Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Temple+ Support archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugmeister

Educated
Patron
I will look into the sound / keyboard / mouse issues. Priority being on mouse/keyboard.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Maybe we can add one to the ToEE gallery ;)

On another note...
On an unrelated note, movement speed for dwarves is being reduced due to the encumbrance penalty (medium or heavy), which shouldn't happen. You should be able to see this right in the opening shop map... load up a dwarf and his speed drops from 20 to 15 on medium encumbrance. The armor type immunity is working though (no reduction for medium+ armor alone).

Finally got around to fixing this. Dwarves now 10% more awesome.

f2W8enD.png

I'm seeing some rare instability with TemplePlus that I'm having a hard time reproducing due to it's nature. Just recently, I left the game running in the shop map for a couple of hours while I had dinner and hung out with my gf. When I picked it up again, it crashed while manipulating items in the inventory. I don't think a save game would be useful (nor do I have one for this example) but the log shows a pile of direct3d warnings and apparently the process runs out of vram. The errors pile up while I'm AFK. I have a vram gauge on my desktop, but didn't glance at it before the CTD to see whether that was consistent with the log. I'll keep my eye on it for future leaky behavior... I frequently let the game run for long periods while I'm doing other things.

Log posted to the Google drive. This particular game was run through character creation for 6 characters, equipment purchases and then left sitting idle for a couple of hours, more or less.

On another occasion (recently) I had map 'blackouts' when scrolling into adjacent map sectors. That log was overwritten (oops :roll:) but it contained similar statements, iirc.

And a continuing problem mentioned in the old thread on Co8, the game does not take well to being minimized for too long. It will typically go black and CTD when I restore the window. I'll take a look at a log from one of those cases, maybe it's similar.

This seems to have been solved as well, I've had several nightly runs without problems, and as mentioned the minimization bug was definitely taken care of.

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Aenra Pug just replaced the Keyboard handling (ToEE was using the deprecated DirectInput). Can you test if it works now?

In other news, I've made some nice pathfinding improvements.

You should now be able to do long distance pathing in Hommlet without that shitty bug where some of your party members fail to find a path and get left behind. I've tested this for nearly end-to-end distances and it works! (may take a moment to compute the path though :P). Will gradually be applying this to other maps. Zig-zagging still occurs, but I may be able to improve that a bit too (and hopefully we'll make the switch to Nav Meshes later on so it'll run even better & faster).

I've also added proper straight-line forcing for Charge Attack and Run actions, so you can move really far as long as there's a clear path.

iKyoyhE.jpg

Now you can hightail it when Iuz shows up. You'll probably break the scripting though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
P.S. look what I found. lol

Last edited:

Aenra

Sitra Achara apologies for the delay, keyboard + mouse work fine now! :)
(assuming you're still interested in the old .log let me know, will upload it next time i'm home)

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Sitra Achara apologies for the delay, keyboard + mouse work fine now! :)
(assuming you're still interested in the old .log let me know, will upload it next time i'm home)
Great! The log is not necessary.

We're not far off from beta at this point - the biggest outstanding issue is crap rendering performance, which can become really noticeable on lower end systems.

Fixed a pet peeve of mine - character creation now displays 8 portraits.

jGgcdXW.png

Hi, just got wind of this project recently and decided to test this out a bit, and while playing around on Build 0.1.0-pre+400 with Co8 8.1 installed I noticed that my Chaotic Good Cleric of Pelor was spontaneously casting Inflict Wounds instead of Cure Wounds spells, and made a few more clerics to test it and it seems all clerics spontaneously cast Inflict spells, I even tried making a true neutral cleric of Boccob and manually selecting Positive and it still resulted in Inflict spells.

Thx, fixed in build 401.

Last edited:

Alex0080

Novice
Hi, just got wind of this project recently and decided to test this out a bit, and while playing around on Build 0.1.0-pre+400 with Co8 8.1 installed I noticed that my Chaotic Good Cleric of Pelor was spontaneously casting Inflict Wounds instead of Cure Wounds spells, and made a few more clerics to test it and it seems all clerics spontaneously cast Inflict spells, I even tried making a true neutral cleric of Boccob and manually selecting Positive and it still resulted in Inflict spells.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
renderHeight=768
renderWidth=1366
useDirect3d9Ex=true
windowHeight=768
windowWidth=1366
windowed=false

These are the only settings that work reliably for me on my laptop... problem is, everything's too zoomed out and alt-tabbing is annoyingly glitchy.

I tried lower resolutions but it clips the image, disables edge-scroll or makes the screen just blank with sound playing in the background.

I just want to play at 800*600 in full-screen mode, have my screen centered (maintaining 4:3 aspect ratio on my widescreen) and have edge-scroll - just like in the original ToEE.

On first run it also complained about my ToEE not being the GoG version, but it still booted up (I have a retail version).

edit:
Fullscreen is playable for me but alt-tabbing only partially works: it brings up the taskbar but I can't reach the desktop without right-clicking the templeplus icon and exiting the game. I don't want to play like that.
Fixed

Windowed used to work, but now there's just no image there, the screen is just black/blank with the cursor and I can hear music and mouse-over sounds. Edge scroll doesn't work well in windowed, and using the arrows keys instead is intolerably clunky.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Lol, I just moved a few solved issues to the alpha testing archive, and apparently it caused Lilura 's bug reports to disappear. So congrats lilura, you're a natural :p
DarkUnderlord

edit: ok fixed nm

Otherwise yeah full screen rescaling got borked, probably in the latest refactoring round. We'll fix. Not sure what's causing the issue with windowed though, can you post a log from when that happens + system specs? GPU, OS version primarily.

Oh heh, you trickster. These are valid complaints though, the full screen got fixed just now by pug (build 403) and the alt tabbing should be improved by as well in the next day or so.

Most of the you above items are indeed 'normal' toee bugs, though the sluggishness in welcome wench and other scenes with many critters is partially our fault (will be fixed by pug's massive rendering reform, but it'll take some time). And the hyperlink for Divine Might doesn't exist because I was lazy :p

Also it's good to have some testing on patch2, because honestly most of the testing so far has been done on gog(=moebius) and co8 dlls.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Sorry for any confusion, I accidentally deleted my message!

I'm really liking your work; it's wonderful stuff.

Fullscreen is fine and I'm putting up with having to quit out of the game if I need to multi-task (the game quits out and loads much faster with your exe, anyway).

Just a few things I've noticed, these are probably just patch2/8.1.0 bugs and nothing to do with your exe:

-When I level up and add to my skills, sometimes the skill value field is blank (the skill increase still registers, though).
Fixed in b729
-I'm annoyed by the inconsistency in the required method of selecting feats & spells: sometimes you can just right-click, other times you have to left-click drag to the empty field (cumbersome)
Fixed for memorizing spells
-Likewiese, it would be cool in chargen if we could right-click the attribute values instead of dragging them to the empty field.
Done in v1.0.30
-Divine Might "hyperlink" takes me to the main rules page instead of the specific entry.
Fixed
-Clerics don't have 8th level domain spells? At least, my cleric with Lawful/Good spheres had nothing to select for the open slot.
Co8 issue (being worked on here)
-I'm still struggling with the framerate; the slowdown was unplayably severe in the battle with Hedrack (the Welcome Wench is awful, too).
Shadow related, fixed/improved in rendering overhaul
-On one occassion Iuz's hit box (the red circle beneath him) engulfed the whole chamber.
Probably related to the Object Radius Corruption bug, should be fixed in b716

I'll post other stuff as I find it.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Oh, I didn't know the GoG version included moebius dll fix.

Is 403 up for download?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Oh, I didn't know the GoG version included moebius dll fix.
Moebius dll fixed a shitload of bugs, it's no wonder. One in particular was the looting bug, which would have been a show stopper for those who'd encounter it.
Is 403 up for download?
Yes, I always just update the link in the first post.

Build 407 is up, fixed the alt-tabbing issue.

However non-native W:H ratios will cause some problems with edge scrolling, so I'd stick to 1366x768. (btw, that's probably the most annoying resolution ever - twice a large prime number...)

Great, but will this be compatible with my Build 400 savefiles?
Yeah, it's just rendering changes.

It's definitely system dependent, but even on higher end rigs it's way slower than you'd expect (no 'real' reason for it to be below 60FPS). I've done some light manual profiling in the main loop and it's definitely the rendering. It appears to be some incompatibility with modern rendering pipelines. You can also see this in the WorldEd which performs like crap when all the various tile shaders are applied - I can't imagine it being like this back in 2003, otherwise ToEE would never get made. Like I said a thorough rendering reform is in the works, but it'll take some time.

Re. Rapid Shot / Flurry of Blows, can you point me to specific times in the videos where this happens? I've watched a couple and didn't see any, but I might have missed it.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Moebius dll fixed a shitload of bugs, it's no wonder. One in particular was the looting bug, which would have been a show stopper for those who'd encounter it.

I used to just manually enter combat with "c" to loot corpses, but yeah, annoying. I'm not sure why, but patch2's looting bug doesn't affect my vanilla install these days...

Yes, I always just update the link in the first post.

Ok, thanks.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Build 407 is up, fixed the alt-tabbing issue.

Great, but will this be compatible with my Build 400 savefiles?

However non-native W:H ratios will cause some problems with edge scrolling, so I'd stick to 1366x768. (btw, that's probably the most annoying resolution ever - twice a large prime number...)

Laptops gon' laptop.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Alt-tabbing works good now. Am I right in assuming everyone gets severe lag in/at certain places/times? It's really bad for me, but then I'm just using a ("gaming") laptop atm.

The Clairaudience/Clairvoyance spell effect hits my framerate hard.

I've thrown up a few vids of Co8 8.1.0 & Build 407: frog fight (pretty much lagless), moathouse ambush (a lil' laggy), assassin encounter (seems ok, but depends on ambush area), Lareth encounter (heavy lag, almost unplayable), Emridy Meadows (lots of spelll buffs/effects active, seemed ok), Docks massacre (ok), Imeryds Run (surprisingly ok).

I know the battle in the ruined tower and the one against Hendrack are lag-city for me; unplayable.

I'm not sure if it's a bug, but a few times in those vids my archer wasn't benefiting from Rapid Shot, or my monk from Flurry of Bows (5ft step, 1 attack - wtf?).

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Ok it seems my monk wasn't flurrying because he was wearing gauntlets... I've played too much NWN, I guess. I'll keep an eye on Rapid Shot, but it's probably just me being rusty at this game so don't bother looking into it.

I hate this combat lockup in Earth Temple, just as you come in from the spiral staircase. Most of the undead were destroyed, but the one left over is the problem sometimes. This may happen in vanilla, too, so it's not because of Co8/Temple+/Speedup().

I noticed units may get stuck in certain "unreachable" places, too, like on the wrong side of walls - maybe due to Speedup()? Unit is selectable but cannot move. It's happened twice, but you can just area transition or Teleport to regain control of them, so no big deal.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
However non-native W:H ratios will cause some problems with edge scrolling, so I'd stick to 1366x768.

Any chance you could fix that? Vanilla allows 800*600 when my desktop is 1366*768 and my GPU scales it to fullscreen and maintains 4:3 aspect ratio, with edge-scrolling. TemplePlus lets me run at 800*600 but I don't have horizontal edge-scrolling, just vertical (and the downward scroll isn't as sensitive as the upward - weird). I prefer to play at 800*600 because the UI and fonts are larger, and it's faster and more comfortable to play like that.

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
I hate this combat lockup in Earth Temple, just as you come in from the spiral staircase. Most of the undead were destroyed, but the one left over is the problem sometimes. This may happen in vanilla, too, so it's not because of Co8/Temple+/Speedup().
Still annoying though :P Can you upload a save with that situation?

I noticed units may get stuck in certain "unreachable" places, too, like on the wrong side of walls - maybe due to Speedup()? Unit is selectable but cannot move. It's happened twice, but you can just area transition or Teleport to regain control of them, so no big deal.
Is that actually behind walls or is it stuff like secret /locked doors that the character just runs past? It's a bit surprising if not because the pathfinding shouldn't even try to go there.

Any chance you could fix that? Vanilla allows 800*600 when my desktop is 1366*768 and my GPU scales it to fullscreen and maintains 4:3 aspect ratio, with edge-scrolling. TemplePlus lets me run at 800*600 but I don't have horizontal edge-scrolling, just vertical (and the downward scroll isn't as sensitive as the upward - weird). I prefer to play at 800*600 because the UI and fonts are larger, and it's faster and more comfortable to play like that.
Yes, grab build 410 :)
Note that it won't distort the aspect ratio so you'll still get black margins, but the cursor will lock to the actual render area and allow you to scroll. You could try increasing the width to approximate your native ratio if that bothers you, i.e. 1066x600.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Still annoying though :P Can you upload a save with that situation?

PM me your email or drive. Savefile is 300kb, compressed with 7z.

You'll be on the spiral staircase. Enter the door to the Earth dungeon and undead hall, just keep the party where they are and have the cleric turn undead, then end combat and run up the hall like I did, where another undead will attempt to spawn, who was out of the TU radius. That's where I've had it lock up.

Is that actually behind walls or is it stuff like secret /locked doors that the character just runs past? It's a bit surprising if not because the pathfinding shouldn't even try to go there.

Both times it was behind actual walls: once in the moathouse near the gnoll chamber and another time in the air temple near the Lamia. Next time it happens I'll take a pic/vid of it.

Yes, grab build 410 :)
Note that it won't distort the aspect ratio so you'll still get black margins, but the cursor will lock to the actual render area and allow you to scroll. You could try increasing the width to approximate your native ratio if that bothers you, i.e. 1066x600.

I have a brief moment of graphical distortion during area transition (cache?) - see Tower Ruin battle, just uploaded.

-Loading screen is not centered (it's top-left).
-Downward vertical scroll is less senstive than upward.
-Framerate is much better for me at 800*600 - which is to be expected.

Thanks!

Sitra Achara

Arcane
PM me your email or drive. Savefile is 300kb, compressed with 7z.
Gladly, but your profile appears to be blocked!

I think you can upload a 300k zip here though. Or you can use wikisend.com.

You'll be on the spiral staircase. Enter the door to the Earth dungeon and undead hall, just keep the party where they are and have the cleric turn undead, then end combat and run up the hall like I did, where another undead will attempt to spawn, who was out of the TU radius. That's where I've had it lock up.
This is a tricky one to replicate...
When it locks up, are you able to manually enter combat?

Both times it was behind actual walls: once in the moathouse near the gnoll chamber and another time in the air temple near the Lamia. Next time it happens I'll take a pic/vid of it.
Just to verify, it happened in the midst of normal movement, right?
Was it a small character who got stuck?

I have a brief moment of graphical distortion during area transition (cache?) - see Tower Ruin battle, just uploaded.
-Loading screen is not centered (it's top-left).
Aye, known issues from rescaling to non-native. Not critical but it's a bit jarring, yeah. Will prioritize it now.
Edit: Fixed in render overhaul

-Downward vertical scroll is less senstive than upward.
Improved in build 411. I've also widened the scrolling margin for windowed mode while I was at it.

edit: also added MMB scrolling in build 412. Hold and move in the direction you wish to scroll ("joystick mode"). Should make life easier for windowed mode (and full screen too I guess!). I'll add "pan scrolling" a la smartphones in the future (which is better and why? discuss!!!).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Gladly, but your profile appears to be blocked!

Unblocked, savefile sent.

This is a tricky one to replicate...
When it locks up, are you able to manually enter combat?

The vid shows combat mode starting and then just locking up before the UI was displayed. There's nothing to click on but I was able to hit Esc to reload.

Just to verify, it happened in the midst of normal movement, right?
Was it a small character who got stuck?

Yeah, just normal non-combat exploration and I'm pretty sure they were humans of max height.

Aye, known issues from rescaling to non-native. Not critical but it's a bit jarring, yeah. Will prioritize it now.
Improved in build 411. I've also widened the scrolling margin for windowed mode while I was at it.
edit: also added MMB scrolling in build 412. Hold and move in the direction you wish to scroll ("joystick mode"). Should make life easier for windowed mode (and full screen too I guess!). I'll add "pan scrolling" a la smartphones in the future (which is better and why? discuss!!!).

I'll check it out.

Another small issue that I forgot to mention:

800*600, distance between player and vendor inventory normal.

Nos1fgf.jpg

1366*768, distance between player and vendor inventory widened.

rJYZ3ps.jpg

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Combat hang against Falrinth, whose AI could also do with a lil' overhaul.
Probably caused by the animation ID 0 bug which I've added handling for

One of Senshock's support crew (the cleric who flanks) casts Prayer, buffing the player's party.
WAI (applies debuff)

Is it possible to stop direct damage spells from permeating walls and hitting units trying to use them as cover (e.g, Senshock's Lightning Bolts)?
Fixed 1.0.85

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Maybe you should add some kind of debug stack / script engine log dumping for these situations? Tracking that down can't be fun.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
I'll check Falrinth, the hang seems pathfinding related (probably the same issue as the stuck in wall bug). What would you suggest for his AI? Tbh it always seemed to me that a lone wizard doesn't stand a chance in a cramped room like that, short of teleporting out and preparing better... which he kinda does ;) Could be improved though.

Are you sure the Prayer buffed you? It also applies a debuff to unfriendlies.

Ray targetting is fucked for AI, it has no concept of that at all. But yeah it can be fixed.

There's already a logfile and various log printouts in the code and scripts, do you mean something more advanced?

Btw the videos are great, it looks like the Falrinth bug should be easy to reproduce even with a pc - something to loom forward to this evening :)

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
What would you suggest for his AI?

I dunno, just a beef-up. Maybe script him to summon something, or something.

teleporting out and preparing better... which he kinda does ;)

He does? I only noticed two Greater Temple Bugbears had taken up residence; Falrinth himself was nowhere to be seen. Then when I rested he suddenly reappeared, running around frantically begging for me not to hurt him: pretty pathetic prep-work, but funny. Btw, the GTBs attack Smigmal if she's in the opposite chamber (which is ok, and also funny).

Are you sure the Prayer buffed you? It also applies a debuff to unfriendlies.

Gah, I'm such a newbie... :roll:

Question on crafts: I have +3, Holy + Axio + Icy Burst + Frost. That's the limit, right?

Also:
Iuz gets 9 attacks?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom