Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Adventures of Lord Jazaz: HOMM 5 Beta Impressions

Jason

chasing a bee
After dealing with the twin humiliations of Fileplanet and Starforce, I had a chance to play the recent beta for Nival's Heroes of Might and Magic 5, published by Ubisoft. Unfortunately, it was strictly multiplayer. As we all know, multiplayer is only good for Koreans and child molesters. So I explored the outlands of the internet and found a fix that unlocks the single player portion of the beta, thanks to some guy named Maximus.

The first thing I noticed about HOMM 5 after loading it up is that it looked somewhat purty. The art style was a bit too bright and exaggerated, but it was nowhere near as bad as World of Warcraft or most Japanese games. Unfortunately, it also ran like shit on my mid-range computer. It was still fairly choppy even after setting the texture quality to "Very Low" and the resolution to 800 x 600.

The main campaign wasn't available in the "modified" single player component, but the Hot Seat option was. I started a new 2 player match playing as the Inferno faction against Heaven. For my hero I chose Lord Jazaz, Flagbearer of Darkness. He was also a cross-dresser.

Lord Jazaz started his unorthodox lifestyle on the world screen. From there he could gather piles of gold and claim ore mines in an effort to quickly build his stunning new wardrobe. He could then switch to the city screen to recruit new life-partners and plan his city's expansion. The choices for an Inferno city included a Town Hall, Mages Guild, Hell Gate, and other fine establishments. He could pay a visit to the Tavern to hear uninteresting rumors and hire new heroes if need be.

Back on the world screen, Jazaz would occasionally encounter haters and have to engage in turn based tactical combat. This took place on an eighty square grid. Each turn, the peons could move or attack one of the other peons. I could decide the angle of a peon's attack, but that's about it. There didn't seem to be very many options, at least at this low level. Jazaz stood majestically outside of the grid, aloof to the turmoil within. He could attack any of the enemy peons or cast a spell (if he had any). The enemy peons could not attack Jazaz, but some could steal bits of his mana. Despite being invincible, killing Jazaz's peons would cause him to lose the battle and flee the scene permanently. I would have preferred it if he could be damaged or killed in battle instead of just running away when the peons were wiped out. As it was, it felt very anti-climatic and unsatisfying.

Eventually, the unthinkable did happen. Lord Jazaz lost all his life-partners and he fled like the timid little queen he is. I had the choice of hiring a new hero at the Tavern, surrendering to Heaven, or quitting to the desktop. I couldn't imagine replacing Lord Jazaz or surrendering, so I quit to the desktop.

As you can probably tell from the screens, the game still has a way to go before it can be called a finished product. The recent delay has bought Nival a few months at least for plenty of fine tuning. Lets hope they spend that time on improving the iffy tactical combat and not on spell animations or new city expansion tweaks. If they do it right, Lord Jazaz may one day rise again.

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
Eh, I've got nothing against the graphics, but the battles look extremely shitty. The grid is too small and the units look too small. And the fact the hero still can't get hit while himself being able to hit other units(?) make it awkward. I guess Nival tried to stay close to the original games while still doing some improvements. They missed the boat, as of now.

Also, great review!

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Hm, let's just hope that it'll be greatly improved upon before being released. :aiee:

Jason

chasing a bee
It just occurred to me that we should have a forum section where we review games we haven't even played. The less you know about the game the better. And include plenty of screenshots from other games or TV shows. It can be called "Fuck You, This Game Sucks" or something like that.

VasikkA

Liturgist
What?! You actually have to play these games?

Thank the gods I'm not a reviewer.

Jason

chasing a bee
Why doesn't metallix write reviews? He's pretty articulate for a Kazakhirussian and he's up on all that RTS cyber athelete stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom