Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

That Ultima V Remake

MetalCraze

Arcane
THAT Ultima V Remake.
How much does it suck compared to the original?

Turok

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
THAT Ultima V Remake.

Pfff you never play this version???

This version is just awesome. Try it if you dont have problem with dated graphics (dungeon siege 1 engine).

Wyrmlord

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
THAT Ultima V Remake.
Unfortunately, this is one of the most praised total conversion mods ever made.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's pretty good if you don't mind the Dung on Siege combat and quite close to the original. Great remake.

Silellak

Cipher
I will be honest and admit to being too much of a Lazarus fanboy to give an opinion without simply gushing over half the thread.

Suffice it to say, it's easily my favorite RPG of the last 5 years, if not longer. I may admit to enjoying games such as FO3 or Mass Effect, but it's a superficial enjoyment - my adoration for Ultima 7 and Lazarus leads me deep into the realms of the Fanboy Jungle, from which there is no return. If you liked Ultima 7, it's very likely you'll like Lazarus. It combines the dialogs/characterization/exploration of Ultima 7 with the story of Ultima 5, and improves upon Ultima 7's combat - though that's not terribly hard to do, considering how horrible Ultima 7's combat it was.

The combat IS RTwP, which is by Codexian standards a downgrade from the original's turn-based. However, I think the load-time-free single-map world (ala Ultima 7) is an improvement from Ultima 5's overworld vs. in-town dual-map system with random encounters, so it's a trade off.

Also, Lazarus' music is fucking awesome. Probably the best in the series.

The story is basically the same, but with much expanded dialog from the NPCs - both those in town, and your party members. They will talk both to each other, and outside-the-party NPCs when appropriate. Bring Dupre to the tavern Buccaneer's Den for an amusing scene. The biggest story change is that there's now an evil ending...I won't say anything more than that. There's also a few nods to future and past Ultimas that weren't present in the original, including a certain weapon from the first three games in the series.

The biggest flaws stem from the dev team's use of the Dungeon Siege engine. While the DS engine allowed for the fantastic one-map style of Ultima 7, it also has limitations that prevent teleportation spells from working correctly 100% of the time. They had to remove the Blink spell, because it was just too broken, and the Grappling Hook can be pretty buggy. Just save often, and you should be alright. Ship travel isn't particularly fantastic, either, and there's no magic carpet.

All that being said, if you hate Ultima 7, I don't suspect you'd like Lazarus either.

Rosh

Erudite
Lazarus was rather well done, despite the engine. The engine did have its good points, as mentioned above.

There's also a few nods to future and past Ultimas that weren't present in the original, including a certain weapon from the first three games in the series.

Ow, fuck...head hurts when I try to dredge up details like that from so long ago. In all three?

I remember the Quickblade from Enchantress, the Exotics from Exodus, and (ow, ow, ow, ow) the Light Blade and science fiction guns from Ultima I.

Andhaira

Arcane
But there's no way they could have mimiced Ultima 7's gameworld with NPC's who had jobs, schedules, the fact that you could make BREAD from flour...

Rosh

Erudite
AndhairaX said:
But there's no way they could have mimiced Ultima 7's gameworld with NPC's who had jobs, schedules, the fact that you could make BREAD from flour...

There are jobs and schedules to a point, though the item interactivity isn't like what you could expect from U7.

Silellak

Cipher
Rosh said:
Lazarus was rather well done, despite the engine. The engine did have its good points, as mentioned above.

There's also a few nods to future and past Ultimas that weren't present in the original, including a certain weapon from the first three games in the series.

Ow, fuck...head hurts when I try to dredge up details like that from so long ago. In all three?

I remember the Quickblade from Enchantress, the Exotics from Exodus, and (ow, ow, ow, ow) the Light Blade and science fiction guns from Ultima I.

Nope, just one of those three...I didn't want to point out the specific one, just to keep it somewhat of a mystery.

Spoiler in MINI-TEXT below:

It's the Elino, the Quickblade

Rosh said:
AndhairaX said:

There are jobs and schedules to a point, though the item interactivity isn't like what you could expect from U7.

True enough. I should have pointed that out, but as I said - Fanboy here, and Fanboys have very limited memory. Still, I didn't really find that I missed any of the item interactivity from Ultima 7 when playing through Lazarus.

Ultima 7 is still undoubtedly a superior game, if only because it's an original product, not a remake. But Lazarus comes far, far closer to Ultima 7 quality than a fan-based project has any right to.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Rosh said:
...the Quickblade from Enchantress...

I remember reading about this blade in the Ultima 7 readables somewhere. I was disappointed that it never appeared outside of Ultima 2. Wasn't it called Enilno or something very similar?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
JarlFrank said:
It's pretty good if you don't mind the Dung on Siege combat and quite close to the original. Great remake.

I do mind Dungeon Siege engine.

Well I did try the demo some time ago and JF is right, it is pretty good. My problem here really is the engine (camera drove me nuts).

Silellak

Cipher
GlobalExplorer said:
JarlFrank said:

I do mind Dungeon Siege engine.

Well I did try the demo some time ago and JF is right, it is pretty good. My problem here really is the engine (camera drove me nuts).

I never had too much trouble with the camera in DS or Lazarus. Nothing like the NWN2 camera.

I just kept the camera rotation keys mapped to AWSD and rotated the camera however was necessary. Played NWN1 the same way.

Unkillable Cat said:
Rosh said:
...the Quickblade from Enchantress...

I remember reading about this blade in the Ultima 7 readables somewhere. I was disappointed that it never appeared outside of Ultima 2. Wasn't it called Enilno or something very similar?

Either Enilno or Elino or something like that. I actually prefer the Shade Blade in Ultima 7, mostly due to its method of creation and its personality, as well as the sub-plot regarding its disappearance and subsequent reappearance in Ultima 7 Part 2.

Turok

Erudite
One thing to notice, the only thing that people really miss was a journal, if i remember well there is no journal on it, but in the remake of ultima VI (in work same engine, almost same people) is going to have journal.

Soo prepare some pencil and paper before play it :D

http://www.u6project.com/

Silellak

Cipher
Turok said:
One thing to notice, the only thing that people really miss was a journal, if i remember well there is no journal on it, but in the remake of ultima VI (in work same engine, almost same people) is going to have journal.

Soo prepare some pencil and paper before play it :D

http://www.u6project.com/

It was amusing watching all the confused newbies wondering where the automap and journal were...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually I wondered that too and was pleasantly surprised to find it missing. Reminds me of the good old days of note-taking.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I actually remember the days back when I still was a kid - I was drawing maps of dungeons from text-based adventures on ZX Spectrum. Not mentioning that even some old console games (not only ported PC RPGs) required that.
Haha and kids today write "but you can turn a compass on your HUD off on a hardest difficulty so see the game can please even hardcore gamers!". I imagine what would've happened if they found themselves even in a RT-FP game like Total Eclipse.

Rosh

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
Well judging by the amount of wanking in this thread I should download it ASAP.

Despite the combat and inability of the engine to fully reproduce all parts of the original (the aforementioned spells), even *I* like it.

Silellak

Cipher
Rosh said:
MetalCraze said:

Despite the combat and inability of the engine to fully reproduce all parts of the original (the aforementioned spells), even *I* like it.

If they had a boxed version, that quote should definitely be on the cover.

TheWesDude

Arcane
Patron
like anyone knows who rosh is...

oh wait, who???

and fuck all of you with your U7/5 love fest orgy full of penises.

give me U6/7.5 any day motherfuckers.

Antagonist

Liturgist
MetalCraze said:

Check the modding forum. There are some unofficial post 1.2 patches as well as some convenience mods, many made by the guy who was responsible for most of the coding. Unfortunately not all are kept in a single topic and one has to hunt down several older topics for the good ones. I can't remember which mods I used in the end but I could check later if this would help you. Hunger was especially a bitch as it didn't really add much to the game and your party could clear crop fields like no grasshopper could hope to accomplish.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah if the mods enhance gameplay, especially moving it more to Ultima's side without messing up the balance or anything - then please do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom