Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware That Which Sleeps - Vaporware Strategy RP

KingDinosaurGames

King Dinosaur Games
Patron
Developer
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not at all - just highly, highly delayed (it will be seven months as of October based on the post-KS beta date of March) for a variety of reasons that we've been pretty detailed about on the official forums. On the plus side the game looks much nicer and has a lot of added complexity, though mostly on the Dwarf Fortress/CK 2 simulation side as opposed to 4X gameplay. We're handling an issue with our Mod Tools release right now, but after that's out we're locking in the Beta and going through a testing cycle prior to release. As a part of that we'll be releasing pure gameplay videos. We do expect a long beta period so full release is certainly off the table until next year.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Not at all - just highly, highly delayed (it will be seven months as of October based on the post-KS beta date of March) for a variety of reasons that we've been pretty detailed about on the official forums. On the plus side the game looks much nicer and has a lot of added complexity, though mostly on the Dwarf Fortress/CK 2 simulation side as opposed to 4X gameplay. We're handling an issue with our Mod Tools release right now, but after that's out we're locking in the Beta and going through a testing cycle prior to release. As a part of that we'll be releasing pure gameplay videos. We do expect a long beta period so full release is certainly off the table until next year.

That's great to hear. I think the incredibly short EA / beta period for Bedlam really hurt it, and I'd hate to see TWS get the same reception.

Riso

Arcane
I don't give a fuck about this game anymore.
Instead of working on the gameplay it's only retarded modding tools shit for months on end nobody cares about or can use until there is actually a game!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The modding tools are nice to have for the devs as well when adding content to the game :M

Well looks like control of the PR has slipped. If the forums weren't the same twelve people at all hours of the day I'd expect they'd have a harder time keeping the complaints under control.

Andhaira

Arcane
Is this game single player only or is there a multiplayer option as well? Normally I loathe multiplayer, but in 4x strategy game, it's more fun to play against another hooman.

Lucky

Arcane
Is a month of no announcements now all it takes for people to think a game's dead? Anyone thinking that those initial deadlines for the beta and mod-tools were going to be met knows less than nothing about game-development. If it had, great, but getting something this ambitious done on time with such a small team was never a realistic expectation. That's what people seem to forget; it's still been less than a year since the kickstarter finished. Getting everything done within a year with no established team and only place-holders assets, without having it turn into a broken mess, would have been downright incredible. Fuck, doing it in two years with a team like this is still pretty amazing. A lot of much larger studios perform much worse than that, while having larger budgets and more experienced teams at their disposal.
I don't really care whether they release the game this year or the next, since what I've seen and heard so far makes me confident that this isn't vaporware, and since this is shaping up to be a game that I'll be playing for years, so I'd rather see it done well than rushed out to meet deadlines or to pacify delusional fanboys. People should learn to just check in on projects occasionally, rather than obsessively tracking their progress.

What complaints?

I checked and it's just some people on the official forum getting hysterical about the delays regarding proper mod-tools and the beta.

Andhaira

Arcane
Is a month of no announcements now all it takes for people to think a game's dead? Anyone thinking that those initial deadlines for the beta and mod-tools were going to be met knows less than nothing about game-development. If it had, great, but getting something this ambitious done on time with such a small team was never a realistic expectation. That's what people seem to forget; it's still been less than a year since the kickstarter finished. Getting everything done within a year with no established team and only place-holders assets, without having it turn into a broken mess, would have been downright incredible. Fuck, doing it in two years with a team like this is still pretty amazing. A lot of much larger studios perform much worse than that, while having larger budgets and more experienced teams at their disposal.
I don't really care whether they release the game this year or the next, since what I've seen and heard so far makes me confident that this isn't vaporware, and since this is shaping up to be a game that I'll be playing for years, so I'd rather see it done well than rushed out to meet deadlines or to pacify delusional fanboys. People should learn to just check in on projects occasionally, rather than obsessively tracking their progress.

I checked and it's just some people on the official forum getting hysterical about the delays regarding proper mod-tools and the beta.

I see you are new to the Codex. We are used to highly professional developers who deliver completed products on time, just like in the good old days. If you want to be part of the early access-alpha release-beta DLC kkkrowd please go here:

www.rpgwatch.com

And do not return.

Oh this isn't the initial deadlines. This is something like the third or fourth if you only count the mod tools and a couple dozen all together with those previous milestones that slipped endlessly before being quietly cancelled like the demo or the scenario viewer. And all that for a kickstarter that billed itself as being done save for a last bit of polish. I've done kickstarters before and I've seen this pattern before. I think it means no one's getting a game.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Is this game single player only or is there a multiplayer option as well? Normally I loathe multiplayer, but in 4x strategy game, it's more fun to play against another hooman.
There's been mo mention of multiplayer so far. And since the game is very asymmetric, it'd probably be a bitch to implement.

Lucky

Arcane
The kickstarter never gave me the impression that they were nearly finished, though I did go back and see that they'd been self-funding development for a year prior to launching the kickstarter. Still a really good pace with their team size. Sure, it probably would have saved them trouble if they hadn't made any promises about those tools, but the ones that matter are showing progress so I see no reason to fret yet. I simply doubt that this will be a kickstarter-dud, because the results they've shown are way beyond what is typical for projects like that. I mean, Octopus City Blues and Barkley 2 are way slower and I'm similarly not worried that they'll get released, because there's a difference between being slow and not going anywhere.

No updates? The dev just posted in this thread 4 days ago.

It's the lack of big progress updates, but the fact that there's no radio silence makes their forum drama rather premature.

There's been mo mention of multiplayer so far. And since the game is very asymmetric, it'd probably be a bitch to implement.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that they explicitly said that there will be no multiplayer. Doing that properly, while staying within budget, would not be realistic.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Absolutely amazing video and probably the best one so far when it comes to bringing a lot of game elements into a cohesive whole without getting too technical about it. Gameplay video can't come out soon enough.

:greatjob:

Last edited:

Nahel

Arcane
Are we finally getting a good and innovative strategy game? Sounds too good to be true!:thumbsup:

agris

Arcane
Patron
KingDinosaurGames

Did I miss something, or when did you TWS get static hand-drawn maps? Or is there an additional option, Procedural Mode, that produces a random scenario with various options to tick on or off?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom