Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The 55 greatest gaming moments

Direwolf

Arcane
A question: Is the movie FF7: Advent Children supposed to make more sense if I actually play the game?

Qin

Novice
The commands are half the fun.

Really.

And it doesn't even need a 3D accelerator to work.

suibhne

Erudite
Direwolf said:
A question: Is the movie FF7: Advent Children supposed to make more sense if I actually play the game?

Sure, it makes slightly more sense. But it still blows massive chunks.

Wanna buy a used copy? :lol:

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
I won't comment on the list, since I'm too lazy and it sukz anyway, but I'll list some of my most memorable gaming moments:

1. Shooting the Overseer at the end of Fallout 1. Serves 'im righ.

2. Deus Ex - the intro movie, the music, some of the dialogues... and the ending in which JC Denton merges with Helios.

3. The philosophical twist behind Planescape: Torment, and especially the scene with Ravel + the ending.

4. The freaky, scary *gasp* scenes in System Shock 2, and being killed in cyberspace in System Shock 1.

5. A couple of endings in Vampire: Bloodlines, especially the one in which you decide to open the Sarcophagus (the first ending I actually chose, and came as one hell of a surprise).

6. Finishing Tyrian for the first time. The whole game is one of my favourites, especially because of the music.

7. Beating Kreissack in One Must Fall for the first time. I was very young at the time and it was quite a feat.

8. Being eaten by a grue.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
7. Beating Kreissack in One Must Fall for the first time. I was very young at the time and it was quite a feat.
That Raven guy who used Pyros (tier 1 boss), he was way harder, but I know what you mean. It took me forever to finally beat Raven, and I was so relieved.

Greenskin13

Erudite
PrzeSzkoda said:
6. Finishing Tyrian for the first time. The whole game is one of my favourites, especially because of the music.

Absolutely. Tyrian has, for me, the best soundtrack of any game to date, especially considering the fact that most of the songs were one minute loops. As much as I love Tyrian, I have to say that the music was somewhat wasted on it. The songs could have conveyed very powerful emotions that just aren't employed in a fly-by shooter like Tyrian.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tyrian... yes, that was a nice game, but best soundtrack ever? That's far from the truth. Granted, it was /excellent/, even too good for the game [which was also very, very good, the most motivating 'shmup' I ever played], but the best soundtrack ever? Come on.

What about Jeremy Soule when he was good? [Total Annihilation?]
What about the 'operas' in Heroes of Might and Magic 2?
What about Turrican 2?

Don't use the phrase 'best FOO ever' lightly, unless you can specify why you think so.

Focus: The greatest gaming moment of all times was... watching my brother play Doom when I was young, and in turn becoming such a pussy that I never played an FPS before I turned 18. Still, I loved watching him blast all those demons to hell. I remember the sounds they made when they were close. I remember hiding under the table when I heard the pinky-demons groan.

THAT'S immersion.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Jasede said:
Tyrian... yes, that was a nice game, but best soundtrack ever? That's far from the truth. Granted, it was /excellent/, even too good for the game [which was also very, very good, the most motivating 'shmup' I ever played], but the best soundtrack ever? Come on.

Best music module/MIDI soundtrack, I'd say (ex aequo with Deus Ex). If I were to choose THE best soundtrack, I'd probably go for Total Annihilation (which is also a part of one of my most memorable gaming moments - playing over the Internet for the first time, weehee!). There were also some great tracks in Earth: 2140 and Savage Arena, if you're into that kind of music.

Qin

Novice
I must state that Dragon Quest (any; take your pick) had one of the finest videogame scores I've ever heard.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Jasede said:

What about Jeremy Soule when he was good? [Total Annihilation?]
What about the 'operas' in Heroes of Might and Magic 2?
What about Turrican 2?

Don't use the phrase 'best FOO ever' lightly, unless you can specify why you think so.

Sorry, but I'm sticking to my guns. Tyrian still has the best soundtrack for me. Admittedly, I'm probably on the least avid gamer on Codex and I haven't played many games (none of the ones you mentioned, actually), but of the games I played, Tyrian's music beats out the rest. This is not a choice I made on the fly, but one that I've believed for quite a long time.

And I did specify why I think Tyrian's soundtrack is the best, because the music had an emotional captivity, one that surpasses even the soundtracks of games that focused on emotional responses from the player (ex. RPGs, especially Final Fantasy games). Many games have a few good tracks that send a little jolt coarsing through my nerves when I hear them, but no game delivers that more consistently with each track than Tyrian.

If you want a point by point analysis on why I think Tyrian has the best soundtrack, I can't give it to you. I am not a musician; I wouldn't know where to begin. All I can give is my gut-level reaction to the music I hear from the games I've played.

I will say that Tyrian's music did not entirely connect with the setting or subject matter of Tyrian the game itself, but I based my decision on whether I enjoyed the music purely. If I had to chose what game had great music that also fit with the environment, I'd go with Monkey Island.

Bradylama

Arcane
Personal greatest gaming moments are always clouded in a haze of nostalgia.

Myself, for instance, finds the most nostalgic moment being "sledding" in the original Starsiege: Tribes. That was the first time I ever played a game online, and no game since has used jetpacks as effectively. I just wish I could care about its sequels. :(

Aeris dying is hardly a greatest moment. Saddest moment maybe. Definitely the most memorable, seeing as how not even Snape Killls Dumbledore could top its meme as a spoiler.

Not for me, though. I hated that bitch. What point is there in building a character towards being a healer in a three member party game that has a versatile magic system? Tifa could cast heal and had that sweet slot machine limit break.

What a dumb list, though. Cheap thrills indeed.

Avin

Liturgist
Finishing PS:T
Discovery that I could kill anything in FO and win the game.
Discovering that, man, you kill Topman you could get his weapon at Megaman 3!!!!!!!!
Finishing Zelda.

BTW, FF6 > any FF ever.

galsiah

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
That Raven guy who used Pyros (tier 1 boss), he was way harder, but I know what you mean. It took me forever to finally beat Raven, and I was so relieved.
I can't agree there.
Raven was predictable. He'd spend half the time doing his rush attack [so you block it, then give him hell]. He'd quite often do his spin-in-the-air (aka sitting duck) attack too.

With any jaguar that's not abysmally slow, it's simple to win by walking backwards and forwards until he tries his rush attack (and is a sitting duck once you block). If he ever spins in the air, you jump in and overhead throw him into the wall. If he gets too close, you can usually knock him down, or jump away (overhead throwing if he rushes while you jump).
If you are abysmally slow, I admit that it's hard.

This might not be the most interesting of tactics (and not one I'd use if it's an even match), but it works quite well when you're much weaker than Raven.

Kreissack is nothing like this predictable. If he's easier than Raven when you meet him it's probably because your upgrades are closer to his at that point - or you're not patient enough when fighting Raven.

Personally I found Crystal hardest, but did get a lot of satisfaction when throwing her shadow jaguar leap into the wall.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Seconded. Daggerfall should probably get the 'best soundtrack in gaming history' award.

Though the 'best overall sound in gaming history' should prolly go to Thief 1.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Geez, daggerfall? It was not bad, but seriously. Games like stellar 7 and half of the scumm games had tunes that STILL stick in my head today.

I still hink xcom had the most immersive music, which really creeps me out to this day when I really am getting into a game....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom