Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Black Annex (A QBasic Game!)

So I found out someone made a game that looks a lot like OG Syndicate in QBasic! I'm 10 years late on this news, but I find it incredible. Q-Basic was one of the most painful languages I ever used to do anything graphical. I had a better time trying to recreate Galaga on a TI-83 calculator than original Donkey Kong (1981) on Q-Basic. I am astounded. Check out this trailer! I've also got an article about it linked below. The host site appears to be down and the steam page looks defunct. I can't imagine the torture some poor misguided soul experienced to produce this in that language.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/457418/black-annex-is-the-best-qbasic-game-youve-ever-seen.html

Last edited:

Atrachasis

Augur
I'd wager that he actually used QB64, not the original QBASIC. QB64 is backwards compatible, but has much more extensive native I/O functionalities (I believe it uses SDL). It's actually quite a decent language. I have a full-blown web application server written in QB64 running in a productive environment.

Oh, man, I was looking forward to this one back in the day, but I eventually forgot about it due to a lack of news.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom