Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News The Complex Challenges of Intuitive Design

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Lionhead Studios

The Fable series is one of the most successful RPG series of the last decade. Peter Molyneux managed to reinvent the genre twice - and he will do it once more with Fable 3 - and his innovations (farting emotes) and contributions to the genre (farting emotes) are legion. Hence it doesn't come as a surprise that he wishes to share his wisdom now.
<br>
<br>
<a href="http://www.videogamer.com/news/fable_iii_to_re-invent_long-established_game_mechanics.html">According to GDC 2010 organisers, game development legend Peter Molyneux will deliver a lecture titled "The Complex Challenges of Intuitive Design" at GDC 2010 in March.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">The lecture will use Fable III to show "examples of long-established game mechanics which Lionhead intends to replace with more user-friendly and modern iterations".
<br>
<br>
With Fable II, Molyneux introduced a single button combat system. Perhaps Fable III will get rid of the controller all together.</p>
<br>
<br>
Stay tuned - I will inform you as soon as Pete reveals his insights.
<br>
<br>
Yes, this is basically just the announcement that there will be news at a later time. I hope you can cope with that. If not, feel free to enter whiner-mode at once.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/96684-pete-molyneux-to-speak-on-fable-iii-at-gdc.html">The Banshee</A>

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
:requisite remark on how idiotic Molyneux has become:

:singletearoftheeagle:

Martin

Educated
Children under 11 deserve action rpgs too.

It can even be educational.....

I think.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Martin said:
Children under 11 deserve action rpgs too.
You sick bastard, what have children ever done to you? Noone deserves to play Fable, maybe except rapists and pedos but even for them that may be too harsh sentence, better just show some mercy and kill them.

With Fable II, Molyneux introduced a single button combat system. Perhaps Fable III will get rid of the controller all together.
:shock: ... :| ... :cry:

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
It would not surprise me if the game uses Natal and removes the controller.

That single button shit did not work. It sounded shallow and it played just as shallow and is sounded.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Combat systems suck anyway. IMO as soon as combat starts, they should just show you a cutscene of how much you pwn the enemies. Much better. Also: it requires not even 1 button.

Phelot

Arcane
"With Fable II, Molyneux introduced a single button combat system"

I remember how Doom had like 30 buttons you had to push to attack.

VentilatorOfDoom said:
Combat systems suck anyway. IMO as soon as combat starts, they should just show you a cutscene of how much you pwn the enemies. Much better. Also: it requires not even 1 button.

But remember how fable 2 was about (retarded) choices and consequences?

Cutscene with 3 options:
1. Pwn them easily.
2. Pwn them slowly over an extended period of time.
3. Almost get pwned yourself but at the last second totally flip the odds and Awesome Pwn them into the ground.

Shannow

Waster of Time
VentilatorOfDoom said:
[Intelligence]: So the cutscenes will be unskippable?

Yes, this is basically just the announcement that there will be news at a later time. I hope you can cope with that. If not, feel free to enter whiner-mode at once.
So will you at least be attending the <s>clown-show</s> lecture? Ninja-reporter-style?

EDIT: The fuck?!? No striking out anymore, or am I doing wong now?

Longshanks

Augur
Shannow said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
[Intelligence]: So the cutscenes will be unskippable?

So will you at least be attending the <s>clown-show</s> lecture? Ninja-reporter-style?

EDIT: The fuck?!? No striking out anymore, or am I doing wong now?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Occasionally Fatal said:
molyneux has become nothing more than the punchline to a joke that isn't really as funny as it is pathetic.

There are still many cesspools on the net where he is considered a genius who, along with Miyamoto, helped gaming to become the serious and respected genre it is now. One of those I used to grace with my presence was ironically a website dedicated to reviewing and promoting old games. There was a shift in this tendency when more and more started to rave about the brand new shitty console games, but I knew it had completely declined the day I saw that they posted a review for the new Prince of Persia game a few weeks after it came out; it basically said that the game was pretty much the pinacle of gaming because it assisted you so much and kept it barely noticeable, allowing you to easily believe that you were a good player while in truth the game was doing most of the work. That's exactly the kind of crap Molyneux has been vomitting for years now.

I could accept the ongoing fellatio towards mediocrities like Half-Life 2, but when that site dedicated to old games started to review new mediocrities and praised them for playing themselves for you, I just left.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Gragt said:
There are still many cesspools on the net where he is considered a genius who, along with Miyamoto, helped gaming to become the serious and respected genre it is now.
What's wrong with Miyamoto?

Gragt said:
There was a shift in this tendency when more and more started to rave about the brand new shitty console games, but I knew it had completely declined the day I saw that they posted a review for the new Prince of Persia game a few weeks after it came out; it basically said that the game was pretty much the pinacle of gaming because it assisted you so much and kept it barely noticeable, allowing you to easily believe that you were a good player while in truth the game was doing most of the work. That's exactly the kind of crap Molyneux has been vomitting for years now.

Gah, the last PoP game was such a bucket of fail. The first 3 were a good example of iterative development, I thought. You had the first one, which was the baseline. Then the second one came along and fucked some stuff up, but it also went in some interesting directions. Then the third one came along and did a reasonable job combining the better elements of the first two, but the age of the engine was beginning to show and some flaws still remained from the earlier games. Then they decided they needed to rape the franchise. it annoys me particularly because it's predecessors are the only "platformer" games I've enjoyed.

/tangent

the hoopleheads will always believe what the man on stage says.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Gragt said:
I.C. Wiener said:
What's wrong with Miyamoto?

What's good with him?
I would say something along the lines of Super Mario Bros 3 or Zelda: ALTTP but I suppose they are considered consolefag trash here?

If you don't like Nintendo games period, that's just super for you but Miyamoto has never had pretensions of being anything more than a toy maker, hence the Wii and such. It's a big stretch to compare him to Molyneux.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So is he going to basically lecture on how to be bat shit fucking crazy insane... and still stay employed?

ChristofferC

Magister
"Intuitive" is a bullshit marketing term that means familiar or less complex. You can not figure out how to play a game by intuition, only by prior experience and practice.

Longshanks

Augur
Occasionally Fatal said:
Gah, the last PoP game was such a bucket of fail. The first 3 were a good example of iterative development, I thought. You had the first one, which was the baseline. Then the second one came along and fucked some stuff up, but it also went in some interesting directions. Then the third one came along and did a reasonable job combining the better elements of the first two, but the age of the engine was beginning to show and some flaws still remained from the earlier games. Then they decided they needed to rape the franchise. it annoys me particularly because it's predecessors are the only "platformer" games I've enjoyed.

/tangent
tangent
There is a reason for the decline. Jordan Mechner, creator of the original games, has had no hand in the last 3... Sands of Time being his last. Is back as lead for the new movie tie-in.
/tangent

St. Toxic

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
Is it possible to dumb down fable more? I don't think games can require negative intelligence.

[Intelligence] So you don't think games can require negative intelligence eh?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom