me Telltale games sell more on Steam, where you can buy the entire Telltale Collection with one click. Jurassic Park seems to be them saying, "Okay, our graphic adventures don't sell nearly as well on console--let's try to build something from the ground up FOR consoles and hope it sells."

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Zeus said:
Jaesun said:
To be honest I fucking give up on Telltale games for the PC. It is clear they don't seem to give a shit about us PC gamers

Okay Kanye, settle down. A publisher can still care about the PC even if one of their titles are getting preferential treatment on console.

Where's the Xbox 360 version of Back to the Future? Oh yeah, there is none. Sam & Max games used to get Xbox Live and Wii releases, but both were dropped by season three. Puzzle Agent was ported to Wii, but the sequel isn't being released on consoles. Poker Night at the Inventory? PC and Mac only.

Something tells me Telltale games sell more on Steam, where you can buy the entire Telltale Collection with one click.

To be honest, ALL my telltale games I have bought are from steam. I just *assumed* they all were available the consoles because of the fucking annoying console controls they use. Interesting.

Zeus said:
Jurassic Park seems to be them saying, "Okay, our graphic adventures don't sell nearly as well on console--let's try to build something from the ground up FOR consoles and hope it sells."

Agreed. They have already said it is basically Heavy Rain with Dinosaurs.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Interesting read here:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,1286

Adventure Gamers: Why did you decide to pursue Sierra franchises, when Telltale has such a prominent LucasArts background? (Or to put it more bluntly: Why should Sierra fans trust you with King’s Quest?)

Dave Grossman: Looking at our forums (or the ones at Adventure Gamers, for that matter), I get the sense that there are some fans who are rather leery about what we might do with a beloved license like King’s Quest. Which is all well and good, I would expect to encounter that kind of protective feeling from a die-hard fan of any franchise. To them I would say this: Telltale does have a significant Lucas background, but we also have a lot of lifelong Sierra fans in the studio. We are neither LucasArts nor Sierra, what we are is a studio that puts a huge amount of emphasis on staying true to the license we’re working with, no matter where it comes from. We approach our work as fans, we wanted to work with King’s Quest because there are a lot of people here who love it, and those are the people who are going to be building this game.

Also, we take input from our community seriously, so if there are particular things that you love about King’s Quest that you would like to see in the game, by all means post those thoughts to the Telltale forums. The designers read them, and a designer’s whole job is to make the audience happy.

AG: What do you think makes a Sierra game different from a LucasArts game? Will the stylistic differences affect how you approach the King’s Quest license?

DG: The danger in a Sierra game always seemed more palpable and immediate than in one from LucasArts. Partly this was because LucasArts games took great pains to reassure you that you wouldn’t die and couldn’t do anything wrong, while Sierra games took a certain delight in all of the ways that you might die or otherwise fail that was part of the fun. Lucas games were largely exploratory, while Sierra titles had more of an element of challenge, including a more distinctly puzzley focus, situations with time constraints, and so on.

A good trick for us will be to preserve those elements of peril, challenge, and yes, death, but also hopefully do something to address the frustration that unfortunately tended to come along with them all too often and alienate some of the players (maybe if the game just saves and hits “restore” for you automatically that will be enough).

Interesting read....

Also here are the telltale forums: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/

Bubb

Barely Literate
Fucking assholes. King's quest? Who the hell wants this? Specially after the "mask of eternity" abortion. And Roberta Williams is not involved. Shit sucks.

Tell you what, these people should get the Gabriel Knight IP and hire Jensen. It would be better and it would sell better, not sure what they were thinking. Sierra has several far superior IPs, of which GK is the most notable.

Redlands

Arcane
Bubb said:
Fucking assholes. King's quest? Who the hell wants this? Specially after the "mask of eternity" abortion. And Roberta Williams is not involved. Shit sucks.

Because it's the most famous Sierra franchise. It's also one of the most worked-on in terms of fan games (what with three remakes from AGDI, one from IA and then TSL), and probably Activision is worried about doing something with the franchise: considering apparently TSL tried to get the games into official sequels, or something, and I think maybe AGDI were sniffing around for the license as well. But they don't pop out shitty "adventure" games every month and since that's kind of what Activision wants to do...

Tell you what, these people should get the Gabriel Knight IP and hire Jensen. It would be better and it would sell better, not sure what they were thinking. Sierra has several far superior IPs, of which GK is the most notable.

Look, I'll save you the trouble of looking like a complete moron, but you do know this is Telltale we're talking about, right?

Telltale make adventure games suitable only for getting you out of depression, because by the time you're finished with them you'll be so angry that someone could take the only real challenge to adventure games - puzzle-solving - and dumb it down to the point of mental retardation that you decide that life's worth living, if only to brutally murder the dumbfucks in charge of creating such an abomination.

Bubb

Barely Literate
Maybe you are right bro, but at this pointe the adventure scene is so depressing that you just hope ANYTHINg gets done. It may be too extreme, but I would take a popamole GK4 over no GK4. Jensen is still alive, and if she is on board it can't be so bad.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
King Quest III will be the ultimate challenge to their design team. Hahah. 15 MINUTES GWYDION!

Bubb

Barely Literate
Also, what is the point of implementing Sierra style deaths if the game auto-saves before it? Sounds pretty fucking popamole. The whole point of those dead ends and bizarre deaths was actually frustrating the player... if they take that out where is the fun?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Bubb said:
Also, what is the point of implementing Sierra style deaths if the game auto-saves before it? Sounds pretty fucking popamole. The whole point of those dead ends and bizarre deaths was actually frustrating the player... if they take that out where is the fun?

Yeah. I think this might very well indeed be the first time TellTale might get some very angry backlash from older Sierra loving fans. And there are many. ( i have not checked their forums in a while).

They could of course always implement a "Classic Serra Mode" option, which could potentially fuck the player and make them have to start over again (which is a GOOD thing, depending on the logic involved on the said you are now fucked moment arrives). Development constraints and time though, would probably not make this an option.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom